Good Rod For Conventional Reel

Rate this topic

Skatewingct

Hi everyone, my first post on here. I want to get a good Penn conventional reel and a rod to go with it. Will be my first conventional setup to fish with. I mostly use a 9' medium spinning rod to throw 1.5-3 oz lures.  The conventional will be for throwing cut bait with a bell on it. Want the extra distance perhaps and am just drawn to conventional reels. Anyway, can you all suggest some good rods that are not super pricey. 130 tops and hopefully there is a quality option for less. If I can do the same cast for 100 bucks or less than that's the one I would buy. Thank you.

5 hours ago, Skatewingct said:

Hi everyone, my first post on here. I want to get a good Penn conventional reel and a rod to go with it. Will be my first conventional setup to fish with. I mostly use a 9' medium spinning rod to throw 1.5-3 oz lures.  The conventional will be for throwing cut bait with a bell on it. Want the extra distance perhaps and am just drawn to conventional reels. Anyway, can you all suggest some good rods that are not super pricey. 130 tops and hopefully there is a quality option for less. If I can do the same cast for 100 bucks or less than that's the one I would buy. Thank you.

love the penn prevail, nice cosmetics great value and solid built.

model #presf1220c10

10 foot

1-4oz but, I think it is actually more like 2-6 oz.

the rod is fairly stiff which is what I want to throw heavy wood with.

2 oz and a chunk all night long.

I don't have any Penn reels but I love my 7k abus and Omotos.

if you opt for an Omoto you can pm DonB, he's a member here. 

HH

IMG_20231206_225825.jpg.4afedcebdb46b0c3134c07167c3a2d86.jpg

IMG_20231206_225948.jpg.026c25bc1de84a50f33f7b8aa094d050.jpg

IMG_20231206_225837.jpg.2ddb4616088e49007b0e64d05e81146e.jpg

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Regretably, I cannot comment on a conventional rod in your price range, but if you believe in "buy it once, have it forever", my recommendation woulf be for a Shimano Tiralego rod (13ft, 4-10oz) Paired with a Penn Fathom II Star Drag Casting Special (knobby mag cast control).  I own both of these items, and never endorse a piece of gear I do not own.

I can provide a few videos of thew casting special free spool both at full on and full off mags.  See videos attached.

Penn Fathom 15 star drag. I use one on a 12' Penn Battalion conventional rod 4 to 10 oz for bull drums and sharks. Great reel. I use 17# mono on it. Works great for a 8 and bait heaver. I use a 40# shock leader  also. Reel cast like a dream once you dial it in. I have a Penn prevail 11' spinning with  a Penn 704 Z I use for soaking bait for Blue fish, It's a great rod for the money.

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

for a lower cost conventional rod I also agree with the Penn Prevail II, or slightly more expensive you can go with a Penn Battallion II. I have the prevail II and it has held up well, takes abuse without issue. great overall rod and I have zero complaints, have caught a lot of fish on it. The rating is under-rated for what it is, I have a 10ft 1-4 but it is more like a 2-5, so I suspect that the heavier models are similar in being under-rated. 

You can also look at Fiblink and Berrypro surf rods on amazon if you want to go lower cost than the penn's. I have a few fiblink rods that I use as loaners and they are nearly identical to the feel and action of the prevail II. 

I pair mine with daiwa lexa 400's, I like the low profile baitcaster, downside is no clicker. But I also don't spike my rods and generally I am plugging not chunking. 

Edited by Italianbuca