The Season- A Rundown 2024

Rate this topic

Dusted off the light bucktails and soft plastics yesterday and went out for the first time in a long time. Nothing doing, but was nice to get out, shake off the rust, and practice my bucktail retrieve.

Thankfully, the Stewards of the Wild left some offerings to the bucket gods to ensure a productive season to come:

IMG_6638.jpeg.f7cd2f0ffcfcf634e8b6d7e390f4138a.jpeg

Id rather find that stuff than the chicken bone/ Santeria alters I’ve seen in da Bronx.

Ocean fish with lice scars are showing up north of NYC, water

is 42

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

On 3/6/2024 at 11:26 AM, valentine said:

It’s really a shame to see how uncaring some people can be.

I routinely clean up trash that’s left by others.

I’m not happy doing it but I look at it as part of the price I pay for all the enjoyment I get from fishing.

Some people really are selfish idiots.

Yeah, and this was just a small part of it as it was nice out on Sunday and the local Brigadiers were already out in force leaving piles of trash. There are literal heaps of it, trash middens, as NYC Parks does no cleanup in the area and there is a lot of fishing activity. 

Someone also dumped a bunch of blue paint in the water, so the shore was covered in gobs of blue paint. I guess better than the time I came across a shipping container leaking what looked like epoxy that someone hauled and dumped into the water. It’s the Bronx though. It’s like geologic layers of trash and waste. I fish in a spot where the bottom is littered with airplane parts and piles of illegally dumped construction debris.

On 3/5/2024 at 12:26 PM, cheech said:

Id rather find that stuff than the chicken bone/ Santeria alters I’ve seen in da Bronx.

Ocean fish with lice scars are showing up north of NYC, water

is 42

Oh, I find that too of course. Though more commonly the offerings are oranges and melons, given that it’s the water.

North of NYC as in Westchester, or CT?

Edited by Antek

Westchester, where the empty bloodworm boxes cost someone $25 to feed the Catfish, W Perch, and Carp.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

On 3/5/2024 at 12:08 PM, Antek said:

Dusted off the light bucktails and soft plastics yesterday and went out for the first time in a long time. Nothing doing, but was nice to get out, shake off the rust, and practice my bucktail retrieve.

Thankfully, the Stewards of the Wild left some offerings to the bucket gods to ensure a productive season to come:

IMG_6638.jpeg.f7cd2f0ffcfcf634e8b6d7e390f4138a.jpeg

Scumbags 

On 3/6/2024 at 11:26 AM, valentine said:

It’s really a shame to see how uncaring some people can be.

I routinely clean up trash that’s left by others.

I’m not happy doing it but I look at it as part of the price I pay for all the enjoyment I get from fishing.

Some people really are selfish idiots.

Keep it up. My mom routinely walks the beach picking up trash and she often finds cash amongst it, especially in the summer

4 hours ago, espo@mtkpnt said:

Keep it up. My mom routinely walks the beach picking up trash and she often finds cash amongst it, especially in the summer

Yeah,I suppose that  I’ll keep doing it until  the end.

It’s just the way I’m wired.

Good for your Mom that she finds cash.

No cash for me but an occasional  “still good” fishing lure  does help to keep things interesting.

6 hours ago, cheech said:

Westchester, where the empty bloodworm boxes cost someone $25 to feed the Catfish, W Perch, and Carp.

The boxes should be fine as it can degrade naturally, but the plastic bag and plastic lure packaging is another story. 

Took my Blackfish Special with new parts to make some cast in this warmer weather. No fish but it was fun bumping into good people who recently got into fishing. 

I often pick up the trash left by others too. Once in a while, I find cash, sinkers, new hooks, and a new spool of mono or braid, and "still good" fishing lures. 

Making the world safe for bait, one bluefish at a time!

Gave it a try yesterday and today in the afternoon.

Yesterday hooked a monster that I could not stop. Took me into something that hung my line up and it would not move. Bent the rod, good bye bass and plug.  
That’s what you get when you fish under gunned but I was hoping for a 20” fish.

Went back today with the heavier gear for not a touch. Cold, windy and miserable just the way I like it. Skunked both trips.

Soon!