The Season- A Rundown 2024

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, cheech said:

Couple small jigged bass on the yak in the WLIS yesterday. Plenty of huge pockets of lockjawed bottom fish ignoring almost everything . A gent near me got a 43” on a flutter spoon; something I removed from the box the night before :banghd:. I witnessed ZERO bunker or blues.

A lot of the bunker of the South Shore are well offshore.  We were off Fire Island yesterday.  Nothing inshore, but lots of pods in 120-130 feet.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Weekend wrap up. One dink on a bucktail.

Raised one blue fish twice but it missed the hooks.

Nothing going on locally for me other than parties and BBQ which were way better than the fishing.

Hope you all were safe, had a good time and caught some fish.

Back to the grind tomorrow.

Water finally looks kinda normal inshore. Took a quick trip this afternoon to a well known patch , gloom and doom reports . Tons of bunker , couple of keepers on 10” fluke belly strips. 

IMG_8509.jpeg

IMG_8510.jpeg

Edited by pakalolo

IN FAVOR OF COMMERCIAL FISHING AND SURFING THE NORTH SIDE

MAY THE RICH GET RICHER!!

FISH ARE FOOD!!

UA MAU KA EA O KA AINA IKA PONO O HAWAII

On 7/4/2024 at 10:06 AM, CWitek said:

A lot of the bunker of the South Shore are well offshore.  We were off Fire Island yesterday.  Nothing inshore, but lots of pods in 120-130 feet.

The inshore pods and everything under them are being rounded up off sandy hook by the kanooks.

Still some large migratory pelagics making it through but even the ospreys having a tough time finding a decent meal.

**** the U.N.

8 hours ago, the3fishheads said:

The inshore pods and everything under them are being rounded up off sandy hook by the kanooks.

Still some large migratory pelagics making it through but even the ospreys having a tough time finding a decent meal.

Inshare pods shouldn't be having a problem, since neither New York nor New Jersey permit purse seining in state waters (New York has an "emergency" exception to prevent big bunker kills in the bays but that doesn't impact the big factory boats).

The boats from Virginia need to stay at least 3 miles offshore in both states, although they do come right up against that line at times.  It's the offshore pods that are vulnerable.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

I feel like 3 miles ain’t that much .. a couple days of favorable wind and inshore pods go off shore and vise versa .. most summers we have miles of bunker passing just outside the bar on the beaches ..  haven’t seen one school yet .. and same like fishheads watching a dozen ospresys head out from beach and come back empty over and over .. 

7 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

I feel like 3 miles ain’t that much .. a couple days of favorable wind and inshore pods go off shore and vise versa .. most summers we have miles of bunker passing just outside the bar on the beaches ..  haven’t seen one school yet .. and same like fishheads watching a dozen ospresys head out from beach and come back empty over and over .. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the current coccolithophore bloom is dropping oxygen levels inshore and pushing the bunker farther out.  It's caused the water to turn a chalky green out to at least 140 feet, and extends from Manhattan to Montauk.  I did a sea bass trip yesterday, and marked very little life from Fire Island Inlet to the Wolcott to the Dodger and back to the Inlet,.  Even the piles of life over the wrecks were smaller than in previous years.  Also, bottom water temperatures are unusually low, which is pushing fish out, as well as freshwater incursijons from  the heavy spring rains.  A lot of different things going on

0/4 in the last week at various locations. Wandered into the pea soup fog last night, water seems to have cleared up a bit after struggling through sea lettuce over the weekend. Other than that, not a sign of life to be had on the ocean side. 

Charles your theory on the reduced oxygen levels relative to the algae bloom is very interesting and certainly a plausible cause for reduced baitfish inshore. From word of mouth, the boat guys are still having a lot of success with bass but the surf seems to have dried up. 

North Shore: Got word I missed bass on worm hatch outgoing tide early Sunday AM. Found two schoolies on the fly in my channel on the beginning of incoming. Backwater on flies and artificials have been a struggle this year. Trolling, jigging, live lining in sound another story. 

Switched to fluke on incoming N. Shore harbor, hordes of really small fluke like 9-12" but managed a 22" fish on my second drift. Pink Bucktail with teaser. White gulp and spearing on both. Took the Bucktail. The smaller fluke were so aggressive I thought they were early snappers down there. 

