The Season- A Rundown 2024

Rate this topic

On 3/13/2024 at 2:59 PM, Antek said:

Went out for a bit earlier today. Hit two local spots that usually have early holdover action, but nothing doing yet.

I saw some of these baby jellyfish that pop up in the spring in the WLIS, which I usually take as an encouraging sign. I haven’t really seen it discussed before so far as I recall, but I believe in my local waters that stripers start waking up to feed on these baby jellies — just from a strong correlation in past springs between the baby jellies and holdover action. Don’t know if it’s just correlated because of water temps, but I’ve had holdovers get very aggressive when these jellies are bobbing around and there doesn’t seem to be anything else they’d be feeding on. 

Noticed the same thing past couple of years. Close to the full moon after the first small jelly fish is usually the first pop of bait and bass in the sound. Often comes with a bunch of like baseball or smaller jellyfish that'll stick around for a bit. 

Anybody know what happens to the parking situation at that preserve in Manhasset? It was permitted at night before they renovated the place, now I am seeing a prohibited after dark notice at their website.   :huh:

6 hours ago, WLIStless said:

Noticed the same thing past couple of years. Close to the full moon after the first small jelly fish is usually the first pop of bait and bass in the sound. Often comes with a bunch of like baseball or smaller jellyfish that'll stick around for a bit. 

Yup, exactly. What I’m not sure about is if they’re feeding on these little jellies or if their presence is just a proxy for other things like water temp (or both). 

18 hours ago, hobobob said:

Anybody know what happens to the parking situation at that preserve in Manhasset? It was permitted at night before they renovated the place, now I am seeing a prohibited after dark notice at their website.   :huh:

Either a surf guy got injured or a group of natty ice drinkers trashed the beach. Whenever we find good access that’s usually the story. 

7 mins ago, PhantomofTheSurf said:

Either a surf guy got injured or a group of natty ice drinkers trashed the beach. Whenever we find good access that’s usually the story. 

I don't that was the case, but it's Manhasset, we don't quite fit in. 

On 3/21/2024 at 4:11 PM, Deserteagle778 said:

Stripers are back in NY!

Back?

Some of them never left

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

Just got back home.  Our infrastructure is in the shitter.   Both the southern states and the belt have sections flood.   People don't know how to drive anymore, multiple, multi vehicle crashes, one ended in a ditch, one droved through the lake, disabled on side of the road,  probably totaled.   Still idiots weave in and out in near zero visibility.