Reel stuck on rod

Rate this topic

fishguy62

classic end of season endeavor for me for when I start putting things away. Once salt and sand dries up in there its such a pain. I know we're pretty reluctant to wash down VS's often cause they're bulletproof but a few maintenance cleanings of everything prevents things like this happening. Hot water and WD40 is going to be the ticket.  

12 mins ago, Jayfish said:

@XBMX would definitely know how to solve this 

Thanks for the vote Jay----If the reel seat is graphite type Fuji Style heat the locking ring area with a hair dryer stand the rod on end and tap on a hard surface. A penitrateing agent like Krole would also help.

Wrap the reel seat in a soaking wet rag for several hours. If it is dry salt, this should loosen it up.

If there is any amount of corrosion, things get more involved.

Heat pack on rod seat, on opposite side of reel or cold pack on reel stem safest option 

WD 40 or Kroil works very well, but may react with plastic parts, making the issue worse in future seasons. 

Had one stuck on years ago, so tight, I just let the reel stay on that rod. Once the rod broke, i had to dremel the reel off. 

I tried silicon grease, which I thought might be a good preventative. It just attracted sand flour and other gunk, defeating the intent.

Now I just make sure to loosen/tighten the reel seat occasionally throughout the season. Combined with the end of year cleaning, haven't had an issue since.

1 hour ago, XBMX said:

Thanks for the vote Jay----If the reel seat is graphite type Fuji Style heat the locking ring area with a hair dryer stand the rod on end and tap on a hard surface. A penitrateing agent like Krole would also help.

It’s an ODM DNA. Am I good to use the hair dryer trick? I’d rather try that before using a penetrating agent

3 hours ago, fishguy62 said:

It’s an ODM DNA. Am I good to use the hair dryer trick? I’d rather try that before using a penetrating agent

I'd do that before anything else or even hot water.

then wrap a screwdriver with one layer or duct tape and tap the reel seat all over then try loosening.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

chainsaw.jpg

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

You can also try heating up some water and pouring that over the seat screw(s). Just be careful and not make it too hot as boiling water can damage some plastics/epoxy/finish (you should be safe up to around 140 F, but some plastics can start melting around 160 F).