Jump to content

Looking for a premium mono for freshwater

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

I would appreciate your help.

i am planning on being more serious this year with freshwater bass.

i bought a new spinning rod.

13Fishing envy black III (medium light) paired with a Daiwa Ballistic 2500 reel.

Now I’m thinking about a line and have been thinking about mono. (all my saltwater rigs are braid).

I just wanted to try something new and I was wondering if you guys have an opinion about a premium monofilament line.

 

trilene Xl and big game seem popular 

maxima green and suffix advance also seem very good.

 

Your advice is very much appreciated.

thanks

pete

Edited by PencilPopperPete
Accidentally posted too soon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've used the trilene XT for decades.

I like the XT because it has very good abrasion resistance. It specs out at a slightly higher diameter than similar lines.

I feel like the XL gives more tangles and breaks easier.

 

I finally switched over to braid on almost everything but I still run 4 lb XT on my light trout gear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Same here, braid & Flouro leader. Mono just seems like ancient tech to me @ this point. It's just the benefits outweigh any negatives for my style of fishing.

I'm sure there may be times or situations where a straight mono setup may be a better choice?

If you need/want line stretch or maybe abrasion resistance is your prime objective.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, PencilPopperPete said:

I would appreciate your help.

i am planning on being more serious this year with freshwater bass.

i bought a new spinning rod.

13Fishing envy black III (medium light) paired with a Daiwa Ballistic 2500 reel.

Now I’m thinking about a line and have been thinking about mono. (all my saltwater rigs are braid).

I just wanted to try something new and I was wondering if you guys have an opinion about a premium monofilament line.

 

trilene Xl and big game seem popular 

maxima green and suffix advance also seem very good.

 

Your advice is very much appreciated.

thanks

pete

What exactly are you planning to fish?

Rubber worm in clear water, I use fluro on a baitcaster, 

Bigger plugs,lures, I use braid with fluro leader.

Trout I use braid, tiny leader. Maybe 4lb mono

I don't think many of my setups are strictly mono . I'd look at suffix brand mono and line.  Where about are you fishing. Not specifically but generally? 

troll #122  <*)))<

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mono is like an old friend and I just wanted to see how it has matured over the years.  I’m sure there are production and technical advances that have improved it.
I’ve been fishing braid on my saltwater spinning rods.

I fish the surf mostly and my line is braid to large bulky swivel (to catch and keep mung off the lure), to a flouro leader, to a clip.  It works for me.

 

fly fishing is a little different,  flouro is not always the answer.  Mono has a different suppleness and when I want drag free drifts there are types of mono that give me a much better drift.  Flouro also sinks, so if I’m fishing dry flies then I prefer mono.

 

i was thinking the same thing might apply in freshwater bass fishing.

mono has a different sink rate than braid or flouro. So if I’m fishing a wacky worm, I may get a more appealing drop.  Also, I’ve always had a tough time tying braid to mono or flouro in smaller diameter lines.  
 

I enjoy cruising my pond in my sportspal canoe.  
and the new rods are amazing …. The envy black rod paired with the ballistic is the lightest bass rod that I’ve ever touched (I know there are lighter) but the sensitive, fast, light rod and reel combo has me surprised.

its all fun and I’m looking forward to next summer …a frog inthe pads, a jitterbug in the evening, swimming a lure, or bouncing worms and jigs.  There’s no need for a big cast when your in a canoe.

so I was just wondering if there was anyone out there that has revisited mono.

Edited by PencilPopperPete
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, z-man said:

Don’t do mono at all. Go with braid with a fluorocarbon leader. 

But what about in real ultra light spinning applications?  In the spring I trout fish in rivers using a 5' ultra light rod with a tiny  Shimano reel.  Either throwing tiny spinners or drifting salmon eggs on #4 mono.  Is braid that size available for that?

The Sultan of Sluggo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, PencilPopperPete said:

Mono is like an old friend and I just wanted to see how it has matured over the years.  I’m sure there are production and technical advances that have improved it.
I’ve been fishing braid on my saltwater spinning rods.

I fish the surf mostly and my line is braid to large bulky swivel (to catch and keep mung off the lure), to a flouro leader, to a clip.  It works for me.

 

fly fishing is a little different,  flouro is not always the answer.  Mono has a different suppleness and when I want drag free drifts there are types of mono that give me a much better drift.  Flouro also sinks, so if I’m fishing dry flies then I prefer mono.

 

i was thinking the same thing might apply in freshwater bass fishing.

mono has a different sink rate than braid or flouro. So if I’m fishing a wacky worm, I may get a more appealing drop.  Also, I’ve always had a tough time tying braid to mono or flouro in smaller diameter lines.  
 

I enjoy cruising my pond in my sportspal canoe.  
and the new rods are amazing …. The envy black rod paired with the ballistic is the lightest bass rod that I’ve ever touched (I know there are lighter) but the sensitive, fast, light rod and reel combo has me surprised.

its all fun and I’m looking forward to next summer …a frog inthe pads, a jitterbug in the evening, swimming a lure, or bouncing worms and jigs.  There’s no need for a big cast when your in a canoe.

so I was just wondering if there was anyone out there that has revisited mono.

I never stopped using mono.

It took me awhile to adapt braid. I dislike braid for several reasons but have accepted that braid is mostly better, despite me still not like several things about it.

 

The one application I have stayed with mono is the light and ultralight spinning gear. I find the smaller sized braid is most prone to the tangles, knots, and mysterious breaking I get with braid. 

 

The Trilene XT has always worked really well for me, especially in the lighter sizes. Running mono as a main line eliminates my biggest pet peeve on braid - the need for tying a leader knot.

I friggin hate leader knots and swivels suck too. And yes, I NEED a leader.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 mins ago, unskunk said:

uni to uni.......

What's so hard ?

If you're asking me that, I didn't say it was hard, I  said I hate doing it. 

Extra knot, extra time, extra thing to carry. I'm a KISS guy from way back. 

 

That's just how I roll. Been doing it for so long and it works for me.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also try to keep things simple.

I'm old. My eyes are bad. My knees hurt.  My mind is slowing down. I forget things.
anything I can do to make things simple is a good thing.

 

i just really love to fish.
Surf, pond, jigging through the ice or fly fishing an easy to wade stream….or fly fishing for kibbies on a warm lazy evening.

 

Speaking for myself, I believe simple is a good thing.

I do respect younger eyes, younger hands and younger bodies that can take on the more advanced techniques.  There are lots of good fishermen out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use Stren mono, 4lbs. on my UL rods for lures, and 6lbs. if I use power bait , if the line is put on right you should knot get line twist. I tried braid did knot like it , got a lot of wind knots,, I might even try 2lbs test on my spinning reel, about a mo th ago , a woman in New Zealand got a big rainbow, I forgot how much, maybe 25, 30lbs. and they thought it would be a world record for the line, it was 6lbs tests, so, that's why I'm going to try 2lbs test

LIFE MEMBER OF THE , BRUINS, SOX, PATS, B-WARE HATERS CLUB... LIFE MEMBER OF THE CANADIENS, YANKEES, GIANTS...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

But what about in real ultra light spinning applications?  In the spring I trout fish in rivers using a 5' ultra light rod with a tiny  Shimano reel.  Either throwing tiny spinners or drifting salmon eggs on #4 mono.  Is braid that size available for that?

Power Pro goes all the way down to 3lb test. I run 8 pound on my ultralights. It’s super thin and gets less tangles than 4 lb mono. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...