JamesB

Surf Plugology - Lure styles - cowboy, conrad, slope head etc

Rate this topic

123 posts in this topic

Lets bring this post up again.

it is well worth reading.

Thank you Bassdzoer for taking time to write and post all those great information.

On 12/22/2013 at 4:58 PM, luctem said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bassdozer View Post

DANNY SURFACE SWIMMER Sr. Body length: 7-1/2" (excluding lip). ... blablabla

danny-surface-sr-mullet.jpg

Small question,... It seems that the line tie (head of the lure) here is not centered, but still a throughwire technique is used. I assume a second hole has to be drilled on the angle required. Are there any tips on how to drill the second hole?

On 12/22/2013 at 5:33 PM, MitchellNJ said:

I would assume the eye is bent down.

Nope and nope

Pin system on a drill press. 

You have a pin mounted to a square of plywood or MDF mounted on the base of the drill press (for a bench top model, on the table of a floor model)

You have a cut off bit of a 10P nail mounted in the board the point of which exactly lines up with the drill bit

Mark the spots where you want the holes to be and set them on the point of the nail with the longest possible drill bit going into the mark on the other side. Make sure the bit is sharp and keep clearing the chips.

Drill one side, flip, drill the other side,

use a hand drill with a very long bit, longer than the plug, to finish and clean out the hole

I never never miss using this system and can have the through holes come out wherever I want with only a 1/8" diameter bit. It's the key part of my machining method that has so little margin for error that it has to be nearly perfect to work

20170504_084735_resized.jpg.5f2c1d1d13db9c34cd278711c19f33c3.jpg

On 10/5/2019 at 0:28 AM, Sudsy said:

Nope and nope

Pin system on a drill press. 

You have a pin mounted to a square of plywood or MDF mounted on the base of the drill press (for a bench top model, on the table of a floor model)

You have a cut off bit of a 10P nail mounted in the board the point of which exactly lines up with the drill bit

Mark the spots where you want the holes to be and set them on the point of the nail with the longest possible drill bit going into the mark on the other side. Make sure the bit is sharp and keep clearing the chips.

Drill one side, flip, drill the other side,

use a hand drill with a very long bit, longer than the plug, to finish and clean out the hole

I never never miss using this system and can have the through holes come out wherever I want with only a 1/8" diameter bit. It's the key part of my machining method that has so little margin for error that it has to be nearly perfect to work

20170504_084735_resized.jpg.5f2c1d1d13db9c34cd278711c19f33c3.jpg

Nice info there, Let's see more of that piece you got laying there

Edited by DeepBlue85