Forgot to tilt engine

Rate this topic

Pulled my boat and towed it for the winter out to moms, 2 hours away. I forgot to tilt the engine down upon arrival. Boat is covered but lower unit is not. Should i be concerned about water collecting and freezing in the prop housing? 

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

Depending on what engine you have you may be able to tilt it down manually from outside the boat with a screwdriver to relieve the hydraulic pressure that keeps the engine tilted.  Check your owners manual or google for your engine.  When I pull my boat and tilt engine down a lot of water drains out.   Not good to leave it in if temperature significantly below freezing    

He can tilt his engine w a screwdriver, I don't think thats his issue though

IDK, reason to worry?  Always.  Likelihood of issues?  Slim I think.

It really takes a somewat unique weather scenario to eff you up.  You need rain, with enough slush to collect water in the back of the gearcase housing, then bombing temps to freeze it before it drains.

Possible?  Sure.  Likely?  Probably not.

I rarely tilt my down when in the water - IDK, had the boat 20 years, many of which I'm busting out the lagoon through skim ice, maybe I'm lucky but never had an issue.

I'd bet $ on being able to make it 3 weeks without losing sleep

On a sidenote, drive around, look how many morans you see with their engines tilted up on the trailer.  How many of them have issues you think?

Its not the tilting thats the problem. Its the 4 hour round trip. Theres no way im getting a 79 year old lady to climb onto the trailer, then onto the boat then hooking the battery up. I think i can get her to pour some antifreeze into the housing then tape a bag over the prop. That should cover things till i get out there.

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

16 hours ago, Bergallmaster said:

Its not the tilting thats the problem. Its the 4 hour round trip. Theres no way im getting a 79 year old lady to climb onto the trailer, then onto the boat then hooking the battery up. I think i can get her to pour some antifreeze into the housing then tape a bag over the prop. That should cover things till i get out there.

If you're worried, bag it.  Antifreeze will drain right out so.....

Terrible idea to let antifreeze drip out and pool on the ground.  Animals are attracted to sweet taste and it’s a nasty way to die of poisoning.  

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

1 hour ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Auto anti yes.  RV ?   I would not drink a glass of it but 10s of thousands of RVs get pumped full of the stuff every year.

Good point.  Non ethylene glycol different animal and might be harmless.  Was thinking auto antifreeze when I read it. 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black