Pig Butchering

Rate this topic

Dewy

I’ve been hankering to add a pig to the freezer(s) to balance things out a bit. We had been raising Idaho Pasture Pigs but I sold my breeding trio as I was traveling a bit for work. Anyways found a guy just on the other side of the Va/NC border who had some he was looking to offload. $300 for a 250# pig, ya I’ll do that.

Made the two hr trip this am, I picked one out, and he put it down with a 410 behind the ear. Which was followed up by slice to the neck to bleed the pig out.  Got it loaded in the truck and I was headed back home in less than a half hour.

Got home and strung him up off the tractor to skin out. Not my best job but pigs are a lot tougher to skin than deer are. After skinning he was gutted out with the entrails dropped off with the chickens to feed on. Last step for the day was to split the body into two halves and let chill over night. Tomorrow we beak down in quarters and primals.IMG_6593.jpeg.12bad8f9c061272a6c3cc8f0c06838cc.jpegIMG_6594.jpeg.f8ae4ee560df5022fb97e85c2aada4f8.jpegIMG_6596.jpeg.e13e4187a705c014841d0fc8c1064ef0.jpegIMG_6597.jpeg.767bbc7556c38b2b345f8d5e67c6ab17.jpeg

Did this with my dad and uncle as a kid many times. Before hanging we would put the pig in a trough with sand and ropes under it and pull back and forth from each side and take the hair off. Old world style. Nothing wasted on those animals. A smoke house in my yard fed with cherry wood made for some of the tastiest pig around. Still miss all that “speck” :drool:

I'll ignore your cheap aroma,

and your little-bo-peep diploma,

I'll just put you in a coma,

with some dirty love-

Got an early start as the outside temp seemed to be higher than weatherman said it would be. Set up two table and went to town breaking down the side.IMG_6599.jpeg.c4e15b06aeb0e2c587535e815c7d12bd.jpeg

Once I got the side cut I worked on breaking each piece down further into chops, ribs, roasts , picnics, butts etc..

IMG_6600.jpeg.beab7c304b224409b9d0804b87e39f2d.jpeg
since these pigs are raised on pasture the meat is a darker red color, unlike the “other white meat” you buy in stores.

IMG_6601.jpeg.5ccbc89213c7054d70ef4d7ef5969a49.jpeg

I didn’t take any more pics as I was trying to beat the heat and keep my phone from being a greasy mess. All the butts and picnics turned out great. I deboned the rear hams and will use them for bbq too. 
I am very happy with the pig and the amount of meat and, fat (lard), that I  ended up with. Off a approx 250lb hog I ended up with 130-140 lbs of useable product. Pigs only have a yield of 50-60%. We had pork chops for dinner tonight and flavor was substantial in the chops with a mildly sweet flavor followed by subtle flavor that compliments the sweeter taste. The fat on the edge of the chops was out of this world too. Speaking of fat the crock pot is busy rendering the first pot full of lard. I’ll do the second pot tomorrow once I get more jars.

IMG_6602.jpeg

beter and easier than skining.

you bring 20 galons water to boil,pour in bucket and use cup to pour water over skin,then you take scraper with one end sharp,it look like holow horn and scrape the hair.everything is nice and clean,you do that with whole pig.

they ad somting in water it soften the hair i do not know how is that caled.

you do not have to worie about the temperature much if the pig is bled out and guted.it could hang in 70 degres for few days ,nothing wil hapen to the meat.

if you making fat,cut up every fat  in 1" cubes ,what you are not going to use and put on stove and simer down.you will have cruclings and fat.

you can store cruclings in fat in big pot,it will keep few years in dark room with out refrigeration.

if you like to make baiken and smoked meat,

you put that meat in stainles pot or tray,salt,garlick ,black peper and turn the meat every 2 days,after 21 days the meat is redy for cold smoke from 6 hours to 3 days.

after 21 days you wash the meat in lake warm water dry and put in smoker.

after smoking  is redy to eat with out cooking ,it is redy cured.i am doing that with pork but's.

