Dumbest move you ever did while fishing?

Rate this topic

plugchucker

I'm bored already.Changed hooks,cleaned reels etc...So let's hear em.I've done some dumb stuff.First,I was on a party boat a few years back in late Nov. jigging bass.we had a good pick going.Nothing huge,then something burries my 7oz Croc. spoon.I lean back and try to cross it's eyes.It's just doing what it wants,taking line off the ABU 7000 at will.Walked me across the stern a few times.I got tired of this and decided to shorten the fight and end the battle quickly.So being the rocket scientist that Iam,I take a turn and a half on the drag.It shortend the fight alright cause all I heard was the line snapping like a rifle.Dropped my largest bass ever due to a brainfart. ACT 2 My buddy and I are drifting the sods in south Jersey at night.We wear waders,so if we find a good bunch of fish,we beach in the sods,get out and work em from the sods really good.We decide to beach and work some fish.I'm in the bow.We pull up along the sods.I swing a leg out onto the bank.While I go to swing the other leg over the boat slides away from the bank.This leaves me doing a really really big slpit between the boat and the bank.The boat slides away,I go plop and am now holding the side of the boat with water an inch from the top of my waders.Buddy had to slide the boat back so I could crawl back up the mud slope onto the sods.I love being wet and cold in late November.And finally, ACT 3. Early season trout fishing.I'm slowly crawling over rocks to get to a run I wanna fish.I get the great idea to jump from rock to rock.I never figured the rocks would have a thin layer off ice.I landed,slid and then did a perfect nose dive into the river.That's the day I learned to carry a complete set of dry clothes.I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now.Let's hear some more.

I have two.

When I was probably 5 or 6, my mom had my great uncle and his friend take me out fishing in saltwater. So I get my gear ready. I have a 6'6" penn rod, a penn Z series reel. I think it was 722Z and 8lb test. To that, I tied a rusted freshwater worming hook and 4 1/4 oz bell sinker. I show up and he says, "What the hell is this?"

The second one, my brother and I are fishing a private stream. My line got snagged up and I go to get close to the bank. I slid on the sod and I thought I would fall into 3 inches of water. Nope, 3 feet of freezing spring water.

you ever see someone walk in the emergency room with a jitterbug hooked in his face cwm27.gif

while fishin with my causin and his father in a row boat my causin whips back a cast and whamo hits my uncle in the face with his jitterbug. off to the hospital we go.

Forgot this one,actually kinda scary.While pulling up to North Beach parking lot I see 2 hotties walking across the road to head out to Gunnison to work on all over tans. icon14.gif So..I hang the turn into that lot and stroll on down to look for hotties..uh I mean fish.I get half way there and almost go blind.There are LOTS of people that don't need to be naked in public. cwm31.gif Needless to say,I didn't get to scope out the hotties crying.gif and will never go back redface.gif

fishing on the glades in scituate, which for anyone who doesn't know is basically solid rock cliffs that are 10-15 feet off of the water. well my brother caught a fish and i took a step land it, and of course i was in sandals, and i slipped and spun around and my face smashed the rock and i blacked out and slid into the water. luckily i came to my senses after a second or two and my brother helped me out of the water. after 12 hours in the emergency room i walked out with 4 stitches, a broken nose and a concussion. i was out fishing on the glades the next day.

Thanksgiving weekend my son 14 wanted to go out on the bar but he thought the trough { about 10' across} was too deep and would go over his waders.

So I walked over and proceed to show him that it wasn't that deep. I get 1/2 way across arm's up in the air with the rod in hand and you know it, with the next step I can't touch the bottom anymore eek.gif . So I swing around and come back out as the water it working it's way down my waders past my knees as he is laughing his ass off telling me I told ya.

Moral of the story is listen to the kid and remove cell phone from shirt pocket before doing that again...

A couple of years ago I went to Long Beach one night at the beginning of the fall to fish one of the jetties. They were doing some repairs on the boardwalk and had a section of it blocked off. I needed to go through this area to get to my spot, so I hopped over the little barricade and walked through. I was looking out at the surf to check the conditions and didn't notice that some of the planks in the boardwalk were missing. Suddenly I stepped into nothing. To make a long story short, I never got to fish that night, or the rest of the fall season either. I was lucky to get only a broken ankle. It could have been a lot worse.

Out on a jetty one night this summer on the vineyard I was unhooking a small blue from a mag darter. Damn thing wiggled, and one of the hooks on the front treble slid nicely into my right pinky finger. I knew what i had to do and had pliers that could cut the barb, but couldnt push it through cuz it was hitting bone.

What i thought would be a quick trip to the emergency room turned into a 3 hour stay in the waiting room and screwed my fishing for the night.

Then as i was leaving i realized in my haste that i forgot to get the lure back! I went back and the doctor threw it away so i had to dig through the trash to find it hehe. Its still the best fish catcher in my bag.

A couple of years ago I was fishing on the inlet jetty in Avon one night. I cast a Rebel with a teaser into the far end of the inlet side at low slack and right away hook up to something really big on my first cast. I had a smile from ear to ear as I fought the fish thinking this one's mine! I was to lazy to climb down to get it and tried to lift the fish and broke a #30 coast lock swivel. I was heartbroken.

Was working as a tech with Idaho Fish and Game - needed to assist on creel survey to give the other tech a break. Besides seeing what the anglers were catching I was to check the anglers' license and to make sure that they were following the regulations - on this particular river there were fly only zones and a barbless hook requirement.

