Travel rod cases

Rate this topic

chisler

Ok, it seems St Croix has dropped the Traveler Rod Cases from distribution.  I'm looking for an equivalent or 'close to it ' case to keep my rod in while it rides in my car at about 60".

Before we get all the DIY suggestions, you know the giant PVC homemade rod tubes, these St Croix cases were not oversize - the rods fit pretty snug, and were lined - the rods were protected from internal rattling. 

Anyone have any suggestions on where  to look for a similar product?

Edited by chisler

I’ve been looking at single pair ski bags. There are some Amazon models that roll up on one end to accommodate different lengths. Rounding up, 60” is just under 160cm. Also look into the audio-visual world: speaker, microphone, and light stands all have cases available about that length. Gator makes a single speaker stand case that’s 58” internal, and about $30. K&M cases are nice too, and cheap. Just about anything made for musicians is durable as hell. Search “stand case” on B&H’s site and you’ll be spoiled for choice.

1 hour ago, Pawww_Snap said:

I’ve been looking at single pair ski bags. There are some Amazon models that roll up on one end to accommodate different lengths. Rounding up, 60” is just under 160cm. Also look into the audio-visual world: speaker, microphone, and light stands all have cases available about that length. Gator makes a single speaker stand case that’s 58” internal, and about $30. K&M cases are nice too, and cheap. Just about anything made for musicians is durable as hell. Search “stand case” on B&H’s site and you’ll be spoiled for choice.

Awesome information.  I deal with BH for a lot of things and will check out the options there!

16 hours ago, chisler said:

Before we get all the DIY suggestions, you know the giant PVC homemade rod tubes, these St Croix cases were not oversize - the rods fit pretty snug, and were lined

What kind of rods are we talking here?  I’ve built some DIY tubes for airline travel and thinner wall ones for shipping.  The limiting factor is usually the inner diameter needed to clear the largest guide on the rod.  Surf rods for spinning reels will tend to have a large guide, necessitating a large tube. 

For a slimmer profile, I think you’d want something with a rectangular or even triangular profile, but that isn’t what st.croix made.  

As for the DIY PVC tube approach, I put my rods in a sack before putting them in the tube.  This accomplishes somewhat of a “lining” effect you’re also looking for.  And I’ve also added external straps to help carry them too. 

The st croix Traveler cases work perfectly, I can't think of a better solution.  

The cases are for 2 pc spinning surf rods.  I lie them in the car, passing through the rear folded down seat.  When you want a rod you pop the end cover off the case with the rod you need and slide the rod out. No fuss.  And the st croix cases can take a beating!  The st croix case dimension is such that they fit the largest spinning guide- barely! 

This is my go to for custom rod travel cases.  I’ve purchased a number of cases from them, solid build and very reasonably priced.   The company is called Mountain Cork.  

I’ve purchased primarily for fly rod travel cases with reel attached.  But I’ve been considering a purchase for surf rod + reel transport for a SW trip in the future.  They are pretty responsive to help if you are looking for a custom build.

Edited by psquared
please don’t post commercial links here

3 hours ago, psquared said:

This is my go to for custom rod travel cases.  I’ve purchased a number of cases from them, solid build and very reasonably priced.   The company is called Mountain Cork.  

I’ve purchased primarily for fly rod travel cases with reel attached.  But I’ve been considering a purchase for surf rod + reel transport for a SW trip in the future.  They are pretty responsive to help if you are looking for a custom build.

This will work nicely.  Thanks a bunch!