NatGeo supersonic flight piece

Rate this topic

BrianBM

NatGeo channel just had a lovely 90 minutes on the early attempts at a supersonic liner, covering the Concorde, the TU 144, and the Concorde. A lovely, elegiac show on the early SSTs ...

I really do hope that Boom Supersonic and the other current contenders manage to make an SST happen within my life.

Beautiful, beautiful airplanes.

Lots of interesting stuff on Soviet espionage, and so on.

7 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

The XB-70 Valkyrie the forgotten American Supersonic Bomber. Saw it at Wright Patterson Air Force Museum. Coolest looking plane ever. Needed a cherry picker to get into cockpit. 

Supersonic Bomber Moved For The First Time In Decades

Vintage supersonic XB-70 bomber arrives to anchor new Air Force Museum wing  in Dayton - cleveland.com

An Up-Close Look at America's Forgotten Supersonic Bomber - CNET

Truly remarkable aircraft.

Only slightly slower than the SR-71.

1 min ago, Gotcow? said:

Truly remarkable aircraft.

Only slightly slower than the SR-71.

Does it leak fluids while at a standstill like the SR-71?

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

21 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

The XB-70 Valkyrie the forgotten American Supersonic Bomber. Saw it at Wright Patterson Air Force Museum. Coolest looking plane ever. Needed a cherry picker to get into cockpit. 

Supersonic Bomber Moved For The First Time In Decades

First thing that comes to mind is a gannet in a full dive....beautiful plane :) 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

I doubt the crew noticed at the time.

One Valkyrie was lost in a catastropic mid-air collision with a chase plane. The second is a museum exhibit.

There may a third. Aviation Week had a column, years ago, with an airborne XB-70 taking off with a spaceplane carried underneath. One of aviation's royalty had been tipped off to bring a camera on a very early a.m. visit to a particular airfield, and he snapped it. The article suggested that in the wake of the loss of the Challenger, a third XB-70 had been assembled from spare parts to continue research and provide the capacity for lift that had been lost. I have seen nothing since.

Bucket list item: I really, really want to visit the AF museum in Dayton. Ah, the romance of flight.