VR Reel Foot Size

Rate this topic

Fishtale7

Bought two VR 50's & one 75 for inshore and beach fishing on 7' & 7'/6" rods. Was planning on using them in SW Florida for the usual suspects of red's, snook & small grouper. However, the reel feet do not fit in any of the reel seats. Can get the front foot in about 1 millimeter and the rear foot in about 3 millimeters. Rods are Shimano Terranova's & St Croix Triumph & Premier. What the hell was VS thinking when they made these tiny reels? The reel foot is almost the same size as my 200 & 250 reels (maybe bigger). After a few beers, I was thinking of grinding the corner tips of the feet width down on the sanding wheel, but that little sober guy on my shoulder told me not to, lol. Seriously, WTF were they thinking when they designed these reels? Secondly, other than the Diawa Saltist 2500 (non new style MQ), what is another option for the same durability of the VR 50? Please keep in mind, I like the "stiffness" feel of the VR's. I am not a fan of a spinning reel that has perpetual motion when spun freely. 

Edited by Fishtale7

- Life is a waiting room, I hope they don't call me soon...... 

- Thomas Jefferson - "The course of history shows that as government grows, liberty decreases"

Our flag doesn’t fly because the wind that moves it. It flies with the breath of every fallen solider who protected it.

You might want to look at the new SaltX2 line of reels, SS gears like the VR-VS reels there sealed. they won't brake the bank, l don't about the reel foot size.

Edited by LB

45 mins ago, LB said:

You might want to look at the new SaltX2 line of reels, SS gears like the VR-VS reels there sealed. they won't brake the bank, l don't about the reel foot size.

THIS, may be the answer. Wish it came in a 2000 or 2500 size. Thanks for the heads up!!!! Although, no where for sale yet. 

- Thomas Jefferson - "The course of history shows that as government grows, liberty decreases"

Our flag doesn’t fly because the wind that moves it. It flies with the breath of every fallen solider who protected it.

43 mins ago, chisler said:

I've got a VR 75 on a St Croix PS70HF-2 and it fits fine.  

No it doesn't. What you think is "just fine" is not. Just because it "fits", is not really "fitting". The reel foot is supposed to counter pressure on the blank. The way it fits, the foot is counter pressuring on the nylon reel seat hoods. Not optimal or desirable.

4 hours ago, Fishtale7 said:

Bought two VR 50's & one 75 for inshore and beach fishing on 7' & 7'/6" rods. Was planning on using them in SW Florida for the usual suspects of red's, snook & small grouper. However, the reel feet do not fit in any of the reel seats. Can get the front foot in about 1 millimeter and the rear foot in about 3 millimeters. Rods are Shimano Terranova's & St Croix Triumph & Premier. What the hell was VS thinking when they made these tiny reels? The reel foot is almost the same size as my 200 & 250 reels (maybe bigger). After a few beers, I was thinking of grinding the corner tips of the feet width down on the sanding wheel, but that little sober guy on my shoulder told me not to, lol. Seriously, WTF were they thinking when they designed these reels? Secondly, other than the Diawa Saltist 2500 (non new style MQ), what is another option for the same durability of the VR 50? Please keep in mind, I like the "stiffness" feel of the VR's. I am not a fan of a spinning reel that has perpetual motion when spun freely. 

I would never grind the reel foot. However….

You could grind (sanding wheel) off the hoods of the reel seats. Tape the reels on from there. Saves the money and arrangement of new reels with new line, etc. 

———-

The Shimano Nasci, Miravel, and the Spheros SW (2019 version in sizes 4k & under) all have the better AR seal that’s closer to the Saragosa style seal than the limited effectiveness one on the majority of Shimanos in that size range. (That includes the non-SW Stella & TP etc.)

They wouldn’t be as sealed as a VR & especially a VS. However, I have dunked & abused a bunch of that style sealed Shimanos without ever getting water into the AR.

(Avoid the plastic Nasci if you were going metal frames. Miravel has CI4+ rigid & light carbon fiber. Spheros SW 2019 supposed to be Aluminum. No rubber gasket body seal on those either. But I have found the body screwed tight with a thin layer of marine grease works about perfectly in those situations where there are no moving parts.)

Good luck.