30# Braid Breaking

Rate this topic

tkis7

I recently got a new surf pole a 9.5 foot ODM DNA with a 5500 penn spinfisher. 

I put 300 yards of 30 lb power pro braid on it and it has been breaking at very unusual times.  After cast on the retrieve. 

It has broke multiple different times throwing only a .5 oz NBLN paddle tail. And randomly breaking on the retrieve while the lure is like 20-40 yards still left to retrieve. Line seems to be breaking at my pole, not at the leader line or near the lure at all.  

Any ideas what could be causing this?  An issue with the eyes on the pole? Faulty line? 

I have never had this issue before. I am casting the lures very far and hard and throw plugs on it that are 2 - 2.5 oz.  So I am putting a lot of strain on the line.  But I have never had this issue before with other line/poles. I did notice some of the braid fraying. 

What would you do?  

check the eyes on the pole for chips?  If no issues with the pole reline with 50 lb braid? 

Thanks

Edited by tkis7

As others have said, check your guides, take your time with a pen light and a q tip or cotton. Do a check on any other points of line contact, line roller, bail or pickup, spool lip. Run out 50yrds of braid and carefully walk it checking for any abrasions.

Are you fishing rocky structure. How often do you cut back and retie?

Edited by Sandbar1

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

2 hours ago, ASrod said:

Take a q-tip and swirl it around each guide, it sounds like a crack in the ceramic. Swirling the q tip around will help you find the crack.

:agree: 

- Life is a waiting room, I hope they don't call me soon...... 

- Thomas Jefferson - "The course of history shows that as government grows, liberty decreases"

Our flag doesn’t fly because the wind that moves it. It flies with the breath of every fallen solider who protected it.

On 12/10/2023 at 9:38 PM, tkis7 said:

I put 300 yards of 30 lb power pro braid on it and it has been breaking at very unusual times.  After cast on the retrieve. 

It has broke multiple different times throwing only a .5 oz NBLN paddle tail. And randomly breaking on the retrieve while the lure is like 20-40 yards still left to retrieve. Line seems to be breaking at my pole, not at the leader line or near the lure at all.  

Any ideas what could be causing this?  An issue with the eyes on the pole? Faulty line? 

I have never had this issue before. I am casting the lures very far and hard and throw plugs on it that are 2 - 2.5 oz.  So I am putting a lot of strain on the line.  But I have never had this issue before with other line/poles. I did notice some of the braid fraying. 

What would you do?  

check the eyes on the pole for chips?  If no issues with the pole reline with 50 lb braid? 

Thanks

What ASrod said first. But second, consider the line roller being stuck causing the fray. Or a gap in the roller and the arm. Line can get stuck in a gap. 

Also, if you’re throwing a half ounce jig & rubber and there’s not 100% perfect line management and/or the spool is overfilled, and/or the line is not pulled tight to remove slack or loops over the spool after casting, these can all cause line slap - or whatever terminology you pick. (Wind knots are the acute issue but this describes the disease that causes them.)

That line slap can also fray line and I have lost plugs & jigs when the line is mismanaged on the spool & I try to muscle a light offering for distance or into the wind. (And heavier plugs too, but usually happens before I switched away from the lighter plug/jig.)

I don’t think this happened in a few years, personally. I really focus on the line laying tight & orderly on the spool. (Watch videos of guys working a pencil popper for a visual example of getting the tension in a slack line.)

Could be irrelevant but it’s worth mentioning. 

As others have mentioned it’s probably a cracked guide. Use a cotton ball or something and rub it around the inside of the ring to see if any fibers stick. 

then do a visual inspection- use a good light and a magnifying glass (or even a jewelers loupe) and look around, inside and both outsides of the ring. I have had them on the outside of a ring,  not the inside, hardly noticeable… but with a fish on my line turned into Swiss cheese 

MORE OVER- if it’s a new rod - just take it back to the shop or contact the manufacturer and let them take care of the issue. Most rods have warranties

On 12/10/2023 at 9:38 PM, tkis7 said:

What would you do?  

Thanks

Please update what you found if anything,this is good for others in the future reading back..

troll #122  <*)))<

even with the crappiest, knock-off braid on earth, you're not repeatedly breaking off while retrieving a 1/2oz jig unless something is cutting that line.  PP can have quality control issues, but that's not what's going on here.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.