ODM/EVOLUTION

Rate this topic

mrh22

1 min ago, mrh22 said:

I fish the beaches exclusively -- thro lures in the 1 to 3 range -- never bigger -- i will be pairing the rod to vs200 

The 10’ is perfect for that. Although I will say it’s not the best pencil popping rod.

i built an 11 and cut it down to 10’6. It was pretty sweet but it turns out it was a bit heavier and long for my liking

I have the 10 footer. Rating says 3/4-5-- Realistically I would call it 3/4-3 with a sweet spot around 1-2.5 ounces. It's a nice rod, doesn't do anything that my GSBs can't do. I find I have to make a conscious effort not to overload the rod when I cast.

Open beach it has done well, subdued bass into the low 40 pound range on it this fall. Wouldn't take it anywhere there is a current, and honestly not a good rod when you have to punch a lure into a stiff headwind. 

6 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I have the 10 and 11

Performs like any other premium rod in the 300$ ish dollar ballpark.

Nice actions...the 10 footer is over rated at 5 ounces.

Very underwhelmed 

100% agree.   Do a search. There’s lots of threads.  

6 hours ago, MEF said:

I have the 10 footer. Rating says 3/4-5-- Realistically I would call it 3/4-3 with a sweet spot around 1-2.5 ounces. It's a nice rod, doesn't do anything that my GSBs can't do. I find I have to make a conscious effort not to overload the rod when I cast.

Open beach it has done well, subdued bass into the low 40 pound range on it this fall. Wouldn't take it anywhere there is a current, and honestly not a good rod when you have to punch a lure into a stiff headwind. 

Meh.  Told ya. 

Genesis is a moderate action rod, It's not designed to "punch" a lure into the wind. That's what a fast action rod is for. These days you need a moderate rod ans a faster action rod to cover the full range of lure weights, shapes and sizes.

Moderate action: Use a lob-style casting motion to utilize the extra bend engineered into the blank. Helps launch clumsy loads such as eels or metal lips better than a faster action rod.  Not designed for strong current, boulder fields, or anyplace where you need to manipulate fish through obstacles. 

Fast action: Stiffer blank, 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock snap style casting. Throws metals, bullet shaped jigs etc with authority. More sensitive than a moderate rod. Jigs work best with a fast action rod.

Aside from the flexible Genesis, ODM is best known for their faster action rods like the DNA. Not many companies make a good moderate rod. Century stealth comes to mind and is a really nice piece of gear. Bucking trends, I personally prefer the ODM Genesis action to the Century Stealth. 

This is my experience that I had I started with century rod I have almost all of them from 7' to 12' but the rod in my expectation was very rigid my buddy they told me to try the evolution 11' 1/6oz and now it is the one I always use to cast from ½jig up to 3.5 oz of a plug I do not recommend using any of these rods on jettys.

For jetty I used century surf machine 1pc 10'

On 12/7/2023 at 5:03 AM, petespeak said:

Genesis is a moderate action rod, It's not designed to "punch" a lure into the wind. That's what a fast action rod is for. These days you need a moderate rod ans a faster action rod to cover the full range of lure weights, shapes and sizes.

Moderate action: Use a lob-style casting motion to utilize the extra bend engineered into the blank. Helps launch clumsy loads such as eels or metal lips better than a faster action rod.  Not designed for strong current, boulder fields, or anyplace where you need to manipulate fish through obstacles. 

Fast action: Stiffer blank, 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock snap style casting. Throws metals, bullet shaped jigs etc with authority. More sensitive than a moderate rod. Jigs work best with a fast action rod.

Aside from the flexible Genesis, ODM is best known for their faster action rods like the DNA. Not many companies make a good moderate rod. Century stealth comes to mind and is a really nice piece of gear. Bucking trends, I personally prefer the ODM Genesis action to the Century Stealth. 

A beach is a place where a man can feel, he's the only soul in the world thats real ; A jetty is a place where a man feels, he must have a bucket full of eels.

Just now, lureman said:

new rod company out , JS-USA, , Kil Song, just started, we have FULL MODERATE, surf rods,  10,11 ft., called the SURFSTER....

A beach is a place where a man can feel, he's the only soul in the world thats real ; A jetty is a place where a man feels, he must have a bucket full of eels.