Are Daiwa MQ series reels reasonably water tight?

Rate this topic

soundside

Are Daiwa MQ series reels reasonably water tight? I am looking to possibly move away from Van Staal. I own several VSB's in various size. Compared to all the reels I have owned over the last 40+ years they are pretty damn solid but not as water tight as they claim. The cost to service these reels every year is astronomical. The basic service isn't to bad , but when you add replacement parts forget it! I recently serviced one of my VSB'S myself. Basically simple but trying to get the parts was quite the task and when I could find them the prices were so inflated!! And guys most of the bearings are Chinese products. 

With all that said I was researching other options. Daiwa MQ series reels seem to almost be there based on my research. I can see one area that may be the week link, which is that little cover on the back end of the reel that allows access to the gears. Could anyone that owns one give me feedback on how water tight the reel is, the overall integrity of the reel and average maintenance costs?  

Thanks for your feedback. 

P.S. I know everyone has different opinions so let's keep this friendly please. 

(*member formerly known as 'surfdaddy')

my personal experience & a decent # of people I know directly, magseal isn't too good at sealing and should only be used if the reels won't get dunked or splashed, it can prob take light splashing every now and then but then there could be problems like a tech too heavy handed or too light with the fluid. Shimano's sealing in spheros/gosa/TP/Stella is way better IMO. Also Daiwa USA is probably the worst service center on this earth  

29 mins ago, GFA said:

You swimming with it or are we talking about wading and getting splashed? 

I am on the surf at least 4 times a week. I do my best to keep my reels out of the water but there are those nights they drink there share of water.

(*member formerly known as 'surfdaddy')

I would look at Okuma Makaira or Okuma Tesoro.  Google them on Okuma website. The Makaira is probably most waterproof reel you can find (apart from VS) and the Tesoro looks good as well.

The Makaira is a beast ,fully sealed all stainless gears. 

Personally I would stay away from magseal in surf and sand conditions.  Reports from South Africa surf fishing guys say they not good for those environments..  (anecdotal so take it for what it is)

image.png.7f88112c07e01f63388eb051a29e8817.png

image.png.4d3c9bcf19ed2c40dc4f38b29fa70c6d.png

Edited by Busanga

9 hours ago, Snook_Slayr said:

Shimano's sealing in spheros/gosa/TP/Stella is way better IMO.

This ^^^

Caution, this better sealing only applies to the SW TwinPower and Stella. (Along with Spheros & Gosa) The use of elastomeric seals on Shimano reels is a feature call X-Shield.

I use a mix of SW TPs and Stellas exclusively in the surf and have had no issues with them. They get sandy, they get cleared in the water, they get dunked and spray, no issues. Spray off with fresh water once back at the car and keep on trucking.

The other thing about Shimano is their North American service is second to none. I did kill a non-SW Stella using it in the surf. Sent it back to Shim for service and for $40 it came back with all new guts and good as new.

Shimano SWs are a solid option for a quasi sealed reel for surf play…

X Shield sealing.

IMG_1778.jpeg

Edited by Inshore

"Only through movement will you achieve victory"

x3 for Shimano sealing (Spheros esp for price) and excellent service center. I don’t swim with the reel, but it has been dunked and fished hard in the surf with no issues.

I have had issues with Daiwa and Penn, both the sealing and service. Don’t personally use VS as they’re a little pricey for what it is and for what I need a reel to do.

I fish daiwa certates as my primary reels for beach, pier, jetties.

Like to fish in rain, heavier winds, and rinse em off every trip.

I feel confident in the reel's performance against water, but not sand.

Just wouldn't be pleasant, and that's before you even get into the magsealed bits.

I do love the MQ bodies against water intrusion.

All reels will need service eventually, especially with what you intend to do with it. Daiwa's service dept and Mag Seal are dead last in ease and cost of customer service IMO. Shimano on the other hand, is the service dept gold standard! From the inexpensive Spheros SW to the mighty Stella SW, prices are more than reasonable, turnaround has been quick, and they will make it right one way or another. Technologically speaking, Daiwa might have a slight edge, Shimano wins after that.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

On 12/7/2023 at 10:18 AM, Snook_Slayr said:

Also Daiwa USA is probably the worst service center on this earth  

Funny, they've been nothing but bend over backwards helpful to me. But then I never agree with a word you or Scoobydee Doobidee ever say.

Edited by 0119

2 hours ago, Snook_Slayr said:

I’m glad they’re treating you good! Hopefully a change in their service staff 

I heard the moved places. So many that led to layoffs and new hires. Never know. 

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

I been fishing slammer 3 s since their release day many years ago. About to drop cash on a slammer 4 10k size.  Big sharks , jurrasic park tarpon. BG is great reel except I think its way down for your purposes behind the slammer and saragoosa.

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.