Harkers Island 2023 wrap up

Rate this topic

bhorsley

• 2 weeks later...

12/16/23

water was 57 degrees today.  No fish showing on top but out in 58' of water we marked plenty.  Sink tip lines worked well--450 grain sink tip with pink 1/2 and 1/2 flies.  What worked best was I would hook one on a jig and all of his buddies would follow it up.  We had several double headers.  Back to the dock by lunch time--perfect 

HZ8_9592.jpg

HZ8_9639-Enhanced-NR.jpg

HZ8_9649.jpg

HZ8_9664.jpg

HZ8_9687.jpg

Brian Horsley

On 12/8/2023 at 10:22 AM, bhorsley said:

thanks.  I get lucky sometimes with the camera 

You seem to get lucky all the time with that camera.  Awesome shots.  Concur, Albie season was a disappointment for me this year.  One good day inside Beaufort Inlet with fish busting all over the place.  Every other time was either terrible weather or no fish.  

23 hours ago, bmac said:

You seem to get lucky all the time with that camera.  Awesome shots.  Concur, Albie season was a disappointment for me this year.  One good day inside Beaufort Inlet with fish busting all over the place.  Every other time was either terrible weather or no fish. 

the bulk of all my Albie photos were taken on one day 11/13. I did not have a charter that day.  After getting a phone call I left with dock with my camera.  This was all under the beach off of Shack.  Think I shot almost 3000 images and had 100 keepers.  

they were so thick even I caught one of fly--made one cast and caught one and stopped--ended my season at 100% --one cast one fish on fly 

HZ8_8019.jpg.ce344e00ec22ce01a7af2b0603e711ec.jpgHZ8_7902-Edit.jpg.cda3be8a4a6e5195e924661673e5c711.jpgHZ8_7785-Edit.jpg.ead6e7e7c63ec8f87ca3f0f5307593f4.jpgHZ8_7113-Edit.jpg.064ffe226e3691a1bebfc0e7ff23ce2e.jpg

Brian Horsley

1 hour ago, BWalsh said:

Great pics as always Brian.  Your October sounds like the last 5 years for me!  Hope to see some winter pics of your travels

thanks.  Sticking close to home this winter --will be going to NJ Fly Show and hanging with Wes at the Seigler Booth.   Also Sage and RIO are back at the show so will be there at times.  

The only out of country travel we have planned this year is to Argentina with SET Fly Fishing.  6 of us are going to fish for golden dorado. 

We are spending the winter on Harkers so on the rare calm days we can fish for sea bass, snappers and other critters.  Hopefully the old drum will show up --they have been MIA most of late November and December 

Brian Horsley