Van Staal

Rate this topic

Metallica

I visited a local tackle store that informed me that Van Staal has now discontinued the VSX line replaced by the VSX2 does anyone know this to be factual? Forgive me if this topic was discussed before.

"If I could have my wasted days back would I use them to get back on track? Stop to warm at karmas burning or look ahead, but keep on turning. Do I have the strength to know how I'll go? Can I find it inside to deal with what I should'nt know?"

5 mins ago, OnlyDinks said:

Yes. There are still a few vsx’s on shelves but they are becoming harder and harder to find. Supposedly the will make parts for vsx’s for 10 more years. 

Thank you

"If I could have my wasted days back would I use them to get back on track? Stop to warm at karmas burning or look ahead, but keep on turning. Do I have the strength to know how I'll go? Can I find it inside to deal with what I should'nt know?"

3 hours ago, Metallica said:

I visited a local tackle store that informed me that Van Staal has now discontinued the VSX line replaced by the VSX2 does anyone know this to be factual? Forgive me if this topic was discussed before.

Didn’t you watch Craig’s hype videos? They VSX2 is more rigid. It has a unibody, now all your energy is turning the rotor putting line on the spool…

18 mins ago, ged said:

Didn’t you watch Craig’s hype videos? They VSX2 is more rigid. It has a unibody, now all your energy is turning the rotor putting line on the spool…

No, I missed the memo.  lol

41 mins ago, ged said:

Does it create a vortex though?

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

It seems that most of what i’ve heard about the new VS X2 has been somewhat negative. What is the consensus of those who bought one? I’m not in the market for one right now, but the biggest factor for me would be the increase in weight. With the advances in rod blanks and components getting lighter, this would be a my biggest complaint, as it would really affect balance. Other manufacturers like Visser may see some longtime VS users looking in their direction.

34 mins ago, Mack26 said:

It seems that most of what i’ve heard about the new VS X2 has been somewhat negative. What is the consensus of those who bought one? I’m not in the market for one right now, but the biggest factor for me would be the increase in weight. With the advances in rod blanks and components getting lighter, this would be a my biggest complaint, as it would really affect balance. Other manufacturers like Visser may see some longtime VS users looking in their direction.

I've heard the same, murmurings of failed pickups, drag issues and some others I cannot recall at the moment. I've also heard the same about Visser. I guess these issues come to light once the reels are used for their intended purposes, time will tell on the durability and dependability of these new models in the market.  I did handle both recently, the Visser did not impress me at all. it felt soft lacking substance, and clunky, the finish I saw was terrible akin to dunking the feel into a bucket of children's tempera paint.  the VSX2 on the other hand feels very smooth, solid and well built, immaculate finish.  My opinions are of course generalizations based on a few cranks of the handle.  Hopefully both develop into solid choices providing an angler in the market with a choice. 

If you like the VS and the VSX then you will like the VSX2. It's built on the same proven platform with the biggest design changes being the location of the AR to the front of the body & bailess models now having a skirted spool. This change added some weight. Initial problems came with the bailess roter needing a re-design of the ramp.  This was addressed.

Having handled all of the VSX2 bailess models I think they are good but I am staying with my older cupped rotor Van Staal models. The cupped slotted rotors are classic.

As for the bailed VSX2 reels, they are all excellent and the redesigned stronger bail mechanism is a big improvement over the older bailed models.         The new 50 size X2 is a beast.

Yes they have been discontinued for a while now unfortunately, maybe even over a year. Even about 6 months ago it was almost impossible to find a NIB VSX200 in silver. Now you can pretty much only find 150s in black, and maybe some 250s at the usual big shops. (Not sure if VS produced wayy more black reels and 150s or people bought up all the silvers and 200s). Not sure how part availability is going to be but I dropped off a VS250 almost 3+ months ago at SWT for a new traverse guide and full service...only today did I get a call that it was ready for pick up.