Beaver

Rate this topic

pogie_boy

To my knowledge, I've never found or heard of beavers in Southeastern Mass ... not in my lifetime.   I've seen them up in a pond in westboro.

A few weeks ago I noticed that the water in the swamp we've been hunting around was pretty high and running way over a causeway that crosses it....   One night I tried walking through it while blood trailing a deer and I thought it was awfully deep and muddy!   Today I was walking nearby and found fresh beaver damage on half the trees!   I walked around over to the causeway and sure enough, the stone wall on one side is reinforced with sticks and mud and there's a dam right in the middle of the path about a foot high holding back a foot of water though it's still running pretty good.

I'll post some pictures when I get them off my phone.

But I'm super curious how the heck they would have made their way into this essentially isolated swamp miles from where they may have likely come from?

Are people out there dumping beavers or intentionally reintroducing them?

DITCH TROLL

Beavers in Massachusetts

Beavers are common and abundant throughout most of Massachusetts. They are becoming increasingly common in southeastern Massachusetts, but are still absent from Cape Cod and the islands. Since European settlement, more than half of the wetlands in the lower 48 states have been lost. By damming streams and forming shallow ponds, beavers create wetlands. These wetlands provide habitat for a tremendous diversity of plants, invertebrates, and wildlife. People benefit too. Wetlands control downstream flooding by storing and slowly releasing floodwater. They also improve water quality by removing or transforming excess nutrients, trapping silt, binding and removing toxic chemicals, and filtering out sediment.

source:  https://www.mass.gov/info-details/learn-about-beavers

" I did my worst, but I did it well "

The beaver population in central Ma continues to explode.  Places I fished native brookies, and hunted woodcock with my dogs for decades are all standing swamps.

They expand their range by following water sources down stream. There's beavers in Worc now.  Trust me, no one is relocating them.  I've been told their now making their way down the Blackstone River.

The Sultan of Sluggo

I opened a hatch on a valve pit a work and found a beaver inside making a nest on the concrete. 

A metal grate had washed out on our outfall pipe and he swam up the pipe and found a perfect spot in the valve pit.

On a related note, I put my trail cam down there but he never came back. I don't know if it was the shock of me opening the hatch or the camera but he abandoned his nest.

They're basically everywhere they can swim and find the right trees.

They must not do well in the canal but it's only a matter of time before one makes it across. Ok, two. Unless the first one was preggo.

I've eaten beaver burgers.  I'd do it again.   Call the Mass Trappers Assoc. if you need to get rid of those critters.  The population exploded (200,000 to 1Mil) when the 1996 initiative petition to ban leghold and body-gripping traps was approved.  

Beavers.  Good money in fur and castor, and not a bad burger to boot. 

Edited by Captain Tuttle

2 hours ago, Captain Tuttle said:

You would do well to get 20/25$ for both, most likely less. Not worth the gas money probably, making a profit would be out of the question.

Cant comment on the burger. :)

Edited by Plug and teaser

2 hours ago, Captain Tuttle said:

I've eaten beaver burgers.  I'd do it again.   Call the Mass Trappers Assoc. if you need to get rid of those critters.  The population exploded (200,000 to 1Mil) when the 1996 initiative petition to ban leghold and body-gripping traps was approved.  

Where did you have the burger, Canada?

The Sultan of Sluggo