Big Red Sox News

Rate this topic

unskunk

5 hours ago, unskunk said:

.....supposed to be going down within the next 5 days...........

Anybody hear anything on the subject ?

Henry is selling the team to a consortium that actually wants to win? :rolleyes:

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

What are you hearing, any details?

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

I did a google search and the only thing I could see is that they may land a top Japanese pitching prospect. While they could use all the help they can get, the guy in question is still a minor league prospect. So if this comes to pass, I'll reserve my excitement until we see how he fares against major league hitters

8 hours ago, unskunk said:

WEEI was reporting that the Red Sox have "shut down" to the press for a period of 4 -5 days.........(contract negotiation ?)

reason,  not given.....

Ohtani going to Boston?

My son (who follows this stuff way more than I do) told me a week or so ago the Ohtani's camp put it out there that any team they meet with, if it gets leaked to the press that they met, that team is off the list... fwiw

2 mins ago, Finster said:

Ohtani going to Boston?

My son (who follows this stuff way more than I do) told me a week or so ago the Ohtani's camp put it out there that any team they meet with, if it gets leaked to the press that they met, that team is off the list... fwiw

I can't see the Sox spending the kind of money it's going to take to land Ohtani even with his injury from last year.

1 hour ago, Gotcow? said:

I can't see the Sox spending the kind of money it's going to take to land Ohtani even with his injury from last year.

with their luck,,the sox 'll spend 500 mil and THEN they'll find out he can't pitch anymore.............

4 hours ago, Finster said:

Is there such a thing?

that's not been my experience with teams I care about

It's what owns the Red Sox now---Fenway Sports Group LLC. Multinational sports conglomerate that also owns the NHL Penguins, and Liverpool's club in Premier League soccer. And NESN.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

ESPN+
EXCLUSIVE CONTENT
GET ESPN+

bos.png&scale=crop&cquality=40&location=

RED SOX

MLB

• schoenfield_david.png&h=80&w=80&scale=cr
    David Schoenfield, ESPN Senior Writer
  • Dec 1, 2023, 03:00 PM ET

In a historic and unprecedented move, early this morning the Boston Red Sox reportedly submitted a petition to MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred requesting that the team be formally demoted to Triple-A status.   Sources close to ownership have reported that the team's finances are the driving force behind it's bowing out of MLB, citing a longstanding lack of profitiability going back at least 15 years, despite multiple world Series titles during that time which the Red Sox have reportedly been unable to capitalize on financially.  After numerous attempts at restructuring long-term debt, Fenway Sports Group LLC, owners of the Red Sox, hope that a semi-permananet move to the minor leagues will alleviate its financial hardships by enabling it to shed massive amounts of payroll as its current players will be forced under the current collective bargaining agreement to move to other teams.  A Red Sox spokesperson was unable to comment on plans for continued use of Fenway Park, the iconic Boston Landmark which has hosted the team since 1912.

A formal announcement has yet to be made by the Red Sox, but sources within MLB indicate that a joint press conference will likely be held later today.  ESPN will continue to report on this breaking story as it unfolds.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

15 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

It's what owns the Red Sox now---Fenway Sports Group LLC. Multinational sports conglomerate that also owns the NHL Penguins, and Liverpool's club in Premier League soccer. And NESN.

I'm aware consortiums exist. I meant is there such a thing as one that wants to win...

Not in my experience there isnt