What’s your favorite Tog recipe?

Rate this topic

atv223

I don’t know if it’s my favorite recipe or not. But it’s definitely one I use quite often.

I just love take it filleted, smothered with old bay and butter. Then it goes in a tinfoil boat, with the top folded over to, to seal in them juices. Then into the oven or on the grill.

It’s literally like eating handfuls of crab meat or what I like to call it, the quick and easy, poor man’s lobster recipe lol!

EA

Edited by ExcessiveAngler

Try this.  You'll thank me later. 

“Drunkin Blackfish Stew”

Ed Nolls recipe:

quarter cup butter

one medium onion diced

two medium potatoes diced

half cup celery sliced and diced

two cans cream of potato soup

two or three cups fresh homemade fish stock (or clam juice)

couple of dashes of Worcestershire

salt and pepper to taste

one to two pounds of fish (blackfish) - if you use clam juice add some other fish that will flake like flounder or sea bass

one teaspoon salt

one half teaspoon pepper

Vermouth

Sauté onions in butter.  Add potatoes, celery and fish stock or clam juice and cook until potatoes are al dente before adding potato soup. Add fish when broth is boiling.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Add vermouth (not to taste, you don’t want to overwhelm) but up to a quarter cup… but add slowly until you know something is there but you're not sure what. Try to make sure that there's plenty of fish and potatoes.  I've added mashed anchovy but, like the vermouth, just enough to know it’s there.

14 hours ago, Saltfruit said:

Your fish are filleted and skinned no doubt....

But a cornstarch/salt/pepper dusting on the collar+belly piece, fried until crispy is absolutely delicious.

Frying the skins in oil until the scales start to flower is also delicious.

This recipe lets the fish be the star.

Blackened Blackfish

Ingredients

• Blackfish fillet (8oz)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • pinch of cumin
  • 1 teaspoon thyme or oregano
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 lemon

Instructions

1. Rinse fillet in cold water, pat dry
  2. Mix spices in a small bowl and cover the fish entirely.
  3. Heat butter on a cast iron skillet (it has to be very hot but be careful not to brown/burn the butter) and place fish in it. Cook for 4 minutes on one side and than for another 3 minutes on another side.
  4. Move to the plate and squeeze some lemon on top. Serve.

Notes

• Do not move fish during cooking otherwise it may stick to the skillet.
  • Top fish with chopped green onions, lemon slices, chopped cilantro or parsley

Tog is the star of the dinner and my fishing acitvities when they around.

Cook your fillets the way you like.  But, make your own sauce.  Wife makes homemade tartar sauce.  Dill, may, pickles, lemon, and worsteshire sauce.

Any over jazzed up heavy spiced drowned in oil or cream reciepes you save for the bluefish........

IF you need the good flavor to last.  Then make seafood stuffing out of the fish.   I mainly do that with stripers.  Again, pick your posion online for a reciepe.  I use a simple corn and pepper one.   Sometimes add crab or oysters for some more seasfood flavor.  Perfect for stuffed mushrooms, stuffed peppers, roll it up in fish fillets, or butterfly shrimp.   Haven't stuffed eggplant like that in years but wsn't bad either.