fish4dinner: An attack on catch and release angling

Rate this topic

CWitek

While scrolling through the comments on ASMFC's striped bass Addendum II, I came across a reference to a website from something called "fish4dinner."

Paginng through the site, it was clearly an attack on conservation-minded anglers and for-hire operators; nothing on the site provided any hint as to who operated it, although that didn't stop them from asking for donations to their cause.

Here's some of the rhetoric from the page:

For far too long the voice of those who wish to harvest fish for dinner has been an afterthought in the regulatory process. Our mission is to help regulators understand the cultural, social and economic importance of the recreational food fishery. Killing more than half of the recreationally caught fish through discarding them to die is not the answer. We can do better. 

To date the deciding voice in fishery management has been driven by an small, elite, well off, segment of the recreational fishing community who have pushed for management practices that demand abundance at the expense of harvest, never considering the mortality caused by releasing millions of fish, never offering to help contribute to a single rebuilding effort. This needs to change. 

I started nosing around the Internet, and it appears that this site may be related to a group calling itself the East Coast Fisheries Coalition, which claims to represent charter boat associations located between Massachusetts and Maryland.  Such Coalition is a Rhode Island not-for-profit corporation, which was formed in June 2023; it intends to operate as a trade association that qualifies under Section 501(c)(6) of the Internal Revenue Code.  Its agent for service of process, and its president, is Capt. Richard Bellavance, who is also president of the Rhode Island Party and Charter Boat Association.  Its decleared purpose is "we intend to advocate for the ability to sustainably harvest fish for dinner."

The site includes the predictable attacks on the science, which many of us supposedly favor because it supports our conservation goals, even if, according to the website, the science is wrong.

Apart from being a remarkable exhibition of bad grammar and sometimes nearly incomprehensibe sentences, the website provides a very good look at what anglers concerned with the long-term health of the striped baas stock are up against in the Addendum II process, and at ASMFC generally.

I am sure that most of you were happy to learn that you are now part of a small, elite, well off segment of the recreational fishing community, given that in other threads, you merely call yourselves "regular Joes."

You may be "regular Joes," but it seems that you're scaring someone into doing things like this all the same.

Edited by CWitek

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

4 mins ago, CWitek said:

While scrolling through the comments on ASMFC's striped bass Addendum II, I came across a reference to a website from something called "fish4dinner."

Paginng through the site, it was clearly an attack on conservation-minded anglers and for-hire operators; nothing on the site provided any hint as to who operated it, although that didn't stop them from asking for donations to their cause.

Here's some of the rhetoric from the page:

For far too long the voice of those who wish to harvest fish for dinner has been an afterthought in the regulatory process. Our mission is to help regulators understand the cultural, social and economic importance of the recreational food fishery. Killing more than half of the recreationally caught fish through discarding them to die is not the answer. We can do better. 

To date the deciding voice in fishery management has been driven by an small, elite, well off, segment of the recreational fishing community who have pushed for management practices that demand abundance at the expense of harvest, never considering the mortality caused by releasing millions of fish, never offering to help contribute to a single rebuilding effort. This needs to change. 

I started nosing around the Internet, and it appears that this site may be related to a group calling itself the East Coast Fisheries Coalition, which claims to represent charter boat associations located between Massachusetts and Maryland.  Such Coalition is a Rhode Island not-for-profit corporation, which was formed in June 2023; it intends to operate as a trade association that qualifies under Section 501(c)(6) of the Internal Revenue Code.  It's agent for service of process, and its president, is Capt. Richard Bellavance, who is also president of the Rhode Island Party and Charter Boat Association.  It's decleared purpose is "we intend to advocate for the ability to sustainably harvest fish for dinner."

The site includes the predictable attacks on the science, which many of us supposedly favor because it supports our conservation goals, even if, according to the website, the science is wrong.

Apart from being a remarkiable exhibition of bad grammar and sometimes nearly incomprehensibe sentences, the website provides a very good look at what anglers concerned with the long-term health of the striped baas stock are up against in the Addendum II process, and at ASMFC generally.

I am sure that most of you were happy to learn that you are now part of a small, elite, well off segment of the recreational fishing community, given that in other threads, you merely call yourselves "regular Joes."

You may be "regular Joes," but it seems that you're scaring someone into doing things like this all the same.

Social media creates platforms that meet the individual’s needs, doesn’t speak to reality. Sadly, but it certainly gives this elite rec fisher a view of what’s out there….

