Who’s Seen the $25 Bucktails and Who’s Bummed About it?

Rate this topic

Ftyer

The ones that I have seen at that range have been very nice but they weren’t the the usual branded product. 

It’s the new normal at this point, the days of $7 bucktails are over. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

3 mins ago, Fergal said:

The ones that I have seen at that range have been very nice but they weren’t the the usual branded product. 

When I see a $25 bucktail, I expect the quality to reflect the price, and that’s generally the case, not for this company.

Buzzi has some seriously high-quality tails and his are well under $25. Harelines are around $10-$13 and are nicer…plus, they’re packaged in a bag that isn’t stapled shut so you can actually  select the tail that works for you.

1 hour ago, Ftyer said:

Fulling Mill is the company selling them, so any shop dumb enough to buy them should have them. 

I saw them at LL Bean while I was visiting Maine a few weeks ago. I took a pic, because I was truly astonished that a tail of this quality had such a price tag. 

06089D3C-4D03-43B4-B153-F23F4AFF7875.jpeg

They probably get them here, import to the UK and then send them back here.

That's a pretty shitty tail at any price.

I usually will not buy them, without seeing them.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

20 hours ago, Fergal said:

That ended with the Kungflu. Now there's bucktails a plenty and still high priced. 

I've seen the $24 tails and they are not even close to being worth it. Over the years jumping on the 6" plus hair length on tails bandwagon[30yrs]. I've found myself with lots of them bought when seen anywhere. THEN!!!!!! when tying different patterns I only had those long hairs mostly. Now,the scissors were cutting off portions of those hairs:banghd:.Over the last few years I've gone to the small tails marketed at the shows,shops,flee-bay,etc. There are sources out there that you can buy bulk at a still reasonable cost.

I've shown a little trick to folks at tying get togethers that I've done for years. Take your scissors and cut out the darkside of the bucktail completely.Start at the butt and snip straight up in sections clearing out as you go.It takes about 10 mins to do this. Of course that hair is great to use too [very overlooked and fine].But if you aren't going to use it get it out of the way. Now you have all of the "good" hair to access right to the hide. Culling the hairs in trimmed clumps you'll have long and shorts too.

In retrospect,the actual process of preparing a tail from beginning to end including dying is pretty time consuming. Thinking about that in itself a quality dyed tail below $10 is really a bargain. At $20+ that had better be a mega tail[7"] that you have "issues" about taking your scissors to. Just my thoughts:howdy:

Shadow is correct about the diy.

Over the years I’ve had access to essentially an unlimited number of tails (I could still probably do it) that needed full processing (starting at deboning). Its just not worth my time or effort. I still have some left from the last time I did a bunch. 

Quality hackle has been pricey for a while, bucktails have finally caught up. 

I guess I just want to clarify that I’m not complaining about the tails priced in the 10-15$ range by companies like Hareline, Spirit River, etc., nor am I complaining about the truly premium tails being priced over $15. In a world of rising prices, that all makes sense to me. 

What I’m complaining about is the company Fulling Mill selling crappy tails like the one above for $25 and passing them off as “premium.” I looked at many of them—the best I could, considering they use packaging that’s stapled shut and isn’t clear so you can hardly even see what you’re buying before you do—and not one was any better than what companies like Hareline and other sell for a fraction of the price, in most cases, they were worse.

Fulling Mill would be simply repackaging tails from Veniard or similar. They would not be sourcing their own.

Their rabbit strips are good quality to be fair. But again I suspect these are sourced from Hareline given they are the same colors and widths.