Question for BobG

Rate this topic

KidDkivahh

3 mins ago, KidDkivahh said:

Do you have or know the recipe for Paul Kukkonens Pink Ghost streamer? 

Honestly Kid, I don't. Paul himself taught me to tie, and I don't ever recall the Pink Ghost?

Paul was a real gruff guy, but for some reason he took me under his wing to teach me to tie flies.  

I think it might have had something to do with the fact that he and his close friend Ted Williams both had a taste for Wild Turkey 101*.:beers:

The Sultan of Sluggo

8 mins ago, bob_G said:

Honestly Kid, I don't. Paul himself taught me to tie, and I don't ever recall the Pink Ghost?

Paul was a real gruff guy, but for some reason he took me under his wing to teach me to tie flies.  

I think it might have had something to do with the fact that he and his close friend Ted Williams both had a taste for Wild Turkey 101*.:beers:

I kinda was hoping you had at least seen the fly. I know he pushed the name around though it was never to be seen for sale. One of those deals he was careful who got them. Btw would this be thee Ted Williams the writer IE the ball player? 

57 mins ago, KidDkivahh said:

I kinda was hoping you had at least seen the fly. I know he pushed the name around though it was never to be seen for sale. One of those deals he was careful who got them. Btw would this be thee Ted Williams the writer IE the ball player? 

Ted Williams, aka Teddy Ballgame. Ted and Paul were best friends. I met Ted twice in Paul's shop on Green Street when I was a kid.  

Couple incredible stories to share, but maybe I'll save them for another day.    Spoke to Ted on the phone the day Paul's first store was burned out. All time classic Ted Williams. As we get older you realize how incredible it was to hang with guys like that.

The Sultan of Sluggo

40 mins ago, JohnDe said:

Just googled Paul Kukonen and the pink ghost was on the first page of returns including a nice photo and list of materials.  I thought the cardinelle would have come up first.

Thank you found it know problem all it is a GreyGhost with pink wings. The Cardinelle is pattern he took credit for was tied By Bill Chilba from Springfield. Same as his Millers River special that was from Henry Scarborough.

30 mins ago, KidDkivahh said:

Thank you found it know problem all it is a GreyGhost with pink wings. The Cardinelle is pattern he took credit for was tied By Bill Chilba from Springfield. Same as his Millers River special that was from Henry Scarborough.

Miller's River Special! Yup, I recall that. You're right Paul took credit for it.  

The Sultan of Sluggo

2 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

Do you have or know the recipe for Paul Kukkonens Pink Ghost streamer? 

Kid,

Did you know a guy by the name of Royce Armand?  He worked at Paul's shop tying flies for Paul. The guy would sit there and tie flies for 8 hours straight.

The Sultan of Sluggo

12 mins ago, bob_G said:

Kid,

Did you know a guy by the name of Royce Armand?  He worked at Paul's shop tying flies for Paul. The guy would sit there and tie flies for 8 hours straight.

I remember him I was just a kid how long was he there for. I dont recall him there when I was in high school. Say after 1970.  

20 mins ago, KidDkivahh said:

I remember him I was just a kid how long was he there for. I dont recall him there when I was in high school. Say after 1970.  

:laugh: About 1965-70.  I'll bet you and I have bumped into each other over those years.

The Sultan of Sluggo