NJ stripe bass fall run one of the best in years

Rate this topic

codfish

Majority of NJ stripers are caught in places I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot surf pole: Ignorant people pollution matches the nasty water. Realize NJ fishing falls off dramatically the further south you travel from the Raritan Bay cess pool. Places of natural beauty are few and far between and hold no fish. I know because I left there 40 years ago because NJ was too funky to fish. I visit occasionally and still fish in the nice places like IBSP but they are not very productive, even today. To catch fish in NJ you need to fish in dirty water. No thanks. IF I CAN'T SEE MY FEET I'M NOT FISHING.

Edited by petespeak

Not sure what Petespeak is smoking, but here is the truth.  First off the ocean water is as clean now as I have ever seen it.  I have lived here for 64 years now.  Beach replenishment has certainly killed the beautiful structure we used to enjoy, but there are still good spots to be had. The beaches are fishing well at times, but no where near epic stage and certainly not nearly as good as years ago.  What you had last year, which was much better then this year, are isolated days of really good fishing, followed by long lulls.  If you happen to be in the right place, at the right time, you think you died and are in heaven. In the really "good old days", the epic fishing would last for weeks or until the next front shut things down.  Once the water would clear up, it would start right back up.  We also had huge schools of monster bluefish in the surf, which we don't see anymore in the Fall.

Edited by 27conch
content

27conch is correct- Jersey ocean is as clean as I have seen it in 55 plus years of living on the shore or previously visiting the shore- I spent weeks in June sight casting to stripers in Monmouth county as the water was that clear.  This fall has had its "epic" days where I, who use a fly rod, had bass on peanuts close enough to enjoy the show but nowhere as good as last year when it was a solid 6 weeks of epic days. I can't ever imagine that type of year again as I never had one that good before.  If you work hard for your fish and don't just wait for the "phone call" you can most days find some fish, big epic day, well not so much but still 6 to 8 fish tide cycle days. Also there have been no blue fish and I personally only saw 1 day in September where albies/bonito were around while I was fluke fishing. Personally in reviewing my fishing logs, id give this fall a C at best. Spring fishing was a B. Season has a few more weeks unless some crazy storms come but fish will be smaller but we shall see how it actually plays out. 

I'm an OG Jersey Shore scruffian: grew up on the water with a fishing pole in my hands. I know NJ. Clean? C'mon. 

You said what I said about the fishing in NJ: lots of tackle shop hype, fishing spotty, not nearly as good as it used to be. A good run today is lame comparitively speaking. And that being said, I have had epic days in NJ but not lately. Caught way more quality fish per outing in Maine. Maybe Jersey gets a couple weeks of consistent fishing, but most days are skunky: and consistent fishing does not equal epic. Epic is relative anyway. I catch 200

And by the way, I'm smoking the good stuff bro, but I do know the difference between polluted water and clean water. Just because you dont have needles and raw sewage floating around your ankles anymore doesn't mean you have clean water in NJ.

I grew up in Forked River. I spent my first thirty five years living on the shore of Barnegat Bay, fishing, crabbing, clamming, all within sight of my front porch. I have a damn good idea about NJ water pollution, better than most, better than you. Watched it turn into a sewer...all the fish disappeared.

Put it this way: Jersey bay water runs in my veins. The salt marsh was my church and the Barnegat Bay was my front yard and playground. Heart and soul 

I fished IBSP since 1961 and the place is not the same in fishing productivity or cleanliness. It might be better than a super fund sight, but what you have today in NJ, and the majority of the East Coast is toilet bowl fishing. How do I know? I've been there and done that.

But this is just my opinion having waded in the Jersey sewage for a lifetime...we have different standards and experience is all. If you want to know what clean ocean water looks like come up to Maine: you can see the bottom everywhere you go. But it's not perfect here either: a couple centuries of old school industry killed the rivers and the bottoms are lined with toxins

But back to the joke that NJ is clean...haha...whatever you say bud...you ever fish Sandy Hook? Rule of thumb: never fish in water that has **** in it. And even worse is the human pollution: the ratio of thieves, litterbugs, poachers and your run-of-the-mill, bottle-breaking, foul-mouthed drunken louts far surpasses the national average.

