Grassy Key, Fla Keys

Rate this topic

Mummichog

15 hours ago, jerseystriper said:

Good luck-yes- I am envious. 

Thanks.  Hopefully we get a week of sunny skies and calm seas.  The weather can make or break these kind of trips.  

Caught a 30ish pound goliath off the deck in 2020.  Wonder if he's still around.  Or got bigger and moved off to deeper water.  I'll have the goggles on and doing recon on day one.  :) 

• 1 month later...

We used to stay at the Gulfview right next to the Dolphin Research Center. Grassy Key is a great location. 

"A land without memories is a people without liberty" - Robert E. Lee

55 mins ago, hhager23 said:

We used to stay at the Gulfview right next to the Dolphin Research Center. Grassy Key is a great location. 

only drawback is I wish we were closer to a cut.  And closer so sombrero reef.  It’s not too bad, though.  I like trolling around Grassy Key Bank for barracuda, though.  Quick and easy trip.

Posted (edited)
7 mins ago, MikeK said:

Have stayed at Rainbow Bend fishing lodge several times.  They used to give you a 13 ft boston whaler to use for every night spent at the resort.  Love Grassy Key.  

I think they still give you the boat.  The first time I went to The Keys, 25ish years ago, we stayed at Captain Pip's.  Down by the 7 Mile Bridge.  Our rental came with an 18 foot Wellcraft.  Porky's BBQ was next door.  It was the perfect intro to The Keys.

Edited by Mummichog

On 3/3/2024 at 10:01 AM, MikeK said:

Have stayed at Rainbow Bend fishing lodge several times.  They used to give you a 13 ft boston whaler to use for every night spent at the resort.  Love Grassy Key.  

When I was a kid in the seventies we stayed there. Had a blast with those little whalers. Would run to the reefs and catch a bucket full of grunts and then use them for shark fishing off the dock at night. I hooked into some massive sharks doing that. Couldn’t get me to swim in the water during the day after that!

Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Just now, Bayviewrr said:

When I was a kid in the seventies we stayed there. Had a blast with those little whalers. Would run to the reefs and catch a bucket full of grunts and then use them for shark fishing off the dock at night. I hooked into some massive sharks doing that. Couldn’t get me to swim in the water during the day after that!

We were wading a flat one day and had a shark swim by the opposite side of the anchored boat that was bigger than the boat.  We got back in the boat quickly after the shark passed, lol.

19 mins ago, Bayviewrr said:

I use barracuda filets off the dock for sharks.  And tie the cuda rack off the dock for chum.  Had two sharks fighting over it one night.  They made quite the racket. 

3 mins ago, RAW said:

Any trip to the “Purple Isles” is awesome with great memories. Hard not to go back again and again. 

I've been going to The Keys, almost yearly, for 24 years and this the first time I've heard them called the Purple Isles.  Learn something new every day.  

1 hour ago, Mummichog said:

I've been going to The Keys, almost yearly, for 24 years and this the first time I've heard them called the Purple Isles.  Learn something new every day.  

"World Record Permit and bonefish still swim between Marathon and Key Largo, all within 1 mile of the overseas highway"