Delmarva Fishin' Reports - Winter 2024

Rate this topic

They’re very easy. Get a steam pot going and then toss them in for 5 - 7 minutes for smalls to mediums. Give the largest ones 10 minutes or so. When they’re done the operculum will fall off or being half off. At that point, pull them out and toss them into a bucket of ice water. Once they cool off, stick a prong or fork into them and you can pull them right out. 

To gut them, pull the back end off (the part deepest into the shell). Next, make a shallow incision where the siphon is and then slid your thumb through the incision to pop the siphon off and some tiny vessels connected to it. It’s pretty much clean after that aside from rinsing it under running water to scrub any remaining sand and grit off. Purging them before steaming also helps get rid of a slot of sand and grit. Give them a good drying before storing or freezing. 

They’re ready to eat at this point. For the largest ones I like to take a shave off a little bit of the outer skin by the foot to reduce chewiness. I haven’t found this necessary for smalls and mediums. 

You can use them for just about anything. In my house they go into soups, chowders, I add them to Italian dishes, Asian dishes, poke bowls, pickle them, or just enjoy as is with oil,  lemon, vinegar, and seasoning. Slice them thin or chunk them depending on your application. Very small ones we eat whole. 

On 1/30/2024 at 6:50 PM, castnet said:

They’re very easy. Get a steam pot going and then toss them in for 5 - 7 minutes for smalls to mediums. Give the largest ones 10 minutes or so. When they’re done the operculum will fall off or being half off. At that point, pull them out and toss them into a bucket of ice water. Once they cool off, stick a prong or fork into them and you can pull them right out. 

To gut them, pull the back end off (the part deepest into the shell). Next, make a shallow incision where the siphon is and then slid your thumb through the incision to pop the siphon off and some tiny vessels connected to it. It’s pretty much clean after that aside from rinsing it under running water to scrub any remaining sand and grit off. Purging them before steaming also helps get rid of a slot of sand and grit. Give them a good drying before storing or freezing. 

They’re ready to eat at this point. For the largest ones I like to take a shave off a little bit of the outer skin by the foot to reduce chewiness. I haven’t found this necessary for smalls and mediums. 

You can use them for just about anything. In my house they go into soups, chowders, I add them to Italian dishes, Asian dishes, poke bowls, pickle them, or just enjoy as is with oil,  lemon, vinegar, and seasoning. Slice them thin or chunk them depending on your application. Very small ones we eat whole. 

Very cool.  Do you just collet them on the beach? 

"all of jase's posts are valid." -Otter

On 1/29/2024 at 3:34 AM, dena said:

Not fishing, so much, as shelling.

I drove down the beach, and easily picked up a 5 gallon bucket of Whelk shells in a couple of kilometers. Those type of shells are usually not found on the beach. Several shells still had the snail in them, and got tossed into the surf.

20240121_171622.jpg

Brooklyn Scungilli

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd

On 1/29/2024 at 7:54 PM, castnet said:

So you kept the ones you can’t eat and tossed back the ones you can?!

No empty shells in this bag. And I found out that suckers will actually pay money for the leftover shells I needed to get rid of anyway. 
IMG_3082.jpeg.79db356d39772506a197e9c6098b6d01.jpeg

Illegal in Delaware.  No recreational harvesting.   

4 hours ago, DerrickT said:

Sad week in Delaware, former owner of henelopen bait and tackle Denise Willis passed and I learned this morning Gene Reynolds passed as well.

RIP, Dennis.

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

Gene Reynolds, as in the rack?

Didn't know him, but it is sad a fine craftsman has passed.

RIP

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

I wonder how well salted Welk would work for Tog or Sheepies. I bet they'd be really good for Spadefish bait.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."
Jacques Cousteau

OSV closed Sunday morning.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

• 3 weeks later...