IMG_0300 copy.jpg

Went out a couple of times at night over the last few days locally in the Bronx. Insane rec boaters at night, no lights, jet skis in the dark etc are making these nighttime trips dangerous and I’m gonna have to start switching to early mornings at this point, I think. Cut one trip short the other night when I got blitzed by a pack of jet skis that zoomed me in the middle of the bay in the dark around midnight. They split me on both sides in a way that was hard to not take as intentional. I’m not an early morning guy by personal temperament, but the nighttime recklessness associated with the local shithole marina is getting worse every year.

Still, managed to get some good hours in otherwise. Water temps ranged up to 75, split pea with like a foot of visibility. Trolled across most of the bay with the TnW, minnow plugs. Casted and jigged around structure. Not a tap, total skunk every time. Some rainbait around in the shallows but otherwise little sign of life, with the FF marking little in terms of larger bait and zero bass. Typically I catch locally pretty well through July, but I think the fat lady done sang now. 

Charles noted the algae blooms being a likely issue down on the SS. Here in the far WLIS issues with dissolved oxygen I think are pretty serious once the warm months come in. Algae, runoff, and high water temps, with depth only going to like 20’ max locally in the bay. Not sure if there are pockets of bass still holding in some of the deeper water areas nearby, but the demboat/jet ski traffic has kept me from venturing to check. 

22 hours ago, espo@mtkpnt said:

Charles your theory on the reduced oxygen levels relative to the algae bloom is very interesting and certainly a plausible cause for reduced baitfish inshore. From word of mouth, the boat guys are still having a lot of success with bass but the surf seems to have dried up. 

They're definitely going to burn up some oxygen when they die and begin to decay.

I'm still trying to figure this bloom out.  I've seen a lot of green water over the 40 years that I've fished offshore out of Fire Island, but never saw this particular sort of bloom.  The chalky green water is something new to me.  I just want it gone.  It's just about dolphin season, but they're not going to come close in this stuff.

18 hours ago, Antek said:

Charles noted the algae blooms being a likely issue down on the SS. Here in the far WLIS issues with dissolved oxygen I think are pretty serious once the warm months come in. Algae, runoff, and high water temps, with depth only going to like 20’ max locally in the bay. Not sure if there are pockets of bass still holding in some of the deeper water areas nearby, but the demboat/jet ski traffic has kept me from venturing to check. 

I do a lot of bass fishing in the western Sound, although east of you--around the Connecticut/Westchester border.  My frined lives in Greenwich, and keeps a boat there.  For the past few weeks, he's doing very little with the bass--a few scattered rats--and nothing with bluefish.  He keeps telling me to stay home, and instead comes out here to fish offshore,.

20 hours ago, Antek said:

Went out a couple of times at night over the last few days locally in the Bronx. Insane rec boaters at night, no lights, jet skis in the dark etc are making these nighttime trips dangerous and I’m gonna have to start switching to early mornings at this point, I think. Cut one trip short the other night when I got blitzed by a pack of jet skis that zoomed me in the middle of the bay in the dark around midnight. They split me on both sides in a way that was hard to not take as intentional.

Something needs to be done about the phantom jet skiers. After sundown is illegal in its own right, their other offenses aside. Need some sort of sting operation as those things run faster than any Coast Guard vessel so catching them the typical way is out of the question. 

My son's licensed to operate 100,000 tons. He's recently been doing private captain work for a luxury boat out of the western LIS. On his last trip coming up the East River between the Whitestone and Throggs around 11:00 PM they descended upon him, cutting off from his bow the last minute and wake jumping very close to the stern. It's a fast super cruiser so he's moving well when this goes down. The client's private security was ready to unleash some fury as both them and guests on board were getting nervous and upset with the near bow turn outs. My son as he learned in school called the CG as these antics kept getting repeated over and over. CG came within a reasonable time but once they ascended on the fleet they shot off in different directions like mosquitos. How about an undercover agent or two, NYC Maritime PD,  join them on jet skis during these thrill seeking hours?  Would be easy to blend in, figure out where they're launching from or moored, call in to land based PD and bust them once and for all. Somebody's going to get killed, shot or both. It sucks you have to deal with that stuff too. 

Edited by brushfly