Geary spinning reel

Rate this topic

Busanga

If a spinning reel gets geary what does it mean.

And what is causing the geary feeling or sound.. (and don't say the gears :) )

what is actually going on .

for eg. I have a brand new Stella sw 14k xg and a brand new Stella sw 18k H

They have both not been fished yet. 

The 14k feels kinda rough compared to the ultra smooth 18k and if I put my ear to the bodies I hear a sort of swish..swish...swish in the 14k but not in the 18k.

They both spin very freely but the 18k feels like it's spinning in an oil bath the 14k feels 'grainy' comparatively. 

The Gears.:laugh: in all seriousness, they may have to wear into each other to properly mesh. if the surface finish is not perfect in gears they have a tendency to to that. Could also be the gears are too close together or too far apart.  Often the geary sound is a result of the gear teeth simply meshing into each other.  take the reel apart and see if it has enough grease. a proper grease film tends to quiet geary gears down quite a bit.  are you feeling any high spots? like a position or several where you feel a slight bump while cranking.  If so check the teeth for deformation.  Gears have a proper fit within thousands of tolerance to optimize performance /longevity.

"If I could have my wasted days back would I use them to get back on track? Stop to warm at karmas burning or look ahead, but keep on turning. Do I have the strength to know how I'll go? Can I find it inside to deal with what I should'nt know?"

This is a stella SW so is pretty high tolerances and not simple to service (but not impossible).

I think I will open it up and lube the main gears and worm drive.  I do have the correct shimano greases for the Stella sw.

I will not strip completely but just open up body to access gears and give them a lube.  See how it affects it. It does almost sound like there is not enough grease and the gears are 'dry' 

15 hours ago, Busanga said:

..if I put my ear to the bodies I hear a sort of swish..swish...swish in the 14k but not in the 18k.

What if you don't put it on your ear? Problem solved!? 

If you put it next to your ear you should expect to hear things. 

When you fish you don't hold you ear on the reel, why don't you fish it. 

Bearing quality with Shimano have gone downhill, some are noisy out of the factory even on Stellas. If it's not horrible and you only hear it with you year on the reel, you're probably ok. 

58 mins ago, Jig It said:

What if you don't put it on your ear? Problem solved!? 

If you put it next to your ear you should expect to hear things. 

When you fish you don't hold you ear on the reel, why don't you fish it. 

Bearing quality with Shimano have gone downhill, some are noisy out of the factory even on Stellas. If it's not horrible and you only hear it with you year on the reel, you're probably ok. 

I meant if I put it to ear I can hear it more clearly...   bit like saying tappets on my engine are knocking..  sit in car turn on ac and music and go drive.. problem solved..   :)

Interesting about the bearings, that is most probably what it is. A rough bearing..  it sort of feels/sounds like that.  

Honestly it might be the gears. I bought two brand new shimano stradics (I know not the same as a stella). One felt perfect one felt geary no matter what was lubricated. Same thing with sort of feeling it in the handle and clearly hearing it when put to my ear.  Sent it back in and they confirmed it was a bad gear set. If I'm spending stella money shimano can make sure it's perfect. 

7 mins ago, WLIStless said:

Honestly it might be the gears. I bought two brand new shimano stradics (I know not the same as a stella). One felt perfect one felt geary no matter what was lubricated. Same thing with sort of feeling it in the handle and clearly hearing it when put to my ear.  Sent it back in and they confirmed it was a bad gear set. If I'm spending stella money shimano can make sure it's perfect. 

Interesting.  That is more or less exactly what I am getting. One is absolutely buttery smooth the other is by no means.. I have smoother USD150 reels.

Question. If I do lubricate with correct shimano grease etc and doesn't go away. Will I have voided warranty in case shimano then finds is bad gears? 

Sending to shimano is big headache for me from here otherwise I would just send it. In fact I can't even contact shimano UK and USA won't play as reels were bought  in Japan.. though they are EXACT same reels.

Edited by Busanga

7 mins ago, Busanga said:

Interesting.  That is more or less exactly what I am getting. One is absolutely buttery smooth the other is by no means.. I have smoother USD150 reels.

Question. If I do lubricate with correct shimano grease etc and doesn't go away. Will I have voided warranty in case shimano then finds is bad gears? 

Sending to shimano is big headache for me from here otherwise I would just send it. In fact I can't even contact shimano UK and USA won't play as reels were bought  in Japan.. though they are EXACT same reels.

send mesage where you bouth them,where is service or what to do with this problem.

2 hours ago, Busanga said:

Can't help with the headache part. Since it's JDM, usually the place you bought it from will help.

When I got my gears replaced it was after trying shimano grease, then corrosion X, then penn out of desperation. I told that to Shimano, and I'm sure they saw that Penn blue, but they understood and it wasn't a problem. 

22 hours ago, Busanga said:

If a spinning reel gets geary what does it mean.

And what is causing the geary feeling or sound.. (and don't say the gears :) )

what is actually going on .

for eg. I have a brand new Stella sw 14k xg and a brand new Stella sw 18k H

They have both not been fished yet. 

The 14k feels kinda rough compared to the ultra smooth 18k and if I put my ear to the bodies I hear a sort of swish..swish...swish in the 14k but not in the 18k.

They both spin very freely but the 18k feels like it's spinning in an oil bath the 14k feels 'grainy' comparatively. 

I've had similar experiences with sealed reels and Shimano Stradics. If the reel isn't smooth while cranking the handle and you can feel a little bit of bite as gears mesh together, then I'd say it could be a gear tooth. Maybe one tooth wasn't cut to the same spec as the others and could need filed down (or perhaps a gear tooth is broken). I had a dud gear tooth on a reel and it led to a grainy sound while reeling. It is also possible that it is a bearing. For example, corrosion in the line roller bearing while there's tension in the fishing line sounds like a reel filled with sand but the gears themselves won't feel grainy while cranking.