Squid are taking over the ocean

Rate this topic

codfish

Squid fascinate me.  One of my regrets as an angler was missing my opportunity to target humboldts the couple years I lived on the west coast. From what I recall 60 pounders were common.

Here in the northeast it seems somewhat rare for me to come across longfin squid, but this year I actually saw squid blitzing in the daylight several days in a row. It was like watching the Fountains of Bellagio with all the water jets shooting into the air. Pretty wild and pretty much no predators on them.

39 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

I guess it was Humboldt

Yes. probably... 1/2" thick square or rectangular slab from the mantle. Slabs because the rings would be the size of a human headband.  Often scored and lighly marinated and best grilled. It is often served on the west coast and I miss it.

Not my image but illustrates the scale.0x960.webp.a58602f2590138052f7a5e509ea7eccd.webp

3 hours ago, puppet said:

Squid fascinate me.  One of my regrets as an angler was missing my opportunity to target humboldts the couple years I lived on the west coast. From what I recall 60 pounders were common.

Here in the northeast it seems somewhat rare for me to come across longfin squid, but this year I actually saw squid blitzing in the daylight several days in a row. It was like watching the Fountains of Bellagio with all the water jets shooting into the air. Pretty wild and pretty much no predators on them.

Any Idea what they were feeding on??

4 hours ago, squidder 329 said:

Long ago went to a restaurant I believe in Crescent City and ordered the squid expecting the east coast presentation. The plate came out with I guess a 1" thick whitish cut which was delicious, I guess it was Humboldt :shrug:.

I remember eating breakfast in a restaurant located on a pier in Monterrey, California, where they offered squid Benedict.  It was eggs Benedict, but with a square of Humboldt squid instead of the slab of bacon.  Very good stuff.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

The Humboldt squid in CA were blamed for eating all the groundfish (rockfish bass etc)  by many but I don’t think there was any evidence of that. Most of the party boats would fish them all night, killing everyone of em (just like our bluefish). Sometimes ending up in dumpsters, but some boats kept them for chum to use on day trips. But cutting up 100+ dead 20-40lb squid generates a lot of mess nobody wanted to deal with.

They only came inshore for the fleet to hit for few years early 2000s then totally disappeared. I doubt it was overfishing, probably our currents or forage switched, but it was crazy when they were around! They were insanely aggressive, but was exhausting jigging and reeling a 30lb squid up from 500ft deep.

They were hard to cook because the meat was so thick that it wasn’t easy for the average person to prepare well at home with your typical recipes. We always grilled it over coals or used it in ceviche.

3 hours ago, Cascade said:

WOW, never heard of them. Shades of Jules Verne.

image.jpeg.157d4579d1e6bab2779dc67c63f35c8e.jpeg

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

Used to use squid as bait in the early 2000's in long island.  Catch a blue here n there a porgy maybe.

Seems stripers like it a good bit the past 2 or 3 years. Throw everything at stripers going past where I fish in october.  Only luck I really have is with squid.  False Albacore love it too.   Cant figure out some fishermen.  Spend all day trying this n that, come back empty handed.  Sit there with squid, and they hit where I fish.  Middle of the day too.   

14 hours ago, salt deficient said:

Used to use squid as bait in the early 2000's in long island.  Catch a blue here n there a porgy maybe.

Seems stripers like it a good bit the past 2 or 3 years. Throw everything at stripers going past where I fish in october.  Only luck I really have is with squid.  False Albacore love it too.   Cant figure out some fishermen.  Spend all day trying this n that, come back empty handed.  Sit there with squid, and they hit where I fish.  Middle of the day too.   

I forget the striper book I read but it referred to stripers as "squidhounds".  Long ago fishing a party boat in Delaware bay I foul hooked a squid, never knew they were there. I can't imagine what the oceans bounty was be mechanized fisheries became prevalent .