Tipping a subcontractor

Rate this topic

BARhopper

We have local GC doing a complete bathroom renovation currently. Today, the tile work in the shower is getting finished. The subcontractor doing the work has been a pleasure to deal with and has done an excellent job, but we are paying the GC handsomely for the work. Is tipping a subcontractor in such a situation expected these days? If so, how much?

6 hours ago, BARhopper said:

We have local GC doing a complete bathroom renovation currently. Today, the tile work in the shower is getting finished. The subcontractor doing the work has been a pleasure to deal with and has done an excellent job, but we are paying the GC handsomely for the work. Is tipping a subcontractor in such a situation expected these days? If so, how much?

I don't think subs or employees of a builder like myself expect a tip.  A gift certificate to a restaurant maybe. A customer once sent Omaha steaks to my house. Nice surprise.

We had a master bath remodel done.  GC turned out to be a douche bag.  He was such dick about change orders and (IMO) overcharging for minor stuff that I had the tile guy do some stuff and told him to let me know what I owed him.  When I paid him, he mentioned that was the first money he'd gotten on the job.  And we were paying Fat Jack as agreed, so he was stiffing his subs.  The paint crew owner did another job in the house for me and told me the same thing...  my paying him was the first money he'd seen.  Both the tile guy and paint crew owner said they were done with him after this job.  In their cases, I gave them other work (not related to the job) and my kids and two neighbors had them do work too...  I bought the paint crew lunch and the tile guy and helper as well.

Gift cards, lunch...  I think the gesture is a large part of showing appreciation.  (getting paid is always nice too)

Edited by Connetquot
add
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits"
Plutarch

Appreciate the responses. I'm a good judge of character and can tell the subcontractor is a stand up guy. I'm running on the reputation of the GC, but can tell he's just a bit of a bs'er with the customer, playing the part of always something being a problem or a pain in the ass with him but he's making sure I'm being taken care of. Typical and not necessarily offensive, but I've been around guys like that all my life and know it's just the m.o. of many of them. 

Gift cert to a decent restaurant for him and a mate.  Sounds like $150 well spent.

Subs should not get a tip in general. They have agreed to do a job at a certain rate through the GC and should be compensated well for being available to complete the task as scheduled.

When I ran my own crew any tip money if given because we went above and beyond was split between my guys.