Recommendations for 8wt

Rate this topic

Trelt

Hey y'all, newer fly fisher here with an urge to catch some green fish. After doing some research I've gotten a Lamson Liquid S 7+ reel and decided I want an 8wt for bass fishing.
I'd like some recommendations on rods preferably <$250 .. and some good bass taper line that would match it well. I would also like to do some freshwater striper fishing with it too. If there's a different line you would recommend for that then please do! I'll most likely get another spool for that in the future. Thanks!

When I wade or even kayak fish for lmb I value accuracy more than distance. Sometimes there is just a 2 ft hole in the pads you need to hit from 50 ft away. I would recommend a medium slow action that might be better on accuracy at that range . Personally I use a self built Pacific bay blank that probably cost less than 200 to build. An 8 wt would be the perfect size. As for pre built rods comparable to that I would recommend the maxcatch premier. Redington also has a few mid action rods in your price range that all will perform if you want to buy American.  I've also heard good things about wild water rods. Even cheaper. My switch rod was less than 100 and has good components and cast just fine so I would think their single hand rods are good also

Edited by onthefly

27 mins ago, onthefly said:

When I wade or even kayak fish for lmb I value accuracy more than distance. Sometimes there is just a 2 ft hole in the pads you need to hit from 50 ft away. I would recommend a medium slow action that might be better on accuracy at that range . Personally I use a self built Pacific bay blank that probably cost less than 200 to build. An 8 wt would be the perfect size. As for pre built rods comparable to that I would recommend the maxcatch premier. Redington also has a few mid action rods in your price range that all will perform if you want to buy American.  I've also heard good things about wild water rods. Even cheaper. My switch rod was less than 100 and has good components and cast just fine so I would think their single hand rods are good also

I appreciate the response. I'll mostly be wade fishing and also bank fishing (I'd love to get a kayak in the future). The reason I was considering a bass taper is because I've heard it helps a lot in those closer casts to load those big bugs, but I've also heard you need a faster action rod for that over-weight taper.. I'm not too sure because I am newer to the sport so I could be a bit ignorant haha. So if I decided to go for a slower action rod, would I not need as heavy as a taper for throwing those big bugs still? Also I haven't really looked into building a rod much but it does sound really fun. I imagine it might be cheaper to build a rod of the same quality than it would to buy an expensive one. 

1 hour ago, XBMX said:

See if you can find a TFO  TiCr-X  9ft 8wt  now discontinued but many were sold pretty plentiful maybe a NOS if you're lucky or per owned. They were $250 new probably around $150 used.

I've heard great things about that rod, although, I'd like to get a rod first hand that would give me a decent warranty. 

26 mins ago, Trelt said:

I appreciate the response. I'll mostly be wade fishing and also bank fishing (I'd love to get a kayak in the future). The reason I was considering a bass taper is because I've heard it helps a lot in those closer casts to load those big bugs, but I've also heard you need a faster action rod for that over-weight taper.. I'm not too sure because I am newer to the sport so I could be a bit ignorant haha. So if I decided to go for a slower action rod, would I not need as heavy as a taper for throwing those big bugs still? Also I haven't really looked into building a rod much but it does sound really fun. I imagine it might be cheaper to build a rod of the same quality than it would to buy an expensive one. 

Orvis clear water comes in at 249 deff not cheaper to build a rod kinda like saying I’ll save money tying my own flies 

40 mins ago, Trelt said:

On pac Bay rod I use a outbound short 8 . I think it is a 1/2 over anyway. It throws dear hair bugs fine it's consider  medium fast rod. If you get a medium action rod I would stick to the line weight for that rod. Like I said earlier I strive for putting right in the zone I want. If you want to experiment with lines look at maxcatch site their line are pretty good quality and cheap I probably own about 20 of them from 3 wt to 12 in single hand and spey . I would not spend arm and leg on top of the line until you learn what what suites your style. Here are some fish from this year on my setup IMG_20230916_131037.jpg.2868b35fdd55eef6824ec4bb80464b40.jpgIMG_20230818_181207.jpg.8ccf17b36393107dff88afeda8674b5d.jpgIMG_20230930_105350.jpg.e417e441fed5e8d0045bef6aae6b3e3b.jpgIMG_20230719_183718.jpg.756ba37ca706305a0990bbf89383b9a2.jpgIMG_20230413_144325.jpg.61476ac5a34d6c2573345c6ba051e88f.jpgIMG_20230917_100647.jpg.e457e1795fce1d61c89b4e36635421a7.jpg

1 hour ago, Trelt said:

I've heard great things about that rod, although, I'd like to get a rod first hand that would give me a decent warranty. 

TFO has a great reputation re warranty service. Their policy is to Warrentee the Rod not the owner. My experience has been very favorable, out and back 3day service fishing in 10days.

5 hours ago, Trelt said:

No you just need to match the line to the rod. Don't.confuse slow action and power they are very different. You can have a very powerful slow action rod. You are falling into the trap.of gear before you even know how to use it. Fast rod slow rod medium fast rod will not mean a thing if you can't cast reasonably well.  

You do not need to overline as a matter of course. Overlining mostly is done because a rod is under rated. 

To start rod wise TFO Pro  9'  8wt. Get the Bass taper line in an 8wt. That will do a good job. Then learn how to cast it well. They don't cast themselves.

Mike

6 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

No you just need to match the line to the rod. Don't.confuse slow action and power they are very different. You can have a very powerful slow action rod. You are falling into the trap.of gear before you even know how to use it. Fast rod slow rod medium fast rod will not mean a thing if you can't cast reasonably well.  

You do not need to overline as a matter of course. Overlining mostly is done because a rod is under rated. 

To start rod wise TFO Pro  9'  8wt. Get the Bass taper line in an 8wt. That will do a good job. Then learn how to cast it well. They don't cast themselves.

Mike

It's an issue I have, I do tend to fall into gear traps :laugh:. Thank you for clarifying that for me.. I think it's just that most lines that are overweight are advertised as "overweight for faster action rods" .. so gets confusing when the industry seems to use that as a selling point. I have been looking at the TFO Pro 3, looks like it might be a good contender for that price. After looking at other lines, I'm thinking a Rio Smallmouth line might pair well. It's not very overweight (maybe by 1/2) and has that taper I'm looking for. TBH I've always liked the more laid back feel of a more moderate action anyway, was just confused by all the marketing around "fast action". Do you think this rod would handle some freshwater striper just as well?

1 hour ago, Trelt said:

It's an issue I have, I do tend to fall into gear traps :laugh:. Thank you for clarifying that for me.. I think it's just that most lines that are overweight are advertised as "overweight for faster action rods" .. so gets confusing when the industry seems to use that as a selling point. I have been looking at the TFO Pro 3, looks like it might be a good contender for that price. After looking at other lines, I'm thinking a Rio Smallmouth line might pair well. It's not very overweight (maybe by 1/2) and has that taper I'm looking for. TBH I've always liked the more laid back feel of a more moderate action anyway, was just confused by all the marketing around "fast action". Do you think this rod would handle some freshwater striper just as well?

I've got that rod,fish it a lot from a yak for bass/pike, and it's taper is patterned after the old Sage RPL 980,a 9' 8wt. In hand,if you weren't looking at them, you can't tell them apart for the way they cast.Not a fast action but a more progressive flex w/ a lot of power behind it.It'll throw a 6-7" pattern w/ no problem.Smaller fish are still sporty but has the muscle when ya need it.The progressive action is easy on your arm if you're fishing all day or doing a lot of rollcasts,like on a stream w/ overhanging trees/brush or flipping your way through pocket water where you don't need a bomb cast...not so much w/ a faster rod.Great all-round bass rod for SMB and LMB as well as stripers.

They will still warranty the rod.

I like a longer belly line on that rod than the short,fast tapers meant for today's fast action rods.Most bass tapers are good,I like the SA Titan Long.

32 mins ago, slip n slide said:

I've got that rod,fish it a lot from a yak for bass/pike, and it's taper is patterned after the old Sage RPL 980,a 9' 8wt. In hand,if you weren't looking at them, you can't tell them apart for the way they cast.Not a fast action but a more progressive flex w/ a lot of power behind it.It'll throw a 6-7" pattern w/ no problem.Smaller fish are still sporty but has the muscle when ya need it.The progressive action is easy on your arm if you're fishing all day or doing a lot of rollcasts,like on a stream w/ overhanging trees/brush or flipping your way through pocket water where you don't need a bomb cast...not so much w/ a faster rod.Great all-round bass rod for SMB and LMB as well as stripers.

They will still warranty the rod.

I like a longer belly line on that rod than the short,fast tapers meant for today's fast action rods.Most bass tapers are good,I like the SA Titan Long.

This all sounds great and I looked at the SA Titan Long line, it says it's 2 lines overweight but I assume it's just because of that fat front end. this doesn't make that rod feel mushy does it? I trust that since you use that rod setup, that it feels fine to you. Obviously I'd in theory want to find a line that works for myself but if I went with one similar to that I'd probably do the SA Bass Bug line.. looks like the same exact taper but for warmer water.

Trelt

It is just outrageous the way line companies fail to communicate with us properly. Sadly Rio is one of them. They were quick to make these claims for their Outbounds. Fast rods blah blah. What they should have said is today a great many rods are underated which is true. So we have this line which is up 2 over.its short 30 foot head. Some rods it will work with. Others you need to go down on one size of the line. Example Rod is marked up a 9 weight so you go to an 8 wt Outbound.  But you need to know how to match up a specific rod. If you are new that is not easy. In theory a good fly shop should be able to help. Some can Some can't.  For me the TFO Pro Seties in an 8 wt is an 8 wt. It will cast an 8 wt line to AAFTM standard and it will cast a 9 wt to AAFTM standard. This is burning my arse you should not be put into this guessing game. 

One way to maybe resolve this is to buy your rod and than at  the fly shop get them to let you.cast a couple of lines. If your current cast is not good enough to do the evaluation ask them to do it. If you know what a good fly cast looks like the right line will stand out like a beacon of light.

Mike

5 hours ago, Trelt said:

This all sounds great and I looked at the SA Titan Long line, it says it's 2 lines overweight but I assume it's just because of that fat front end. this doesn't make that rod feel mushy does it? I trust that since you use that rod setup, that it feels fine to you. Obviously I'd in theory want to find a line that works for myself but if I went with one similar to that I'd probably do the SA Bass Bug line.. looks like the same exact taper but for warmer water.

yeah,a bass line would be more than fine,most have a longer belly and heavy tip that will work for what you're wanting done