Fly-Fishing for Shad in New England

Rate this topic

Eric Roach

Hello all,

I will be giving a free seminar on fly-fishing for shad at Eldredge Bros. Fly Shop in York, ME on Saturday, 1/6/24 @ 1:00 pm. If you are interested in attending, please call the shop at (207) 363-9269 to reserve a seat.

————————————

FREE FISHING SEMINAR

Eric Roach ~ SHAD FISHING IN NEW ENGLAND

Join us in the shop's upstairs classroom for a free presentation on fly-fishing for American shad -- a beautiful, hard-fighting, anadromous species that spawns in over 60 rivers throughout New England. The presenter is Eric Roach, who has over 25 years of shad fishing experience. Eric will cover:
• Where to find shad in New England
• Presenting flies to shad
• Gear selection (single-hand and two-hand)
• Shad behavior
• Proper shad handling
• Fly choice

Please join Eric for what will be an informative shad presentation and Q&A session.

Date: Saturday, January 6th, 2024
Time: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Cost: FREE

IMG_4933.jpeg

5 hours ago, Eric Roach said:

Hello all,

I will be giving a free seminar on fly-fishing for shad at Eldredge Bros. Fly Shop in York, ME on Saturday, 1/6/24 @ 1:00 pm. If you are interested in attending, please call the shop at (207) 363-9269 to reserve a seat.

————————————

FREE FISHING SEMINAR

Eric Roach ~ SHAD FISHING IN NEW ENGLAND

Join us in the shop's upstairs classroom for a free presentation on fly-fishing for American shad -- a beautiful, hard-fighting, anadromous species that spawns in over 60 rivers throughout New England. The presenter is Eric Roach, who has over 25 years of shad fishing experience. Eric will cover:
• Where to find shad in New England
• Presenting flies to shad
• Gear selection (single-hand and two-hand)
• Shad behavior
• Proper shad handling
• Fly choice

Please join Eric for what will be an informative shad presentation and Q&A session.

Date: Saturday, January 6th, 2024
Time: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Cost: FREE

IMG_4933.jpeg

You managed to make shad look gorgeous, well done!  April the month for Shad around here?

16 hours ago, Scott Charlton said:

You managed to make shad look gorgeous, well done!  April the month for Shad around here?

I've found that shad can show up multiple times over the season.  I think they're most abundant between May and July, but every time I DON'T bring light gear on the kayak when I go out for stipers, I see them jumping around everywhere.  :)

Still catching them in RI when striper fishing. Fun fish on lighter weight fly rods.

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

1 hour ago, Scott Charlton said:

Do you eat their roe?  I'm told it's quite good.

Shad meat, and the roe, two things that Foodies go GaGa over, are probably the biggest culinary let downs I've ever had.  After years and years of reading fine dining articles espousing the ethereal delights of these I finally got a chance to try them in a high-end fish restaurant in Philly.

Well shad is a herring, and it tastes like cooked herring, which means neither one is high on my very long list of "Best Fish to Eat".  As far as the roe, for years when I lived on LI, I'd often dine on Weakfish roe which is nice, but nowhere near the Culinary Ecstasy I experience with dishes like Foie Gras.  Guess what Shad Roe tastes like?  Yup, just like Weakfish...

To sum thing up, when I finally got to taste both of these Shad dishes, I was extremely disappointed and let down, all because of the years of hype I'd been subjected to...

Edited by Roccus7

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

3 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Shad meat, and the roe, two things that Foodies go GaGa over, are probably the biggest culinary let downs I've ever had.  After years and years of reading fine dining articles espousing the ethereal delights of these I finally got a chance to try them in a high-end fish restaurant in Philly.

Well shad is a herring, and it tastes like cooked herring, which means neither one is high on my very long list of "Best Fish to Eat".  As far as the roe, for years when I lived on LI, I'd often dine on Weakfish roe which is nice, but nowhere near the Culinary Ecstasy I experience with dishes like Foie Gras.  Guess what Shad Roe tastes like?  Yup, just like Weakfish...

To sum thing up, when I finally got to taste both of these Shad dishes, I was extremely disappointed and let down, all because of the years of hype I'd been subjected to...

Bet they'd smoke real nice...

Spent many hours behind Spiros in Lawrence chasing those, a blast on a 5-6 weight. Hickories seem to be everywhere you go nowadays, even the smaller waters. Haven't found any Americans in Maine from shore yet though. I've heard rumors around town but haven't tried it out yet.

Edited by stormy monday

14 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

...Now I want to try Foie Gras!  Don't tell my animal rights daughter though :-)

7 mins ago, Scott Charlton said:

...Now I want to try Foie Gras!  Don't tell my animal rights daughter though :-)

Don't forget to have a glass of Sauternes with it, the proper accompaniment!!  Never had any in Foodie Central, Portland, ME, but adore it at Primo in Rockland, which is closer to me...

Are you hounded for your piscatorial endeavors???

daddykills.png.4f6b5686aed0c2251f65bf58d0742061.png

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar