Question. Northern Maine Fishing Season

Rate this topic

PSeggs

47 mins ago, skinnywater said:

There's a lot of places you can ice fish in the north zone. You have to look up the body of water you want to fish in the rule book and it will tell you if it's open to ice fishing or not. 

Ok. I didn't dive too deep into it.  I will.  

Just read that in the general guidelines and thru me for a loop.  

Thanks.  

21 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

Most lakes/ponds are open year round in the southern half.  Certain rivers too.  The lack of warm water species up north leads to stronger protections for cold water populations up north.  Keeping salmonids is off limits state-wide at this time.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are some put and take bodies of water you can keep them right now.  The otter ponds in Standish come to mind, but I don't fish them so can't be sure without looking at the rule book. 

30 mins ago, skinnywater said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are some put and take bodies of water you can keep them right now.  The otter ponds in Standish come to mind, but I don't fish them so can't be sure without looking at the rule book. 

I think you might be partially right.  Anyone looking to keep, or just access, really needs to look at the rule book closely.  Most of Otter Ponds are S-7 and ALO from Oct 1st to Nov 31st.  A number of them are CI.  Most of the places I fish (southern) are S-7 until Dec 31st.  @PSeggs make sure you look at the book for whatever water body you want to fish.  Can get confusing.  And there are a ton of Otter Ponds with different rules, lol.

Edited by Skunkoff

• 4 weeks later...

So there's no river trout fishing for in-land Maine post-October 31st? Have a trip up north this weekend and was doing some research myself and was surprised to see closures Oct 15 and 30th for what looked like all rivers.