Accident at Big Monmouth

Rate this topic

bass-o-matic

A Fishman was struck by a car while crossing Ocean Ave.  The police are there and his bag and rod are still on the street with outlines around them.  The police officer said he was taken away in an ambulance and was alive when he left.  Prayers for whoever it was.  Please be careful out there.  Turn you light on when crossing the street to make yourself more visable.

"I just do what the voices in my tackle box tell me to do."

5 mins ago, bass-o-matic said:

A Fishman was struck by a car while crossing Ocean Ave.  The police are there and his bag and rod are still on the street with outlines around them.  The police officer said he was taken away in an ambulance and was alive when he left.  Prayers for whoever it was.  Please be careful out there.  Turn you light on when crossing the street to make yourself more visable.

Yes, lights.

Nevertheless, it happened around 4:00 PM, so plenty of visibility.

Either the driver didn't stop, or as I have seen way to many times, the first car stops for the fisherman, surfer, beach-goer, in the crosswalk, and the driver behind the first car swings right onto the wide shoulder still doing 40 MPH.

That's why Monmouth Beach PD has Jr. Police putting cones at the crosswalk all Summer long.

The big problem IMO is %^$#@(* cell phones. I constantly see drivers on the highway swerving all over, you pull up next to them and they are texting or reading texts. They should be jailed. Until that is fixed I cross roads like I have always crossed - when no cars are coming. Don't assume anyone will yield for you. To do anything else is taking your life in your hands. 

Was at the scene of accident. Happened to be fishing. Driver stopped. There wasn't any glare at the time so my guess is he was distracted or going at a high rate of speed.  Fisherman was on his side and responsive which is good. Obviously I'm not a doc but some broken ribs and a shoulder are very likely. Hopefully no head injury. 

53 mins ago, JMB said:

Hope the fisherman is ok. I often see stupidly on both drivers and pedestrians. Often see people walk right into the crosswalks thinking people will stop. I’m pretty conscious about waiting for no cars or both sides of cars are stopped.

I am kind of cautious but also make it clear that my intention is to cross the road so I will step off the curb and call every car a Khunt that doesn't stop. 

As a driver it is annoying to watch a pedestrian that will not make a move until the world stops. Just pay attention. 

1 hour ago, JMB said:

Often see people walk right into the crosswalks thinking people will stop.

About 25 years ago I was driving down one of the roads along the beach and I saw a guy up ahead walk up to a crosswalk but stay on the curb. I was probably at least 75 to 100 yards away doing the speed limit and since he stopped on the sidewalk and didn't enter the crosswalk I figured he was waiting for me to pass before he crossed the street(He had ample time to cross the street before I got to where he was). When I got to within 30 feet of the crosswalk he stepped off the sidewalk and walked right in front of my truck and started crossing the street. I had to slam on my brakes as hard as I could and swerve to avoid hitting him. He gave me a dirty look and continued across the street while I stopped and tried to catch my breath. 

Was I supposed to stop and let him cross? He wasn't in the crosswalk he was stopped on the sidewalk. I don't live in NJ so I don't know the exact rules when it comes to crosswalks.