Not an opinion, just a report from m y experiences: stating my unfiltered opinion about the state of NJ surf fishing would get me banned from the group.

Edited by petespeak

On 12/2/2023 at 7:38 AM, mikez2 said:

Watched some you tubes last night. Looked like a great way to meet new friends. 

I think it was the windmills done it.

Go catch some stocked trout.  You clearly don't have a dog in this fight being so far away from every going near these windmills.  It doesnt affect you.  They should litter them in the CHU and stop letting people fish it.  Place is an absolute dump already

The two guys who seem to have posted real responses, reflect with the fishing is everywhere. in Cape Cod had some good action, but a lot more days of not catching than there used to be. It’s really a shame that the new regulations they’re gonna do are gonna be too little too late

Well- I have only been to Maine a few times in my life and not for the purpose of striper fishing. I can't say that I thought the water was any clearer in York Beach or Bar Harbor West Quoody Light House area but again I was not fishing just enjoying camping with my wife. A 200 fish day is a epic day and no I have never had such a day. I doubt I could actually cast a fly rod 200 times, catch and release fish without blowing out my elbow. I know nothing about Maine striper fishing but a 200 fish day does make me jealous, Id settle for a 100 then a beer hamburger or lobster roll. 

I have fished Sandy Hook, know it like the back of my hand and yes is the bay side clear? No is the answer. I don't see how it could be with the Raritan river red mud/silt that flows into the bay when ever it rains. Never mind the Hudson/Passaic and Hackensack rivers mud flow discharge. Is the bay soil completely polluted from 100 plus years of heavy industry discharge of lead/copper/zinc and who knows what other heavy metals, yes absolutely. I do not claim it to be "clean" in zero pollution. I am sure Maine has far less pollution and far less human pollution  but Jersey has 8 plus million citizens plus a city that is within eye sight that has another 8 million, never mind individuals who come from Pennsylvania and Upstate.  With all these people you are correct that more then a handful are  thieves, litterbugs, poachers and your run-of-the-mill, bottle-breaking, foul-mouthed drunken louts  etc but surprisingly the vast majority just want to fish and generally respect each other. I fly fish, I do need just a bit more room then the spin guys but I have never been told off by a spin guy I am given my little extra space. When things get way to crazy I just move away from the insanity and wait. The fish will eventually move my way. I respect you grew up in Forked River and grew up on Barnegat Bay. My family has had a house on LBI since the early 1980s and I have fished, duck hunted, clam, blue claws crabbed and surfed LBI/BB for all those years and still do. I never thought striper fishing LBI was as good as Monmouth County but that is again just my thought on the matter. Fishing was better off the sedge banks and cutthroughs on Great Bay. 

My post was a response to  Codfish posting "NJ stripe bass fall run one of the best in years". 

While the fishing has been good at times I do not think it is one of the best in years. Not a terrible year, not anywhere near as good as last year, but more of a average fall. Possibly people with boats did better but off the beach its been average. Its my opinion, others may have had a far better year and I know friends who have the time to fish from Holgate to Sandy Hook have done better so they may feel its been a very good year but from where I fish its been average. 

Last fall was much better, by boat, kayak and surf.  I'd say this fall has been average with a few epic days. Too bad the South NJ inshore waters are too shallow and devoid of bait so it gets bypassed frequently. 

The water quality ocean side has been excellent these past few years. Good color and I could see my feet pretty well five feet deep. The bays and rivers tend to be dirtier because of muddy bottom.   Just a tremendous amount of bait: bunker, peanuts, sandeels and rainfish. Sightings of whales, porpoises, bluefins and even seals are becoming more common. 

There's really no need to travel north with the world class fishery in my backyard. :wee: