Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toad in Nj

Conventional or No?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

First off, if this has been answered somewhere else on this board (I haven't been up to date) please let me know and this thread will not be needed.

Right now I have a nice spinning set up but it is a tad small for jetty use, I have an 8-3 Ben Doerr with a VS150.

I would like to get something for Jetty use and from everything I have read conventional is the way to go for throwing eels, big swimmers, etc

I do have an 8 foot conventional rod it's a St. Croix that Betty and Nicks made and has been gathering dust for the past four years due to my not knowing what the heck I'm doing with the conventional reels.

The rod is heavy action and feels like I could land a shark with it, it does have some play in the tip but the butt is very stiff, is this too stiff or too short for eel tossing or for throwing big plugs? I'm interested in getting a reel for this rod if it proves to be useful for this type of fishing and since I haven't used a conventional other than for dropping a line on a Charter any help would be appreciated.

I don't mind spending some $ on it because in my experience if I take care of it it will last 10-15 years if not longer.

Is their anything out their that is more user friendly than the others, I'm not looking to spend $400 but around $200-225 at the most.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Todd

p.s. Levelwind or No? smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Toad in Nj (edited 07-04-2000).]

You can get away with an 8' rod, my personal preference is 9' for the rocks but the rod you described seems to have plenty of backbone so I think this would work for you. smile.gif

Reels, In the past I was throwing the Abu 6500 Mag Elite, nice reel and it comes with the level wind option which is nice if your not familar with conventional set ups. I'm currently giving the Penn Mag 525 a good beating and so far I love the reel, the only draw back is the reel does not have the level wind option. Either of these reels work great for the jetties. biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

For around $80-$85, you can get an Abu 6500 C-4 and it comes w/a levelwind..a nice casting reel with a very reasonable price tag...i am of course assuming you would like a levelwind reel..if not, there are plenty of non-levelwind reels out there...i have a Newell-229 that,ll outcast any other reel i own, but thumbing the reel gets to be a nuisance at times..without getting into a whole different price range id strongly suggest the afforementioned Abu...it a nice workhorse. Chas

Thanks for the replies.

Right now I have the rod matched with a Shimano Triton 400 that I have had for the past 15 years, it is in perfect condition, levelwind with 5:1 ratio. I can cast the thing about 25-30 yards with a 2oz sinker when I play around with it, I definitely need to put more time in.

I checked out the "search" feature and found some others who had a hard time getting used to the conventional vs. spinning and the biggest thing I got out of the posts was to be smooth, I am so used to "snapping" my casts off with the spinning rod.

The reel seems to be ok with higher weights but when I tried throwing a live eel with this setup last year I would have had better luck throwing it with my hands, it went 2 feet (not good for the ego)

More practice I guess?

Todd

Well Toad, all I can say is that to switch to conventional is like night and day for tossing bait and large plugs/tins but its does have a hell of a learning curve. It is tough to learn casting with a conventional reel because when a backlash hits, and it will happen, you spend more time cleaning the backlash then fishing. Start slow at first, cast 20 feet or so, then farther as you get the feel of the reel and how it handles, ex. the line going out, when it hits the water, as the line slows put more pressure on the spool to prevent the backlash. But you will need to put in some time practicing casting, and not worry about catching wink.gif. I learned by using a heavier line then you would normally use, 30-40 lb and a heavier lead, off a boat. I learned how to cast underarm from the boat and from the beach you will have to learn over hand or side arm. And if the wind, the alignment of the moon is right, I can cast just as far with my conventional set up as my spinning outfit smile.gif.

The reason most guys go with a conventional set up is first the drag is better, second the clicker when using bait, and third its just a beefer outfit. When you get proficent at casting it you will cast as far if not farther then with a spinner. I would suggust as a reel either Abu mag($150 and up) or Shimano 400/700( $160-200). Leverwind is a personal preferance. As for a rod thats up to you. Some people like a stiffer rod, others like some play/or give. But you need a rod thats going to handle the 3-6 oz of lead you are going to toss and the bait. So you can use the rod you have and see if it works for you.

I use conventional when bait fishing and spinning when tossing plugs and tins.

------------------

Robert

Ravenar@cybernex.net

Todd, the single most important thing is to make sure you load the rod correctly..you really cant "snap off casts" with conventionals the way you can with a spinner..you have to start a lil lower to the ground most of the time and load the pressure evenly....and then have your thumb ready to slow it down b4 it hits the water...the smoother you are when you load it, the less chance you have of an over-run or birdsnest..watch the spool while you cast and dont try for big distances at first..itll come as you get more comfortable with this kind of setup....i think the benefits of this kind of setup far outweigh the limitations...theyre all i use..once you get used to it you will realize you have more control over a fish during the fight just as you do fishing straight up and down on a boat...hope this helps.....Chas smile.gif

Toad, there's no real need to spend $250 on a conventionl--there's a ton of good reels across the board, like the various 6500 size Abus that range from $80 or so for the basic C3, up to $150 for the BG 6500 CL. Personally, I would look into the CS Mag Elite, the mag control will flatten that learning curve somewhat. Abu drags are far from the best, but I have heard that the washers from a 4/0 Penn Senator will fit the 6500 size Abu. I'm going to pick some up and see whether this helps. If you want to go higher, say from $150 to $200, take a look at the Penn 965 and the Shimano Calcutta 400. The Calcutta is a pretty tame caster, it has a widely adjustable centrifugal brake, and the best drag of any reel in its size range. It has been surprisingly durable for me, and I think eelman, who puts more use on a reel in one season than many guys do in 10, has had his hold up very well. I strongly reccomend that you buy a level wind. Eels and big swimming plugs will cast just as far (the wind resistance is what limits distance, not the reel--they'll probably go as far on a spinning reel, too) on a level wind as on a reel without one.

As far as the rod goes, as long as there's enough flex in the tip, it'll work. The problem with ultra-stiff rods is that you wind up tearing hooks loose from the eel when you make a hard cast. If you don't catch it right away, it leads to the backlash from hell and the end of your night, unless you have a spare reel or spool on hand.

1 last question and I'll let this thread die.

I am looking at the Abu site and they have the C4, C3, C reels listed, which one is the one you speak of? None of them say Mag Elite.

Thanks,

Toad

Hey Todd! Good to see ya back in circulation and over here at the place to be, at that. Go back to their website and scroll a little further down to "International Reels". It's the 6500CS Mag for the levelwind version. Mag "Elite" was the original name but there were issues with the use of the name "Elite" by Abu, although it's use seems to be again cropping up with great frequency. On da boards, anyway.