Between surveys I would fish - and the best part was my boss encouraged me to do so. So there I was in full uniform top and hat - with the state truck parked not to far away. Tied on a old size 14 adams and was just about to cast it - when I had a brain cramp - I was holding the leader loosey when I started the backcast. Didn't drop the leader in time - probably because the realization hit me that I was in barbless area with a barbed fly on the leader. Ended up sinking the fly to the bend in my right ring finger.

Didn't think it would be a big deal tried to push it out, but it was old fly and unfortunately it was a bit rusty and broke of right at the bend. Went down to Sun Valley to hit the hospital as I could not grab onto it. Went in and asked for a scalpel to make a small incision - they would not give it to me and like an idiot had them take it out. They charged close to $150 for about 5 minutes work. Should have gone to the pharmacy close by for cheap razor blade.

A few other dumb things that I have done while fishing:

Gotten all the way to the river, dressed up in the waders, rod all strung up and off to one of my favorite spots - all excited as first time out in the early spring. Go to tie the fly on and realize it is back at the house 1/2 hour away.

Another first time out - trying out a new river that I had wanted to fish. Had a whole big gear bag of clothes for any weather situation, had a couple of rods in the car, had the flies this time . Find the small nondescript parking area Get out and get waders on, put the rod together and then go to put the reel on - not quite. Had taken all the reels out the night before and had checked the lines, put new leaders on and left them right on the coffee table. 45 minute ride back home and 45 minute ride back and I was fishing. River sucked, nothing like I had thought it would be.

Checking out a river in ID and see this unbelievable rainbow consistently rising below me. Rush to put everything together and scamper down the embankment to area I can get a cast off to the fish. Actually caught the fish on a big salmon fly. The adrenaline was pumping. Everything worked like it should and I was smiling from ear to ear. Got back up to the truck as I figured I'd go back to the camper I was staying. Kept the waders on, broke flyrod down and put it in the cab and drove the eight miles down the dirt road to where I was staying. Got out of the truck get out of waders - and realize that I left the boots on ground where I had parked the truck.

Heading over to Monomoy on the water taxi to fish for the day. Had two reels with me. For some reason i took the spool off the frame on one of the reels and lost a piece of the reel. Boat was hitting some small chop and the piece was gone. It didn't ruin the trip as had other reel, but did slow me down. Ended up throwing that reel away a little while later - had some issues with it anyway.

I was trolling the outer habour (Boston)and hooked up what turned out to be a 12 lb.blue on a Magnum Rapala, got the fish next to the boat, reached down and with a head shake the damn fish jammed a treble into my right thumb deep past the barb. I reach down with my left hand and in a nano second my left thumb is hooked , also deep past the barb. Now I'm handcuffed to a big blue who's tearin my thumbs to pieces. I pull the fish over the side and step on him to stop the carnage, but the damn thing keeps floppin and rippin flesh and pissin me off.

I'm so mad, I rip my right hand free to grab the pliers, and the damn fish flips and sticks the treble in my leg, now I'm really pissed and I got a floppin blue stuck in my left thumb and right leg. The hook wasn't deep in the leg, and it came out easy, but I had to cut the treble to free my left hand.

I'm proud to say though I never cared for bluefish, I made that fish die slow on a hot grill, and savored every bite

It'all fun and games till someone puts their eye out!

gaff and release's story struck a memory for me.

I was in Canada fishing Northerns and before I went bought a new pair of 8" long nose pliers. I decided for once I'd get good ones and bought a pair of Manley SS so they would withstand the salt and have a long life. First Northern I hook I try to remove the hooks with the fish in the water, tail thrashes, head shakes and my $20 manleys drop to the bottom of the lake in canada redface.gif

That's not the embarassing part. I bought another pair that summer and the next year in canada I dropped the $20 Manleys to the bottom again redface.gifeek.gifcwm13.gif

That was 10 years ago and I have not spent more than $9.99 for pliers since.

"Sea shore washed by the suds and the foam, been here so long he's got to callin it home"

Went out in a 12 ft aluminum boat in some not so nice weather with three other guys to access an island that formed off in the shoals at the Point in Hatteras. We caught drum, but ended up coming back in the pitch dark shining flashlights all around us so the breakers that were coming from multiple directions didn't catch us sideways. Ah to be young and stupid again!

Mike S

I've got two, but I just got started fishing this past June so I have not had the oportunity to make as many dumb moves as some of the veterans here. HaHaHa

First, I was fishing the channel at my local breachway when a boat came out of nowhere and hooked my line. I didn't have the antireverse engaged on my Penn 650SS and the handle started rotating like a Beechcraft propeller. I tried to stop it and snap the mono with my hand...ouch. Then tried to engage the anti reverse. While doing all this, the handle whacked my fingers and the nail is just now falling off after several weeks. Tips of my fingers still numb, by the way. When the anti reverse engaged, the reel jammed and the entire bail mount and all the rest snapped off the reel. New gears, rotor and bail assembly required. Cost of repair at Penn ...$70.

A couple of weeks later, I arrived at my breachway. Flat ocean with huge 8-10' swells. Big blues out a ways. Me and two veterans out on the end stepping out between huge swells and trying to reach the fish. One of the guys, Gary, had already been knocked down and rolled. He left. Joe and I continued and I got hit and a wave took my feet right out from beneath me. Nothing hurt. Hey we were getting fish and it was exciting. Joe left and I continued. I saw a wave coming, but it did not look too bad so I stepped out and let her rip. Just then the wave hit the face of a rock, blasted upward and hit me in the chest, lifting me right off my feet and dropping me on the point of a rock about 8' behind where I had been standing. I was purple from the middle of my back to just above my right knee for about two weeks... out of work for one week... and a couple of months later I'm still a bit numb and sore.

Well, this is all in my first season.... imagine what's possible in the next few years. rolleyes.gif

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts" Jack Johnson.