Recommendations for 8wt

Rate this topic

Trelt

14 hours ago, Trelt said:

Right now the 3 rods I've been taking heavy consideration of are the TFO Pro, TFO LK (If I feel the need to spend a little more) or the Echo Ion XL. The only reason I kinda steered away from the Echo Ion XL a bit is because some people say it doesn't "feel" much compared to others.. but tbh I plan on doing mostly top water so that wouldn't really be an issue lol.

I have 2 Echo fresh water rods

6&7 they get the job done well , one thing I try to do is always request an extra tip before delivery , tips do break and it’s great to have that extra one in the truck available , I have other rods with extra tips 8&10 for saltwater again when traveling it’s always available.

If it has fins i want to catch it 

I saw that you mentioned the SA Titan Long line.  If you are capable of casting more than 40ft stay clear of it. The first 30ft might be +2 but the 'long' belly part means the entire head is massively overweighted. One of the worst casting lines I have tried. 

The original Titan taper was great. Why the hell they thought this was better is beyond me? 

Not exactly sure what length head you prefer, but the Rio Smallmouth line has 38ft head plus a handling section.  Sierra has it on sale (6wt, or 8wt) for $49.  The head portion is an orange color so easy to track and make sure your line isn't hung up on the veg.

I have a much older version of this line that I like for short presentations with big flies.  It was a dull olive green and meant to match the Sage Bass rods.  That line is very difficult to find now. 

rio-smallmouth-1.jpg

rio-smallmouth_2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I fly fish for freshwater bass often and the Fenwick Aetos makes one of the best value rods for freshwater.  * The 5wt is a great all-rounder for trout on the Farmington River.

Edited by TimS
We don't allow commercial links here
(*member formerly known as 'SWPaulie')