2024 ALL THINGS FLY FISHING - (BFD annual)

Rate this topic

HillTop

Out front in the ocean today 6 am dead low tide. 
13 ft two hand fly rod

BFD Betsy fly. Tied by me. 
Yes, they do work.
27” striped bass measured to the fork

Tagged. 
Thanks BFD for the fly pattern. 

Thanks, Mike O for getting me started in two hand OHC out front. 

Having a blast. 

Tom 

7 mins ago, Suave said:

@Mallard1100 Great! Fly fishing for brookies from a canoe is something else. Did a lot of that on many Laurentian lakes... a long time ago so your pictures bring back a lot of good memories  Just curious: do you fish a cast of more than one fly? On a sinking line as I think I see? And mostly trolling? Thanks.

Hi Suave, that’s correct. I was trolling with a sinking line and a two fly rig. Point fly was a wooly bugger type pattern which they really seemed to like! It was a great day for what was only a few hours on the water. 

18 hours ago, Mallard1100 said:

Hi Suave, that’s correct. I was trolling with a sinking line and a two fly rig. Point fly was a wooly bugger type pattern which they really seemed to like! It was a great day for what was only a few hours on the water. 

Nice work! What rod holder is that? I like that it is removable!

19 hours ago, Mallard1100 said:

Trolling a single fly, a streamer, on a sinking line was my favorite way to locate brookies in a lake. And when I did locate such a spot, I  systematically covered that area by casting a two-fly cast on a floating line using a streamer on point and a nymph or regular wet fly on the dropper. My favorite streamer? Well, not a Woolly Bugger although it is a super fly that I used extensively for smallmouth  bass but rather a few streamers originated up here. If you're interested, have a look at the "Québec Brookie Flies" thread that is still current on the Fly  Tying  Forum.  

2 hours ago, Suave said:

Trolling a single fly, a streamer, on a sinking line was my favorite way to locate brookies in a lake. And when I did locate such a spot, I  systematically covered that area by casting a two-fly cast on a floating line using a streamer on point and a nymph or regular wet fly on the dropper. My favorite streamer? Well, not a Woolly Bugger although it is a super fly that I used extensively for smallmouth  bass but rather a few streamers originated up here. If you're interested, have a look at the "Québec Brookie Flies" thread that is still current on the Fly  Tying  Forum.  

Thanks I will check that out! 

Yard, the rod holder is made by RAM. It is the tough claw small ball mount and fly rod single socket RAM rod holder. 

Hooked 5, landed 3, missed about a dozen. Super fun day out east, got my first on the fly and my gf got her first stripers ever. Can’t recommend Paul Dixon enough, he put us on the fish and coached two newbies with tons of patience. We both need to work on spot casting and hauling but damn this is a fun way to fish!

IMG_5660.jpeg

Edited by espo@mtkpnt

Runoff is starting to taper off, but it was 98 degrees here so ran up 45 min to Frenchman Lake in the Eastern Sierras, temps in the low 80’s, and had a fine time breaking in the float tube. 8 rainbows in the 15-17” range and one that was 19/20”. Half on chironomids slow retrieved on a floating line, half on wooly buggers on a full sink. 

IMG_8430.jpeg.10f49cb6cd7c70cef332ded3e5c9d563.jpegIMG_8433.jpeg.5c47b48c5286d2105bfca3d5df5a0cbd.jpeg

Just now, Nomad said:

@espo@mtkpnt Nice fish and Let's go Rangers (maybe next year)

Should change the name to the NY Maybe Next Years :rolleyes:

I've caught a fair share of stripers in my day, this is definitely the most engaging method. If anyone has a good resource for improving double hauls (besides just practice) please send them my way.