Missing Wilmington Vermont but loving the Ditch

44 mins ago, CWitek said:

The RFA tried that elitist stuff 20 years ago - remember how they railed on about how they were sticking up for the "common man"? :laugh: Umm...if you mean multimillionaire boat builders and associated industries...sure....but the common man? Oh...that was some good stuff :) 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

48 mins ago, CWitek said:

Its agent for service of process, and its president, is Capt. Richard Bellavance, who is also president of the Rhode Island Party and Charter Boat Association.  Its decleared purpose is "we intend to advocate for the ability to sustainably harvest fish for dinner."

I wonder what kind of effort it would take to let striped bass fishermen know that the "Rhode Island Party and Charter Boat Association" just declared itself as the enemy to striped bass conservation and to get people on board with not giving any of their member businesses a single dollar to fish on their boats? Charles, I don't know anything about Section 501(c)(6) of the Internal Revenue Code - but do they have to disclose donations? Would be interesting to see who is supporting this absurdity with their wallets so that those businesses can also be held accountable for an attempt to drive fisheries that are on life support further into the dumpster.

Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

On 1/22/2024 at 12:22 PM, z-man said:

Wow! Killing and eating is better for the the fish than catch and release. That didn’t work out to well for other species that are not released like cod, flounder, etc. *

Perhaps a free lobotomy comes along with the six-pack license.

Edited by TimS
quote edited

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

27 mins ago, TimS said:

I wonder what kind of effort it would take to let striped bass fishermen know that the "Rhode Island Party and Charter Boat Association" just declared itself as the enemy to striped bass conservation and to get people on board with not giving any of their member businesses a single dollar to fish on their boats? Charles, I don't know anything about Section 501(c)(6) of the Internal Revenue Code - but do they have to disclose donations? Would be interesting to see who is supporting this absurdity with their wallets so that those businesses can also be held accountable for an attempt to drive fisheries that are on life support further into the dumpster.

I've always viewed that sort of angler action as a way to dissuade this sort of activity.  When I was with CCA NY, I used to talk about a "Fish with a friend" Program," which would provide shops and boats supporting conservation an endorsement sticker, and permission to use the program's name in advertising, with the intent of supporting such folks and dissuading fishermen from going to the anti-conservation businesses.  But it never got off the ground.

My guess is that they'll have to file an IRS Form 990, which is public, but filed well after the fact.  I used to follow RFA's 990s--which were remarkably informative, revealing just how little they spent on lobbying, how much on publicity, and how, without Healey making repeated loans, they would have folded up long before they did--but they would come out close to a year after the tax year ended.

Edited by CWitek

17 mins ago, Bergallmaster said:

Has there been a species other than blues, that has had a pure bag limit with no size? Im curious how that would work out.

I can't think of any inshore fish offhand.  It usually started off either the other way, a size limit but no bag--fluke and weakfish were both like that for a while--or either entirely unregulated, wint both size and bag limits imposed at the same time.

I have to believe that if there wasn't so much sentimentality expressed over the snapper blue fishery, that blues would have a size limit, too.

27 mins ago, CWitek said:

Perhaps a free lobotomy comes along with the six-pack license.

Nah, too much diesel fumes over too many years plus starting with someone that isn’t all that bright to begin with...

One way or another the six-pack and party boats are going bye-bye and it won’t be soon enough.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

20 mins ago, CWitek said:

I can't think of any inshore fish offhand.  It usually started off either the other way, a size limit but no bag--fluke and weakfish were both like that for a while--or either entirely unregulated, wint both size and bag limits imposed at the same time.

I have to believe that if there wasn't so much sentimentality expressed over the snapper blue fishery, that blues would have a size limit, too.

Kids need to learn how to kill and waste a resource at a young age, we can’t deprived them of that lol.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

I ask cause what we've been doing isnt working very well. At least for fish people like to eat. I wonder if we might be better off going to a straight bag limit. Wanna keep 3 10" fluke? Sure but no trying to trade up. Once its in the cooler, it stays. Might lower the release mortality rate.

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

13 mins ago, Bergallmaster said:

I ask cause what we've been doing isnt working very well. At least for fish people like to eat. I wonder if we might be better off going to a straight bag limit. Wanna keep 3 10" fluke? Sure but no trying to trade up. Once its in the cooler, it stays. Might lower the release mortality rate.

And how would you enforce that? Hard enough to enforce at the docks or beach.

52 mins ago, CWitek said:

I've always viewed that sort of angler action as a way to dissuade this sort of activity.  When I was with CCA NY, I used to talk about a "Fish with a friend" Program," which would provide shops and boats supporting conservation an endorsement sticker, and permission to use the program's name in advertising, with the intent of supporting such folks and dissuading fishermen from going to the anti-conservation businesses.

How do the 'for hire' guys you know, the ones fighting for conservation, feel about the guy running RI's 'for hire' advocacy organization starting a fillet and release fish hog group? I'd imagine there's some overlap...NY/RI fish the same waters some of the time, no?

Edited by TimS