Halifax, Nova Scotia Recommendations

Rate this topic

Matt7082

Looks like I will be in or around Halifax for a few days this coming summer, maybe in June. I am trying to work in a day or possibly two days for fly fishing. My ship (navy) is supposed to pull in there for a week of so. I will not be able to bring my own gear and I will be limited to using public transportation. 

What kind of opportunities are there in the area? I’d love to hire a guide for a day. Big trout or pike are my main interest. I know Atlantic salmon are still a thing up there, but it doesn’t peak my interest a whole lot. And I am even less interested in striper fishing, although it may be the most convenient option considering the transportation restraints. Looking for recommendations. Thanks. 

4 hours ago, Matt7082 said:

Looks like I will be in or around Halifax for a few days this coming summer, maybe in June. I am trying to work in a day or possibly two days for fly fishing. My ship (navy) is supposed to pull in there for a week of so. I will not be able to bring my own gear and I will be limited to using public transportation. 

What kind of opportunities are there in the area? I’d love to hire a guide for a day. Big trout or pike are my main interest. I know Atlantic salmon are still a thing up there, but it doesn’t peak my interest a whole lot. And I am even less interested in striper fishing, although it may be the most convenient option considering the transportation restraints. Looking for recommendations. Thanks. 

I’d go for Atlantic salmon 

8 mins ago, surfflyguy said:

I’d go for Atlantic salmon 

4 hours ago, Matt7082 said:

let us know how this all goes and good luck ! Bottom fishing for halibut, a suggestion. 

Do you know if you will be pier side or anchored? Getting a liberty day fishing would be great.Also,dropping a line off the ship can be a blast too.I did it in many ports during my 4 years active.Droplines ranged from 60# test6/0 hooks to wire cable and bent rebar from the snipes. Mess cooks got involved with "bait". We had rods onboard too casting poppers off the fantail.

2 hours ago, theshadow said:

Do you know if you will be pier side or anchored? Getting a liberty day fishing would be great.Also,dropping a line off the ship can be a blast too.I did it in many ports during my 4 years active.Droplines ranged from 60# test6/0 hooks to wire cable and bent rebar from the snipes. Mess cooks got involved with "bait". We had rods onboard too casting poppers off the fantail.

Wow that’s awesome! I may try to bring a travel rod or two onboard with me. I can probably stash it in one of my storerooms. One of my guys actually fishes on the pier right next to the brow almost every night and does really well. The captain actually joined him a couple times. I could probably fish off the ship without any trouble. Only problem is it’s a LHD so the fantail is more than 30’ above the waterline. 

I don’t know whether pierside or not. I do know that the striper fishing up there has really developed recently. I’ve been striper fishing my whole life. I’d like to try something unique if I can. I was hoping maybe those giant brook trout, pike, or maybe if arctic char occur up there…? 

2 hours ago, Matt7082 said:

Wow that’s awesome! I may try to bring a travel rod or two onboard with me. I can probably stash it in one of my storerooms. One of my guys actually fishes on the pier right next to the brow almost every night and does really well. The captain actually joined him a couple times. I could probably fish off the ship without any trouble. Only problem is it’s a LHD so the fantail is more than 30’ above the waterline. 

I don’t know whether pierside or not. I do know that the striper fishing up there has really developed recently. I’ve been striper fishing my whole life. I’d like to try something unique if I can. I was hoping maybe those giant brook trout, pike, or maybe if arctic char occur up there…? 

You'll want a cod type rod setup designed for lifting up that 30' off the water. Bottom fish could be good eating.I was on a cruiser and tincan 1971-74. 15'+- off the cruiser to the water. Talk with the radar and sonarmen they'll let you in on the bottom structure. Thanks for you service.

On 12/6/2023 at 12:59 PM, Matt7082 said:

Check for a shark trip .