3 lb meat =1 oz caning salt.

from head and organs you make head cheese,(huspenina)

Edited by snag777

On 12/30/2023 at 5:39 PM, phishallways said:

Did this with my dad and uncle as a kid many times. Before hanging we would put the pig in a trough with sand and ropes under it and pull back and forth from each side and take the hair off. Old world style. Nothing wasted on those animals. A smoke house in my yard fed with cherry wood made for some of the tastiest pig around. Still miss all that “speck” :drool:

That had to be a work out pulling a pig back and forth like that!

On 12/30/2023 at 5:24 PM, Dewy said:

I’ve been hankering to add a pig to the freezer(s) to balance things out a bit. We had been raising Idaho Pasture Pigs but I sold my breeding trio as I was traveling a bit for work. Anyways found a guy just on the other side of the Va/NC border who had some he was looking to offload. $300 for a 250# pig, ya I’ll do that.

Made the two hr trip this am, I picked one out, and he put it down with a 410 behind the ear. Which was followed up by slice to the neck to bleed the pig out.  Got it loaded in the truck and I was headed back home in less than a half hour.

Got home and strung him up off the tractor to skin out. Not my best job but pigs are a lot tougher to skin than deer are. After skinning he was gutted out with the entrails dropped off with the chickens to feed on. Last step for the day was to split the body into two halves and let chill over night. Tomorrow we beak down in quarters and primals.IMG_6593.jpeg.12bad8f9c061272a6c3cc8f0c06838cc.jpegIMG_6594.jpeg.f8ae4ee560df5022fb97e85c2aada4f8.jpegIMG_6596.jpeg.e13e4187a705c014841d0fc8c1064ef0.jpegIMG_6597.jpeg.767bbc7556c38b2b345f8d5e67c6ab17.jpeg

Our nephew would kill the pigs with a .38 ?bolt gun, we then paid $60 to have a slaughter house do the gutting ,skinning and 4 day hanging. We would get them back and commence to cutting.  That shyte pictured looks too much like icky work:laugh: for me!

7 mins ago, richie c said:

Our nephew would kill the pigs with a .38 ?bolt gun, we then paid $60 to have a slaughter house do the gutting ,skinning and 4 day hanging. We would get them back and commence to cutting.  That shyte pictured looks too much like icky work:laugh: for me!

it is very simple if you have plan and know what you doing.i knew guy he was able to kill 3 pigs a day and proces them all in 3 defrent spots.he used only knife,hot water,stun gun and try stand to lift the pig for procesing.

try stand is 3 poles 15' long,top 1 bolt go true  and 2 legs had hook for pig legs.

you put the pigs leg on hook's,and push the third pole closer,it raise the pig to hight what you need.

• 1 month later...

We did one or two pigs but it was alot of work.. I live close to a slaughterhouse. If i want a pig i can go to cashier and pay my donation then watch them cart the pig in and slaughter it and dress it...plastic bag in the cooler and its time to cook.  

This was a 65 pounder from our last roast, got it splayed from a butcher.    wife is a saint for letting.me do that in her kitchen.

20220805_113322.jpg

Edited by Baccigalup
I'll BE PULLING ON MY ROD - TILL THEY LAY ME IN SOD!!!!!

1 hour ago, Baccigalup said:

We did one or two pigs but it was alot of work.. I live close to a slaughterhouse. If i want a pig i can go to cashier and pay my donation then watch them cart the pig in and slaughter it and dress it...plastic bag in the cooler and its time to cook.  

This was a 65 pounder from our last roast, got it splayed from a butcher.    wife is a saint for letting.me do that in her kitchen.

20220805_113322.jpg

My wife would never go for that in the house.   Last year when I did a deer it in the garage.   I wanted to bring it in the house after quartering and she would have no part of it in her kitchen.