FISH REPORT 2024 Cape Cod Bay to the Back Side of P town, "sand eel city"

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, stripahslayah said:

Arguably more frustrating…

I have been catching bass In CCB, not big stuff, but lots of tight lines, my go to set up is 15 lb braid and a 20lb florocarbon leader, my pole is a 7ft Large mouth bass rod:)

7 hours ago, codfish said:

I have been catching bass In CCB, not big stuff, but lots of tight lines, my go to set up is 15 lb braid and a 20lb florocarbon leader, my pole is a 7ft Large mouth bass rod:)

Appreciate the advice! I think my issue is that we run a 28’ diesel inboard that drafts 4+ feet so that somewhat limits what we can do… I imagine things might be better in boulder fields or flats or the like than deeper offshore structure/bait

I lost some kind of monster last Friday in Buzzards Bay. Fishing a bucktail off a jetty on a lighter setup, didn't expect to catch anything, and hooked into something big. Took a lot of line of a BG4000 and I was having a very hard time getting any line back even pumping the rod. Unfortunately I got cut-off by a passing boat so never got to see what it was, but felt like I was reeling in a cinder block. Must have been a big striper, can't imagine anything else hitting a bucktail, just never got it close to the surface to see it. That's my fish story about the one that got away. 

On 7/8/2024 at 9:50 PM, johnysmoke said:

I lost some kind of monster last Friday in Buzzards Bay. Fishing a bucktail off a jetty on a lighter setup, didn't expect to catch anything, and hooked into something big. Took a lot of line of a BG4000 and I was having a very hard time getting any line back even pumping the rod. Unfortunately I got cut-off by a passing boat so never got to see what it was, but felt like I was reeling in a cinder block. Must have been a big striper, can't imagine anything else hitting a bucktail, just never got it close to the surface to see it. That's my fish story about the one that got away. 

Could have been a big Blue. Caught a 13lb Gator a few weeks ago that gave me a run for my money.  

On 7/8/2024 at 9:50 PM, johnysmoke said:

Dogfish..... 

8 hours ago, foxfai said:

Dogfish..... 

IMG-6748-2.jpg

Seal? Same thing happened to me last month. Thought I had fish of a lifetime for a good while.. at least I got my fly back.

CCB small craft advisory

Tonight
SSW wind around 13 kt, with gusts as high as 25 kt. Increasing clouds. Seas 2 to 3 ft.
Thursday
SSW wind 14 to 17 kt, with gusts as high as 27 kt. A chance of showers, mainly after 5pm. Seas 3 to 4 ft.
Thursday Night
SSW wind 10 to 13 kt, with gusts as high as 21 kt. A slight chance of showers. Seas 2 ft building to 4 ft.
Friday
SSW wind 9 to 13 kt, with gusts as high as 21 kt. A slight chance of showers before 9am, then a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms between 9am and 11am. Seas 2 to 3 ft.
Friday Night
SSW wind 8 to 10 kt. A chance of showers, mainly after 2am. Seas 2 to 3 ft.
Saturday
SSW wind 6 to 9 kt. A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Seas around 2 ft.
Saturday Night
Variable winds 5 kt or less. Partly cloudy. Seas around 2 ft.
Sunday
Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming S 5 to 7 kt in the morning. Sunny. Seas around 1 ft.