Specialized deep-jigging reels

Rate this topic

BrianBM

There's a bunch on the market. Daiwa just offered (Chark) a 55 SP, a lever drag, at over $700. :shock:

This 'un is new, but there are others, from Accurate and elsewhere. Someone here must own a reel, or two. Thus, a question: do you really need a specialty reel? Does it make a useful difference, especially in the skinnier waters of Long Island's South Shore?

Tailoring rods to very specific rod weights has always struck me as great marketing that might or might not be justified by the fish. And these specialty reels .... good Lord.

why not have reels for specific uses?

you expect me to only have one shirt or one jacket for all for seasons? Lol

dont question why too much.  Just buy it. Try it. And see for yourself why there’s so many choices. Without first hand experience, you’ll never know. Reels or rods. 

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

Work hard. Play hard. 
At least I’m not burning money popping bottles at a club for 3 hours or some frivolous crap youngsters are into nowadays. 

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

And you have to understand.  A lot of reels I have.  I buy outside the US when it’s released. Usually it’s cheaper.  So I don’t pay for a USA warranty I don’t need. I could care less about reel and rod warranties. Over the years when I started not to give a hoot about it. Reels just don’t seem to break anymore. 

The money I save upfront goes towards buying parts later or other toys. 

Edited by EricL

And to answer the original question.  It works great for NY waters.  I know the reel has all the power for anything I can hook up too. Even a random magical tuna.  Something you can’t do with a tiny reel. 

De gustibus non disputandem.  I like a peaceful home environment, and the money I don't spend on hardware will buy me additional time on the water.

The bulk of my angling is done from the shore or in water less than 100' deep. I can experiment endlessly with the motion of jig by experimenting with the handling of my rod and reel.

1 min ago, EricL said:

And to answer the original question.  It works great for NY waters.  I know the reel has all the power for anything I can hook up too. Even a random magical tuna.  Something you can’t do with a tiny reel. 

I am yearning for a tuna on my Saltiga 35H, Cal Sheets- reworked International II 20, Penn Senator 4/0 MTL, or Newell 540. Maybe next year.

1 min ago, BrianBM said:

I am yearning for a tuna on my Saltiga 35H, Cal Sheets- reworked International II 20, Penn Senator 4/0 MTL, or Newell 540. Maybe next year.

don’t yearn.  Just go do it. 

Sell the last 3.  Get a single VISX or Makaira to replace them all of them. if you never try to newer reels.  Just words won’t to describe how much better they are than old reels. 

If your 35H is just for general jigging and bottom work. I’d sell the 35H too and get the jdm only 35N, operating it is better due to a different frame. Or at least upgrade it to a LD35H if you like the same width. Does the same stuff, but will be able to easily light troll too over the star drag. 

I have the smallest Avet and I love it. I don't fish deep, no more than 40' for Tog and Sheepies. It's relatively new, but I love the damn thing. Wish I'd have hooked the 20" Tog I lost Friday on it, I'd have winched his ass out of the rocks and brought him to the boat like a whole lotta catfish. Made in America is an added benefit, but I'm a Daiwa guy and had there have been one in that size available, I might have bought it.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."
Jacques Cousteau

The conventionals made for jigging (shimano ocea jigger, accurate narrow models, etc) tend to have a narrower/smaller profile which makes palming the reel and winding the line way easier. I use my accurate 600NN for pretty much all my slow pitch jigging, and on my bass flutter spoon rod. Its loaded with some absurd amount of 20# yozuri super braid. When you're reeling up a jig through several hundred feet of line, especially with a fat tilefish on the other end, you really appreciate the smaller profile of these specific jigging reels. 

Honestly even if its just a bass on a spoon i prefer the reel that i can easily grab in one hand over something big and clunky. I still use my Newell for baitfishing because that reel is fun as hell, but its not quite as comfortable.

11 hours ago, BrianBM said:

The bulk of my angling is done from the shore or in water less than 100' deep

Definitely look at avet.  It is a west coast usa made brand, but a workhorse and heavily used on the west coast for the water depths you note. They come in one and two speeds. I own a couple...one is a sx the other is an mxl 6/4 two speed. mine are from a couple decades ago before they had magged versions. i have used mine from the boat and kayak. Great reels and not crazy expensive.

To add.  I used mine on 30# albacore and those reels handled them without a problem. When I was on the west coast I also caught a 7' toy thresher and a couple black sea bass to 65#. Most of the reels in this space probably are overkill for what you may encounter. I would not spend 700 dollars unless I were targeting fish over 70 lbs.

Mechanically, avets are pretty simple inside, alan tani at **** does a breakdown of an avet sx.

Edited by puppet

4 hours ago, puppet said:

Definitely look at avet.  It is a west coast usa made brand, but a workhorse and heavily used on the west coast for the water depths you note. They come in one and two speeds. I own a couple...one is a sx the other is an mxl 6/4 two speed. mine are from a couple decades ago before they had magged versions. i have used mine from the boat and kayak. Great reels and not crazy expensive.

To add.  I used mine on 30# albacore and those reels handled them without a problem. When I was on the west coast I also caught a 7' toy thresher and a couple black sea bass to 65#. Most of the reels in this space probably are overkill for what you may encounter. I would not spend 700 dollars unless I were targeting fish over 70 lbs.

Mechanically, avets are pretty simple inside, alan tani at **** does a breakdown of an avet sx.

Add a plus one to this- I use them for tuna on the west coast, a solid piece of kit. The two speed is a great option when they go deep. I have landed BFT to 40 lbs on the small SX series with no issues, after 10+ years still running strong.    And read Alans' writeup on teardown and cleaning, it is worth the time.