Fish eyes in Clear coat

Rate this topic

R.R. Bridge Fisher

I just coated a few plugs with a new w tex. OMG Every plug with createx pearl white and fluorescent green looks like moon surface. Mine you I've been clear coating lures for 20 years. What happen?? Black. Red. 

Gold. Color all smooth. First using e tex in 19 years. Change formula?? Prior to this I use Flexcoat UV hi build. 90%success.  My issue is I do large batches and because it flashes within 30 minutes, I have to mix small amounts 6-10cc total. I had e tex plugs years ago with minimal issues. 

Usually I scratch coat thev createx with flat lacquer. This time I eliminated the scratch. No touchy after painting. Warm room  warm lure warm epoxy. Clean brush.  I'll clean and recoat. I ordered Createx 4052 matte clearcoat to try as a mid coat. I'll update after. 

On 12/5/2023 at 4:12 PM, Sudsy said:

(I also wipe the haze from the first coat off with an alcohol dampened paper towel before second coating)
Everything needs time to fully cure or adhesion issues can pop up - even using materials you've used successfully dozens of times in the past.

How long do you let the 1st coat of epoxy cure before 2nd coat? (I wanna just alcohol wipe and 2nd coat)

I've been 2nd coating within 30 hours and the epoxy looks good, not great. I don't get pitting, orange peel, fisheyes, etc.....but when I hold a lure up to a light I see a little 'waviness'.

In the past, when I waited more than 48 hrs, scuffed with 120 grit, tacked, and then recoated epoxy, they generally looked great. But the sanding, tacking, handling is something I'd prefer to avoid.

8 hours ago, Livefreeordie said:

How long do you let the 1st coat of epoxy cure before 2nd coat? (I wanna just alcohol wipe and 2nd coat)

I've been 2nd coating within 30 hours and the epoxy looks good, not great. I don't get pitting, orange peel, fisheyes, etc.....but when I hold a lure up to a light I see a little 'waviness'.

In the past, when I waited more than 48 hrs, scuffed with 120 grit, tacked, and then recoated epoxy, they generally looked great. But the sanding, tacking, handling is something I'd prefer to avoid.

I spin the etex like 4 hours then second coat.. I don’t wait for first coat to cure.. it makes for a better bond between the two I think.. and less waiting for my impatient ass lol 

When some of you refer to Rusto matte clear, is that the Rusto "Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover Spray Paint" or their "Stops Rust Matte Clear Enamel"?

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

13 hours ago, Livefreeordie said:

How long do you let the 1st coat of epoxy cure before 2nd coat?

24 hours

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

15 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Same result as the createx Matt clear?

I use that for putting on glitter

Coat of that stuff, sprinkle glitter from a salt shaker

Shake off excess

Another coat of clear then epoxy

Ever hear about the time I went to a club meeting (Shark River Surf Anglers) after glittering up some plugs?

Was hot and sweaty and didn't know I had glitter stuck to my face and bald head.

The shredding was epic

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

5 mins ago, Sudsy said:

I use that for putting on glitter

Coat of that stuff, sprinkle glitter from a salt shaker

Shake off excess

Another coat of clear then epoxy

Ever hear about the time I went to a club meeting (Shark River Surf Anglers) after glittering up some plugs?

Was hot and sweaty and didn't know I had glitter stuck to my face and bald head.

The shredding was epic

:th:

troll #122  <*)))<

13 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

I spin the etex like 4 hours then second coat.. I don’t wait for first coat to cure.. it makes for a better bond between the two I think.. and less waiting for my impatient ass lol 

Pretty much all the epoxies' instruction sheets say crosslinking will occur (better bonding) if you second coat before 1st is fully cured. I know you're top coats look great.

11 mins ago, Livefreeordie said:

Pretty much all the epoxies' instruction sheets say crosslinking will occur (better bonding) if you second coat before 1st is fully cured. I know you're top coats look great.

Thank you .. I appreciate that.. yea I never read them lol but just makes sense if ya think about it . It’s a chemical bond so if the first coat still tacky they kinda turn to one coat if the temps right and first coats not to hard but not too soft.. i try and go bare minimum coat both times to cover the plug completely 

idk just what works for me . There’s a lot of ways to skin the cat here 

Edited by Wire For Fire

On 12/11/2023 at 12:01 PM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

My second coat came out ok. Not perfect but ok...

second coats usually always remedies  the first coat issues. if bad issues I will

light sand out issues and then light wipe of alcohol. 24 hours apart in my book for second coat. 

what's the secret word for tonight