Shimano Friction Grease RD10151

Rate this topic

Busanga

Anybody used this grease before. It is recommended by shimano service to seal the body on Stella SW reels to help sealing... the blurb for the grease says to use on the SW drag BUT  shimano also has this grease SHIMANO DRAG GREASE DG12 (DG-1) which says is for SW drag specifically ...as well

Which grease is which? I have the DG12(DG1) for the drag. Do I need get the shimano friction grease to seal body or is it same grease as the DG12... 

image.png.c2a830e6635e368f9191d5d350636450.png

image.png.64c572d16a5d5198edb8298da2bddf38.png

DG12 DG-1 grease is exactly what you said it is. For SW drag washers. Or carbon washers in general. It is very very thin.

Friction ring grease - no parts like that in the reel.  But if it is good consistency for sealing body why not, it may take you next 1000 years to use it up though for sealing the body. 

36 mins ago, Jig It said:

DG12 DG-1 grease is exactly what you said it is. For SW drag washers. Or carbon washers in general. It is very very thin.

Friction ring grease - no parts like that in the reel.  But if it is good consistency for sealing body why not, it may take you next 1000 years to use it up though for sealing the body. 

Yes that is why I was asking as shimano sells that friction ring grease as sw drag washer grease as well and also say is very thin as well..  wondering what difference is..

Is also 2x price of the DG12..  strange. 

I would most probably use my di electric grease anyway to seal rubber 'O' ring body seal as is designed to keep salt and moisture of rubber connectors / spark plug boots etc . Will be more than good enough for my reel. And like you say. Only need a pin head of it at a time.

1 hour ago, Wire For Fire said:

Fritction ring is that rubber between the body and the rotor .. it keeps the rotor in place on the cast .. I’m not sure the Stella has one but I know the older stradics did 

Yes I know and ironically the shimano blurb for Friction Ring Grease does not mention is for the Friction ring they say use shimano permalube on the Friction ring.. and use the Friction ring grease on the drag and fir sealing the body... go figure

And yes the Stella 14k and 18k do have a Friction ring.. 

I think Shimano has done so many greases that even they are confused now...   :)

Edited by Busanga

1 hour ago, recoil said:

All of these proprietary lubes and greases are nonsense!  Total waste of $$$$$$$

What has worked in the past will work now.

Agreed. Though I already have them so might as well use the manufacturers recommend grease. Otherwise yes.. there are much better greases out there designed for much tougher loads etc than our reels.

Go to website Bob's the oil guy...  oil and grease to keep a pig happy for years :)