Toyota 4runner questions

NJsurf2

I am considering purchasing a late model, used 4runner for a second vehicle and for use on the sand.  I currently own a Nissan xterra which I use for this purpose.  I have a few questions that I'm hoping I can get some input on.  First I'm trying to decide whether to target the SR5 or the Limited model?  With one or the other do best on the beach?  That's the main question I have.

Neither one has the transfer case shifter, KDSS, terrain select and crawl that you want.  I am not sure if they have the rear differential e-lock. Get an original Trail edition (not the later one, which is an SR5 with eye candy), TRD OffRoad or TRD Offroad Pro.  Mileage is not a real concern, frame corrosion is - you want one that was professionally rustproofed, when new, with either a petroleum or lanolin based product, and then maintained (the coating) on a regular basis, at least yearly.  These truck frames tend to rust from the inside out so you need to look inside the voids that you can, knock on suspicious areas with a pick (vice a claw) hammer,  I also strongly recommend you remove the engine and transmission skid plate before inspection, because these cross members rust from the inside if sand from the beach is allowed to collect and stay in these 2 crossmembers.

Flatwing is 100% right. There one of the best real suv's for the beach. But they do have rust problems with the frams. I had a 2004 Taco TRD, I loved the truck for a DD and for the beach, but the fram started to rust when it was about 6 or 7 years old. They never fixed it. I got rid of it . 

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

Thanks for the replies!  My mechanic is suggesting ziebart.  I had a oil based spray applied to my xterra which is a 2004, and been on IBSP for almost 15 yrs, but I'm dealing with lotsa frame rust now.  I need to track down the name of the stuff I had applied to the xterra and will post it when I track it down. 

Jost Undercoating used Waxol on my 2016 - it has been maintained yearly by either myself of Jost - surface rust, non-pitted, has occurred, but almost exclusively on sharp edges.  It has been controlled with the use of Rustoleum Rust reformer, but I must note that I treated the OEM Steel skid plates with Rustoleum 2 part Epoxy Truck Bed Liner when the truck was brand new.  Any petroleum or Lanolin based coating will be ablated friction with the sand, the truck bed liner has never required maintenance.  But applying it is laborious and temperature dependent for it to cure with a lot of odor in a well ventilated area.

Thanks much Flatwing for explaining.  On my xterra I had a product called "Carwell" (petroleum based) applied several times.  The xterra already had a decent amount of rust before the treatments, so it wasnt able to rein in the corrosion to well. I also purchased a half dozen cans of a similar product called "Krown rust inhibitor" but never did the application.  I am looking to by a 4runner rental turn in from one of the car rental companies.  It will be 2 or 3 yrs old and have approximately 50K miles on it.  I will reach out to Perry Jost...I found a 2022 thread on SOL in which you had provided information on the current location to reach him at.  I'll let you know how I make out.  Thanks again all!  Any additional thoughts would be appreciated!

He moved to Manasquan, to the east of the circle.  best to text him at 908-692-4619 and tell him the guy with the Dark Blue 2016 4Runner Trail edition set up as an Overlander recommended him.

When I bought my latest truck (2021 GMC Canyon AT4), I was going to drive it to Vermont to a place that dipped the whole undercarriage into a rust proofing solution. I found out that I would have to leave the truck for several days, so I didn't do it. It sounds like a good idea, wish somebody on LI did it.

3 hours ago, Cascade said:

When I bought my latest truck (2021 GMC Canyon AT4), I was going to drive it to Vermont to a place that dipped the whole undercarriage into a rust proofing solution. I found out that I would have to leave the truck for several days, so I didn't do it. It sounds like a good idea, wish somebody on LI did it.

As I recall, Charlie, who worked for Perry on the phones, but has since retired, told me that Perry uses the Zeibart Product.  Zeibart has a website shop finder - I randomly punched in the code for Far Rockaway and within 100 miles - there is one in Haskell, NJ and Quakertown, PA.  Also, you could try texting Perry, because I know that he often travels and does applications working from his truck, specifically on Limos, Ambulances and Buses.  Again, tell him I recommended this to you.

Gives you a start, at least. 

6 hours ago, z-man said:

You can do it yourself with two spray cans of Fluid Film or Blaster Shield from Home Depot and a 1/2 hour or so of your time spraying. 

I bought Fluid Film in a gallon jug and used a garden style pump sprayer. A friend has a lift and we just laid down a bunch of cardboard on his garage floor to catch the overspray. You just need to have a plan of attack in order not to be standing underneath previously sprayed sections. Since getting the new frame from Toyota, I've been doing the FF spray once/year each fall for about 4-5 years now.

56 mins ago, slicedcornbread said:

I bought Fluid Film in a gallon jug and used a garden style pump sprayer. A friend has a lift and we just laid down a bunch of cardboard on his garage floor to catch the overspray. You just need to have a plan of attack in order not to be standing underneath previously sprayed sections. Since getting the new frame from Toyota, I've been doing the FF spray once/year each fall for about 4-5 years now.

A lift would be nice. I just do I it laying on an old piece of carpet that I throw out afterwards. It’s messy but at least it’s pretty quick. 

2 hours ago, slicedcornbread said:

A lift would be a must for me if it was to be a DIY project. Whenever I have this done I tip the man with the nozzle $20 before starting the job. Works for me. 

NH Oil on my Tacoma, Chief and Rubicon. It was recommended by hunting partner and mechanic. 

I love 4Runners. I should have bought one instead of one of those Jeeps.