Jump to content

The Season- A Rundown 2024

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, LowEnd said:

Fish was right on the bank and not dragged through the sand. It rolled once before the quick pic and release. I don’t see the difference between the two, it’s still a fish out of the water.

 

No, don’t take a pic of every dink or larger fish for that matter.
Hadn’t noticed the stripes that Richzille pointed out because I get them back quick.

 

There are plenty of pics in report threads with far much worse fish handling, just look two post up.

 

 

 

 

Nice catch LowEnd! Ignore the haters. I'm glad you're catching them up bro! Feel free to share, any size is awesome in my book! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, LowEnd said:

Fish was right on the bank and not dragged through the sand. It rolled once before the quick pic and release. I don’t see the difference between the two, it’s still a fish out of the water.

 

No, don’t take a pic of every dink or larger fish for that matter.
Hadn’t noticed the stripes that Richzille pointed out because I get them back quick.

 

There are plenty of pics in report threads with far much worse fish handling, just look two post up.

 

What's up with the haters. I also recommend ignoring them. Nice catch! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My first catch of the season,

First day out, and on very first cast.

 

 

Catch of the day, 001.jpg

Catch of the day, 002.jpg

 Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

 

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regading fish pics, a gentleman's rule I'm behind is only post keeper length pictures of each respective species (don't need to measure...we're all versed enough to estimate what's close enough to keeper).

 

With my personal catches, if I'm unimpressed with what I pull up, then I'm sure the internet will be unimpressed as well..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apparently, there are a few half-decent bass being caught in the East River

 

Fish Puts Up a Fight - Queens and Bronx Counties 
On March 17, ECOs Milliron, Clinger, Rappold, Kortz, and Lieutenant Macropoulos conducted enforcement details focused on protecting striped bass during the closed season during nighttime high tide in Queens and Bronx counties. In Bronx County, Officers Kortz and Rappold conducted plainclothes surveillance at Ferry Point Park and observed an angler going back and forth to a wooded location in the park. The Officers contacted ECOs Milliron and Clinger who approached the subject. During the interview, Officers heard unusual sounds coming from the nearby woods. ECO Clinger entered the wooded area to investigate and observed a second subject holding down a striped bass with his hands and knees as the fish flopped about in the leaves. The Officers located seven striped bass in the wooded area and issued tickets to both anglers for taking striped bass out of season and failure to release without undue harm, returnable to Bronx County Criminal Court. Striped bass season opens on April 15 with a limit of one fish per day between 28 and 31 inches. 

ECOs standing in front of car with seven out of season striped bass
ECO Milliron (Left), ECO Clinger (Right) with seven out-of-season striped bass discovered in Bronx County

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, CWitek said:

Apparently, there are a few half-decent bass being caught in the East River

 

Fish Puts Up a Fight - Queens and Bronx Counties 
On March 17, ECOs Milliron, Clinger, Rappold, Kortz, and Lieutenant Macropoulos conducted enforcement details focused on protecting striped bass during the closed season during nighttime high tide in Queens and Bronx counties. In Bronx County, Officers Kortz and Rappold conducted plainclothes surveillance at Ferry Point Park and observed an angler going back and forth to a wooded location in the park. The Officers contacted ECOs Milliron and Clinger who approached the subject. During the interview, Officers heard unusual sounds coming from the nearby woods. ECO Clinger entered the wooded area to investigate and observed a second subject holding down a striped bass with his hands and knees as the fish flopped about in the leaves. The Officers located seven striped bass in the wooded area and issued tickets to both anglers for taking striped bass out of season and failure to release without undue harm, returnable to Bronx County Criminal Court. Striped bass season opens on April 15 with a limit of one fish per day between 28 and 31 inches. 

ECOs standing in front of car with seven out of season striped bass

ECO Milliron (Left), ECO Clinger (Right) with seven out-of-season striped bass discovered in Bronx County

Amazing, The only time I have ever seen DEC at Ferry Point Park was one time a couple of years ago when they were investigating a shipping trailer full of leaking epoxy that someone dumped on the shore under the Whitestone. Hopefully, this heralds more enforcement in the Bronx, where poaching is absolutely rampant. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Antek said:

Amazing, The only time I have ever seen DEC at Ferry Point Park was one time a couple of years ago when they were investigating a shipping trailer full of leaking epoxy that someone dumped on the shore under the Whitestone. Hopefully, this heralds more enforcement in the Bronx, where poaching is absolutely rampant. 

Apparently, the officers who spotted the poachers were working plainclothes, and only called in the uniforms to make the bust.

 

Could be that even when we don't see them, sometimes they're there.

 

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

Apparently, the officers who spotted the poachers were working plainclothes, and only called in the uniforms to make the bust.

 

Could be that even when we don't see them, sometimes they're there.

 

This was funny joke. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Antek said:

Amazing, The only time I have ever seen DEC at Ferry Point Park was one time a couple of years ago when they were investigating a shipping trailer full of leaking epoxy that someone dumped on the shore under the Whitestone. Hopefully, this heralds more enforcement in the Bronx, where poaching is absolutely rampant. 

 

18 hours ago, CWitek said:

Apparently, the officers who spotted the poachers were working plainclothes, and only called in the uniforms to make the bust.

 

Could be that even when we don't see them, sometimes they're there.

 

They are out early in the year in the BX, I ran into them last week in the Bronx... seems they have been pretty active this year so far (according to the DEC Officer I spoke with).

I Fish therefore I Lie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Yea there’s some new young blood they hired that seem to be really trying their best . I saw them last fall almost every night on quad going from the thumb to west end writing tickets and taking oversized fish .. I’m all for it .. wish there was about 30-50 more of them 

The new lieutenant there keeps his boat next to mine.  A very good young officer.  Used to work in Suffolk before he was promoted.  He's a very competent, very passionate recreational fisherman, and has a personal interest in protecting marine resources.  I suspect that he'll do everything possible to make a difference.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, the3fishheads said:

Screenshot_20240402-225954_Photos.jpg

Regulators are starting to take a very hard look on people who target--and particularly those who subsequently mishandle--prohibited shark species.

 

I suspect that we;re going to see a lot fewer hero shots of this sort on social media.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...