Red winged blackbird. A holdover or new arrival?

Rate this topic

bob_G

1st red wing blackbird in the yard this morning.Flocks of big robbins showed earlier this week.Grackles and starlings raiding the suet cakes.The blackbird with them.Bluebirds on the suet when it's snowing. A shed buck was on the game camera in the yard on monday at 5a.m.The low bush hollys have had the berries stripped clean too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have redwings in the marsh behind work.

They're not staying during the day like they will soon. Right now they show up around 4 pm and roost.

You get like 10 minutes to see them fly in, then they disappear into the cattails. You can still hear them chattering until dark.

I don't know where they go during the day but soon they'll be in the marsh all day.

On 2/9/2024 at 7:42 AM, bdowning said:

When I trout fish the cape in March, I see buffleheads on all the ponds. Are they year-round residents?

Are they bufflehead or hooded merganser?

I see the hooded mergansers almost whenever there's no ice. They like the small swampy freshwater ponds. They're the ones who took over what wood duck boxes are still out there.

I noticed many people call them bufflehead. 

Screenshot_20240212_084521_Facebook.jpg

12 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Are they bufflehead or hooded merganser?

I see the hooded mergansers almost whenever there's no ice. They like the small swampy freshwater ponds. They're the ones who took over what wood duck boxes are still out there.

I noticed many people call them bufflehead. 

Screenshot_20240212_084521_Facebook.jpg

Good question. My vision even with distance glasses isn't good enough to distinguish. So the next time I'm bringing the binocs. They look pretty similar and I know I've seen both in the past. 

Pfantum Pfishah