Fish eyes in Clear coat

Rate this topic

R.R. Bridge Fisher

On 12/11/2023 at 6:53 AM, Southcoastphil said:

When some of you refer to Rusto matte clear, is that the Rusto "Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover Spray Paint" or their "Stops Rust Matte Clear Enamel"?

You want the painters touch. Haven’t had a single epoxy issue since using it

13 hours ago, BigAl59 said:

You want the painters touch. Haven’t had a single epoxy issue since using it

Good to know.  It's generally less expensive (and is on sale more frequently) than the enamel, at least near me.

Thank you.  

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

99% of the time this is a contamination problem. Oils or Silicone. Silicone can travel all over the shop and you can't see it.

Paints like Createx pearl contain Silica as a filler to reduce the amount of Titanium Dioxide.  Createx Florescent uses dyed silica beads. These two paints can be a problem and probably need clear coating before epoxy.

Some common causes of fisheyes when using Createx fluorescent or Pearl paint and System 3 clear epoxy include:
Surface Contamination: Contaminants such as uncured stain, uncured sealer, dust, dirt, wax, silicones, or the oil from fingers can cause fisheyes in the epoxy coating
Silicone Products: Polymerized siloxanes, commonly known as silicones, can cause adhesion problems and fisheyes in paint and coatings
Humidity: High humidity can cause fisheyes in resin coatings. Resin does not like water, and humidity is water in the air, so it's important to control the humidity in the working environment
To avoid fisheyes, it's essential to ensure the working environment is clean and well-ventilated, the surface is properly prepared and free from contaminants, and the humidity is controlled. Additionally, avoiding the use of silicone products can help prevent fisheye issues when using these materials.

The Video is about masking and adhesion but the explanation of what you need to know about how adhesion works is worth the time viewing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tC8CnJfH1k

Two things in life I love. Fishing, and looking at the wives pictures on the milk Carton

15 mins ago, moocks said:

99% of the time this is a contamination problem. Oils or Silicone. Silicone can travel all over the shop and you can't see it.

Paints like Createx pearl contain Silica as a filler to reduce the amount of Titanium Dioxide.  Createx Florescent uses dyed silica beads. These two paints can be a problem and probably need clear coating before epoxy.

Some common causes of fisheyes when using Createx fluorescent or Pearl paint and System 3 clear epoxy include:
Surface Contamination: Contaminants such as uncured stain, uncured sealer, dust, dirt, wax, silicones, or the oil from fingers can cause fisheyes in the epoxy coating
Silicone Products: Polymerized siloxanes, commonly known as silicones, can cause adhesion problems and fisheyes in paint and coatings
Humidity: High humidity can cause fisheyes in resin coatings. Resin does not like water, and humidity is water in the air, so it's important to control the humidity in the working environment
To avoid fisheyes, it's essential to ensure the working environment is clean and well-ventilated, the surface is properly prepared and free from contaminants, and the humidity is controlled. Additionally, avoiding the use of silicone products can help prevent fisheye issues when using these materials.

The Video is about masking and adhesion but the explanation of what you need to know about how adhesion works is worth the time viewing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tC8CnJfH1k

Yes I believe my issue was mostly contamination, my second coat was a little better  and I  have already changed my approach. 

Thank you 

20231222_111813.jpg

troll #122  <*)))<

• 2 months later...

Hi !! i did used to get same fish eyes  , but after seeing the post of Franko Suave Engineered Angler on youtube ( link of post https://youtu.be/c9cGPwiYHLw?si=vw0daize80c_iQ_M    ) my issue was resolved for ever by using MID Coat of Minwax Polycrylic  coat before top coat of Envirotex Lite 2 part epoxy. He has shared recipe for Thinning Minwax in order to shoot through airbrush in the same post.

I seal my wood with superglue , use automotive premier like rust oleum primer filler followed by mix of paints - createx , jacquard, testor, vallejo & Indian Inks, Craft Acrylic paints. Give atleast 2-3 days time for the colors to dry and then spray mid coat of minmax and let it dry for again 2-3 days before top coat of etx.  Keep the bait for 4-6 hours on drying wheel and then keep baits  in closed box for 72 hours.

Sorry i was late on replying to your post,  but if help you in case if you are still having trouble then nothing is late.

Regards, Raghubir