Sluggo style hook question

Rate this topic

FishEastCarolina

Looking for a hook to make 5-6” fluke baits sink more horizontal instead of headfirst with a jighead. Do the sluggo lunker city hooks ride point up? It’s useless to me if it rides point down as I fish shallow water with lots of things to hang on. 

looking to rig zoom super flukes, Zman streaks ect photo is of a similar hook I found in sizing small enough to fish with these baits

IMG_8630.jpeg.5ea2936436ca3d41aa3e6f66a7e307d7.jpeg

That Lunker City hook is meant to have the point come out of the belly of a bait not the top so the hook rides point down. Without the weight of a jighead, the hook point will be heavier and roll to the bottom.

If you are fishing in shallow cover, why not use a weedless hook with a weighted shank(like a Beast Hook)?? Fluke have no problem sucking them in and ZMan makes several styles that work well with their baits. I have found the stretchiness of ZMan to make it hard to get nail weights positioned well so don’t go that route much.

3 hours ago, FishEastCarolina said:

Looking for a hook to make 5-6” fluke baits sink more horizontal instead of headfirst with a jighead. Do the sluggo lunker city hooks ride point up? It’s useless to me if it rides point down as I fish shallow water with lots of things to hang on. 

looking to rig zoom super flukes, Zman streaks ect photo is of a similar hook I found in sizing small enough to fish with these baits

For all plastisol baits, weighted Owner Beast hooks....4/0 is probably the right size....can adjust, as needed.

For Z-Man stuff (elaztech), use their weighted hooks (Chinlockz SWS or new ZWG Weighted Swimbait Hook)

+1 on weighted swimbait hooks. I like the Owner beast, but haven't tried the ZWG. If it's still nose-diving on one of those, a Lunker City insert straight into the tail should help. I don't see why it wouldn't stick in a Zman given the grooves on the inserts look exactly like Zman's own Headlockz hooks:

Z-Man Headlockz HD Swim Jig Head 5pk

Inserting a nail style weight into a zman can be tricky. I have found that carefully using a lighter to heat a wire (think thin like a small paper clip)will easily melt a very thin hole in the elaztech. This easily allows for a perfectly centered channel to insert the weight.