Widening War?

Rate this topic

flyangler

Is this a one-off or a sign of escalation? Will US and Coalition forces take pre-emotive action next? Will Iran get involved, one way or another? 

While we all were preparing for NYE and NYD, the US military decoded enough was enoug.

And this was an over the horizon missile strike, choppers being used to fend off boarders made it up close work.

This is not "Another War", same war, different angle….

US sinks 3 ships, kills 10 after Houthi Red Sea attack - Reuters

COPENHAGEN/DUBAI/CAIRO, Dec 31 (Reuters) - U.S. helicopters repelled an attack by Iran-backed Houthi militants on a Maersk (MAERSKb.CO) container vessel in the Red Sea, sinking three ships and killing 10 militants, according to accounts by American, Maersk, and Houthi officials on Sunday.

The naval battle occurred around 0330 GMT on Sunday as the attackers sought to board the Singapore-flagged Maersk Hangzhou, Maersk and U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) said. Helicopters from the USS Eisenhower and USS Gravely joined the ship's security team in repelling the attackers after receiving a distress call, CENTCOM said.

Maersk said it was pausing all sailing through the Red Sea for 48 hours after the attack.

A spokesman for the Houthis said the group carried out the attack because the ship's crew refused to heed warning calls. He said 10 Houthi naval personnel were "dead and missing" after their boats were attacked by U.S. forces in the Red Sea.

The naval battle underlines the risk of a regional escalation in fighting as Israel continues with its relentless bombing campaign following a Hamas surprise cross-border attack on Israeli towns on Oct. 7 that left 1,200 dead, and took 240 hostages. Israel's air and artillery bombardment has killed more than 21,800 people, according to Gazan health authorities.

The botched Houthi boarding operation was the second attack on the Maersk Hangzhou in as many days. The ship, which is carrying 14,000 containers en route from Singapore, was on Saturday hit by a missile about 55 nautical miles southwest of Al Hodeidah, Yemen.

The shipping company added that the crew of the Maersk Hangzhou crew was safe and there was no indication of fire onboard the vessel, which continued its journey north toward the Suez Canal.

White House national security spokesperson John Kirby declined to say what options the U.S. is considering when asked on ABC's "Good Morning America" if Washington would consider a preemptive strike on the Houthis.

"We have made it clear publicly to the Houthis, we've made it clear privately to our allies and partners in the region, that we take these threats seriously."

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

WSJ:

On Saturday evening, the Maersk Hangzhou, a Singapore-flagged container vessel that operates between Europe and Asia, came under missile attack, the U.S. said. Four boats later approached the vessel, shot at it and attempted to board it, according to Danish shipping giant 

Moller-Maersk, which operates the containership.

Early Sunday, helicopters from nearby U.S. Navy vessels responded to fire coming from boats controlled by Houthis, an Iranian-backed rebel group in Yemen, sinking three of them and killing the crews, the U.S. said. The fourth boat fled. The Houthis later claimed the attack and said they lost 10 fighters in the encounter.

There have been more than 20 attacks by the Houthis on commercial vessels since they started striking at commercial ships in November. A U.S. defense official said the sinking of the boats “is the first time we have seen this kind of close combat between the U.S. and the Houthis.”

White House spokesman John Kirby told ABC that the U.S. is “not looking to widen the conflict in the region.” 

“We certainly do not seek conflict with the Houthis,” Kirby said.

But Andrew Tabler, a former Middle East director at the White House’s National Security Council, said the sinking of the ships was “rungs on the regional escalation ladder.”

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Do you think that maybe it is a thought On the bad guy’s miniature cortex that the containers on these ships were loaded with war toys?

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Ce n'est pas le mur derrière lequel il se passe quelque chose, mais bien la cuisinière dans laquelle on a brûlé quelque chose

It is interesting for sure. Don’t forget the economy side of things. Major shipping route being stopped or slowed will definitely affect services and prices of goods for all. I’m glad the US and others are taking action. I personally don’t think Iran will get more involved but that is just my opinion.

Edited by jimmy1956
Added

5 hours ago, jimmy1956 said:

I personally don’t think Iran will get more involved but that is just my opinion.

Iran has placed a naval ship in the Red Sea

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

Just now, jimmy1956 said:

Did not know that. I’ll check it out.

Not sure it means anything at this point 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

I bet you are. Not a peaceful place and a ton tension and stress I imagine.

2 mins ago, Kings over Queens said:

I'm happy my son is out of that area and back on a domestic ship, that's for sure.

"months to come" - how does that not lead to a widening?

Israel kills Hamas commander who helped lead Oct. 7 attacks

Israeli troops killed a Hamas commander who helped lead the Oct. 7 terror attack that killed some 1,200 people and saw about 240 others taken hostage.

Adil Mismah, the Nukhba Company Commander of the city of Deir al-Balah, was “eliminated,” Israeli Defense Forces wrote on X Monday.

Mismah had led terrorists into the Kibbutz Kissufim and ordered other gunmen to ravage the communities of Nirim and Be’eri, according to The Jerusalem Post.

The commander was slain in an airstrike directed by Israeli ground troops, officials said.

The IDF said troops also “struck Hamas and Islamic Jihad terror targets” in Shejaiya and located a large cache of weapons as well as destroying a launch post and “eliminating” a terror cell that had attacked Israeli troops.

A Khan Yunis rocket launcher was also taken down by the IDF, as the Israeli Navy took aim at Gaza targets, officials said Monday morning.

Israel has said its war in the disputed territory will last for months to come, resisting international calls for a prolonged cease-fire.

- Victor Davis Hanson 

There was a time when the West used to hang pirates with impunity and merchant vessels were free to travel as they saw fit. But that was a time of muskets and cannons, not drones and cruise missiles. 

CNN: Shipping firms split on return to Red Sea as Houthi attacks continue.

Hapag-Lloyd and Evergreen Line, the container shipping arm of Evergreen Group, told CNN Wednesday that they would continue to reroute vessels via the Cape of Good Hope at Africa’s southern tip. MSC said the same Tuesday.

“At the moment we still consider the situation too dangerous to pass,” a spokesperson for Germany’s Hapag-Lloyd said in a statement. “We continuously assess the situation and plan a next review on Friday.”

In an update posted to its website at 5 a.m ET on Friday, Hapag-Lloyd said it continued to divert its ships to avoid the Red Sea and Suez Canal.

Evergreen Line referred CNN to a December 18 statement in which the company said it had instructed its container ships to suspend navigation through the Red Sea “until further notice.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Everything is risk management. So all that stuff on the ships skipping the shortcut will cost more. I’m guessing most of it was going to Europe. 

I love when we make way past the breakwater at first light and head out, there's nothing better, the whole rest of the world just melts away for me.

(*edited - member formerly known as 'windknot')