I had no idea buying a file was so complicated

Rate this topic

Sudsy

I need to draw file the milling marks off of a new octangular BP barrel.

My 120+ year old Kearny and Foot mill file has pretty much seen better days and is getting honorably retired.

So I need a sharper angled tooth, single cut file, called a "lathe" file,

preferably two, one with 40 ish TPI for the rough cut and one with 50+ TPI for the polish cut

NOT crappy Chinesium stuff, looking at Bahco, made in Portugal, have a better rep than far east tools. Flatness is extremely important here.

What I can't figure out is how to read the code. Example, what the hell does this mean? ....

1-104-10-3-0

or

1-143-08-3-0

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

3 hours ago, ontheline said:

Kibler Longrifles sells the perfect files for what you want to do.

Just looked - he sells Bahco's so I guess I was on the right track

I still don't know how to read the code though

I've been expecting the Perfessor  to stop in and answer this

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Found this which probably explains the 3rd and 4th specifications.

Larger numbers are finer. Teeth per inch depends on the length of the file.

Files 10" and up: 00=30tpi 0=41tpi 1=51tpi 2=64tpi 3=79tpi 4=97tpi 6=142tpi

Files 4" to 8": 00=41tpi 0=51tpi 1=64tpi 2=79tpi 3=97tpi 4=117tpi 6=173tpi

Files 3" in length: 00=51tpi 0=64tpi 1=79tpi 2=97tpi 3=117tpi 4=142tpi 6=213tpi 8=295tpi

Escapement files, needle files 4"to7-3/4", and regular rifflers: 0=51tpi 2=79tpi 3=97tpi 4=117tpi 6=173tpi

I'll check some machinist reference books I have. Most of my files are inherited from my grandads! Many are also uselessly dull. :(  Fortunately I have enough stationary and hand power tools that I rarely need files. I still have PTSD from a project 30 years ago where I had to file 35mm film perforations in aluminum tubes for perfume bottle prototypes of Karl Lagerfeld's Photo. If I were doing it today I'd figure out a way to punch them. Progress comes from the lazy!

EDIT: you might try posting the question at one of my favorite resources, oldfartsmachinists, AKA homeshopmachinist dot  net. There's some deeply knowledgeable dudes there. 

Edited by gellfex

I'm getting started on a Chambers Smooth Rifle circa 1760-1770

My ggggggreat grandfather probably carried this gun

Ordered these two Bahco's from Amazon this morning -

Bahco 1-104-10-3-0 Smooth Cut Lathe File 44 TPI for removing the mill marks 

Bahco 1-143-08-3-0 Mill Cut 3 53 TPI to do a polish cut

Since I also rehab vintage Sabatier chefs knives, this one will see a lot of use.

If you really like the original file, you may want to reach out to Boggs Tools.  It has been many years since I used them, but I sent them a bunch of files that had seen there better days - vixen files and bunch of other Nicholsons .  They have some sort of sharpening methods and they came back as sharp as new.  The sharpening is pretty inexpensive and works great.  This reminds me I have some of my Dad's I need to send in.  They wil let you know if they are too far gone to sharpen

Edited by rathrbefishn

On 12/9/2023 at 8:51 PM, Sudsy said:

I'm getting started on a Chambers Smooth Rifle circa 1760-1770

My ggggggreat grandfather probably carried this gun

It's good to hear you were able to find the files that you needed! Not only are you building a smooth rifle but it is also a time machine!!!!!!!! I can only hope it puts you in the shoes of your gggggggggggggggreat grandfather every time you pick it up. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the finished product. God speed and a steady hand.

On 12/9/2023 at 9:17 AM, richie c said:

I cant remember the name of the SOLer who is a machinist, he might be of help:shrug:  Tavern regular.

@bigfish4me :wave: 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

haha. I told Jerry in all my years i never heard of those specifications. I have 100’s of files and just chose the one that seemed to do the job best not once ever knowing specific classifications other than mill, bastard, etc…. I will look in my machinist handbook tomorrow, which is like 5” thick,  to see if that shines any light on the subject 

what's the secret word for tonight