Squid fishing

Rate this topic

Popasilov

Is anybody doing it this year?

My favorite local spot didn't produce single squid this year.

They were here earlier last month but beginning 2nd half  in November they just disappeared.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

8 hours ago, Callmefish said:

I usually target squid in the spring, are the long fins around in the late fall months ?@Popasilov

My understanding is they come to mate and lay eggs on the posts and around pier structure in winter months.

I know they are very aggressive before the mating and will attack any lure in November and December. During the mating they do not feed or they do not care for any food. I used to snag them  around and after  Christmas time.

Last January was a very good month for snagging. 

I never try fishing for them in the spring.

Did you do any squid fishing in WA?

I remember you saying you were inland with occasional trip to the sea.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

1 hour ago, Popasilov said:

My understanding is they come to mate and lay eggs on the posts and around pier structure in winter months.

I know they are very aggressive before the mating and will attack any lure in November and December. During the mating they do not feed or they do not care for any food. I used to snag them  around and after  Christmas time.

Last January was a very good month for snagging. 

I never try fishing for them in the spring.

Did you do any squid fishing in WA?

I remember you saying you were inland with occasional trip to the sea.

1 hour ago, Popasilov said:

Washington has a good pier squidding season starting around October I did it alot all around puget sound The trick was finding a pier low enough to the water so your lights would penetrate. 

I’m located in central Jersey. Squidding in the local estuary was lackluster in November but they seemed to do well in late October, although I missed it. From what I understand the run only lasts a couple weeks.

My first few tries I struck out while others got a slow pick. A few outings later I figured out the technique but most squid had vanished and while I was able to get a couple, it seems they are completely gone.

Last year we were catching them almost till' Christmas time.

This year, I couldn't do any squid fishing, until the end of November. Took too many side jobs and no time for fishing.

Looks like they are gone. They may return but you need to be lucky to see them and you will need to use snag jig instead of regular jig.

- Henry Ford-

When I was a kid my Dad and I  used to try to catch squid at Navy Pier in Montauk. Bought a high lumen spotlight, a bunch of different jigs, etc. Raised dozens of squid but never got a single one to snag a rig. We probably did 4-5 different outings before giving up. Haven’t tried since!

Edited by espo@mtkpnt